POS { - The Deathtrap Project - }

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just realised it's the same kit that is on the bike on page 14 of the new Revolution.

Looking sweet Justin. Any more research into a better rear sprocket setup? I'm thinking a disc hub would be best.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys.

Adamski - the kit is just a generic China made kit which is sold all over the world as different brands (importers can call it whatever they like and charge whatever they like too). The photos I've seen of the factories in China where the kits are being made are hardcore. Hand operated lathes, engines lined up on the floor. It's ghetto fabulous!

The kit is also far from new. There's a lot of cases of people having troubles with the rear sprocket, mostly getting it aligned right (ie: true) but if you spend good time on it, and use a bit of logic when attaching it (tighten in a star pattern like you would your rotors or car wheels) you should be right (mine's now true and the chainline is great).

I doubt I'll look into a better rear sprocket set-up just yet. More keen to just get it running first. :)

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah just had a squiz on the Hell on Wheels site. Pretty awesome. Definitely a tempting prospect.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome.

That's a beast. I admit I want one with with some travel like 4" or something, so I can hoon of road with it smoothly.
Have you had it going yet?

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're after some short forks, Identiti Rebates or NS RNS are both pretty short.

I doubt you'd be able to fit a 26" wheel in any 24" forks. Rebates are pretty tight with a 24" wheel anyway,but I've seen them run with 26" wheels, so you might be right...

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a small update:

Cruiser bars (upside down), 3TTT stem and Odi grips for now (lock-ons don't fit over the throttle unfortunately).

Fuel line and fuel filter installed. I need to go to Bunnings to buy some small piping clamps to prevent leaking.

I found these rad old skool Bendigo, Made in Australia mudguards on eBay.

I've got them both on for now front and back.

I also bought this kick stand which holds the bike up really well.

And I've gotten rid of the crap plastic roller on the chain tensioner and replaced it with a pulley which works better, but I'd ultimately love to have it sprung (which would work even better).

I'll get her going this week by the looks of things. Hope she starts up 1st go?!

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
This is great, man. Something original :D
Im confused. You guys dont have tons and tons of derros/bogan/druggys riding these sorts of rigs around doing 40km+ on the footpath almost taking out pedestrians all the time? Then when they are on the road ignoring every rule in the book?

Thats how wollongong is anyway :(

Worst part is it gives cyclists a bad name.

kjparker

Likes Dirt
I had one of these kits, mounted it on a cromo MTB frame.

A few things to make sure of:
  • The standard bolts in the kit are not high tensile. Do youself a favour and get some grade 8 bolts.
  • With the rear sprocket, I got some 8mm Allen Key bolts, and drilled out the holes in the sprocket and brackets.
  • A problem that can occur is the frame cracking / snapping at the seatpost where the rear motor mount bolts on. I used an additional seatpost pushed down there to re-inforce.
  • I also used a large auotmotive fuel filter and heavy automotive fuel line, the silicone stuff gave out from the vibration in no time.

Was a blast to ride though!

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
kjp: Great tips. The bolts on the whole kit are crap.

OK she's ready for fuel. All I need to do is get it down to MC Cyclery on Monday and steal some of their secret fuel mixture. Hopefully everything works?!

New rear wheel (just a cheap as chips joytech/alex/bolt up) and freewheel + magic gear!

Crazy saddle.

China dynamo to power rear light and headlight.

Headlight.

Ready!