POS { - The Deathtrap Project - }

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Latest picture:

--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

Here's my new project ;)

Thanks to some inside info from Rob (of Hell on Wheels fame) I bought this kit from Gasman Bikes.

Kingsford Markets have been so good to me. I picked up this beater for $45 (shame it wasn't a Praire Breaker!).

Check the phone number, back in the day when there was no "9" in front of all our numbers.

The tubing is thin and the kit bolts straight on (kit needs modifying if you're going to whack it on a fat tubes frame). It's meant to be a ghetto build, buit I couldn't stand the colour. Being too lazy to spray it myself I dropped it off to Mr Kleen in Padstow for a $65 blast and powdercoat.

Engine is mounted, chain too. Just waiting on some forks (I think I'll run a disc up front) and some whack bars to come in.

Last edited:

mlsred

Likes Dirt
go for a set of laid back bars and turn them upside down, so it looks kinda cafe racer for a push bike

Last edited:

twc

Likes Dirt
sick

maddnesssss. i was thinking of doing something like this. exept mine was gonna go on a childs bike.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your projects dude, they keep me happy in the pants like a purple floating canalized muffin with baked rubies and hot cross buns.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Inspired. And only $250 for a kit. I think you've given me the spark to do the welding course I have wanted to do and build a frame to put one of those kits on. Try it out on a dunga bike first though.

How is the rear sprocket mounted?

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
they keep me happy in the pants like a purple floating canalized muffin with baked rubies and hot cross buns.
OK, while spanky just sits and faps off at JF's posts... your reply has him wondering.... is that supposed to be

Caramelized / analized. / Canal Lizard..

just because, purple floating analized muffin... well, that sir, is a true statement.

Bring that death trap out to the spankydome (think western sydney) and you can race all the other death traps out spank's way.

Watching this thread for all the pain.

s

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just gotten the BB on, cranks, pedals, temporary bars (ordered some massive cruiser bars which I'll run upside down) and clutch and throttle on. Bit late now but I'll post some pics tomorrow.

- The motor mounts directly to any thing tubed steel frame (it's made for roadies). A lot of the early 90's steel MTB frames used thin tubing though. I intend to race this thing against the Hell on Wheels and MC Cyclery Boys, a few of them are running roadie frames but I reckon I've got the advantage on a MTB frame! :D

The sproket is the dodgey part in my opinion, will post pics tomorrow, but it clamps down on the spokes. Hardly inspiring design wise and hard to get perfectly true. I'd love to figure out how to screw one, or weld it onto the hub somehow.

It's not as crazy, or scary as it seems though, once the engine's broken in I doubt it'll do over 45km/hr, which ain't that fast.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The sproket is the dodgey part in my opinion, will post pics tomorrow, but it clamps down on the spokes. Hardly inspiring design wise and hard to get perfectly true. I'd love to figure out how to screw one, or weld it onto the hub somehow.
Would maybe looking at mounting it onto a 6bolt disc hub work? Ala shimano xt front hub conversions for fixed gear bikes. Just a suggestion as its a bit hard to see the detail goin on there.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would maybe looking at mounting it onto a 6bolt disc hub work? Ala shimano xt front hub conversions for fixed gear bikes. Just a suggestion as its a bit hard to see the detail goin on there.

I was thinking that. Turn up a mount that bolts to the rotor mount on the hub and then blots into the sprocket. I am pretty sure the power applied to an 8-inch rotor under hugely heavy braking would be equal to anything that little engine could put out.

When I first looked at it Justin I though.....'hmm...is that sprocket mounted to the spokes?'. Unbelievable. Love to see the carnage if you gave it some stick and it snapped all the drive-side spokes.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome, can't wait to see how this turns out.

The sproket is the dodgey part in my opinion, will post pics tomorrow, but it clamps down on the spokes.
Hmm, definitely need something a bit stronger for when you bolt a big snail onto the motor. It doesn't look like you'd put down much liquorice with the current setup.

todd28

Likes Dirt
AWSOME! just a little worried about how low the exhaust is, maybe no rock gardens or hucks. Give it a go anyway :p

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update:

No instructions and no knowlegdge of engines meant that this little carby assembly (you had to connect it up to the throttle) was a fucker to figure out!!!

Clutch cable working a treat. Turns out the springs are just used as heat shields to guard the cable from the engine.

These skull caps came on my old Kuwahara BMX. Knew they'd be put to good use one day!

I'm just using Mary bars for the moment (waiting for some massive cruiser bars to flip upside down) so I've not yet put a grip on the throttle. Yellow button is a kill switch.

Saddle is temporary. I'm waiting on a sprung old skool thing but what I'd really like to do is get a saddle over the rear wheel (banana saddle + sissy bar?!).

Side on, you can see the dodgey single speed set-up here. I need to get that rear cassette off and use an SS kit. For some reason there's no fuel hose in the kit, got to go get some.

Waiting on a few other bad taste goods, more updates later!

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd really love to drop the front some. Does anyone know if my 26" front wheel will fit on a 24" fork? There's 1.5inches clearance between my front tyre and the bottom of the fork as it is now.