The Demise of 'The Simpsons'.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
New Simpsons is entertaining, but so is the 7PM Project, but neither are actualy good. I don't really see the Simpsons that much, but I find a lot of it (old repeats that is) increasingly funny as I grow older and understand more of the subtle jokes and pop culture refrences.

These days it seems to be all about Homer and Bart doing stupid shit, cheap laughs.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Hate hate hate the random rubbish thrown in there a la Family Guy. Nothing beats the Simpsons, they don't need to imitate anything.

Being said though, I find American Dad much much better than Family Guy.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Ironically I think it's actually been getting a bit better recently. Whilst it will probably never be as good as it was in the mid90's, the new episodes are a vast improvement on the absolute crap they were making 5 years ago...

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Being said though, I find American Dad much much better than Family Guy.
Hit the nail on the head. Family guy is faaaar too forced.

-"This is a bit like that time when....."
-Completely irrelevant flasback.
-Cut to present, have lots of awkward silent moments.

-Copy+Paste function.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
family guy has its moments, but they are few and far between. stewey and brian are the stars and typically they're where the laughs are.

simpsons jumped the shark late 90s. i remember hanging out for the first episode of the new series and it was the one where homer's car is wheel locked out the front of the world trade centre. that episode and every one made since have been rubbish and i'm just not interested. before that, very good.

once the simpsons developers/writers got to the point where they had to re-visit old ideas and re-use them and try and milk new stories from them it was over. i saw the ep the other night where homer's mum comes back for like the 3rd time, i mean really...

futurama and king of the hill i can watch anyday and i still have a lot of time for south park except for the early ones which i've seen too many times and some of the later ones where they're a little too anti-liberal preachy for me...

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
"Don't you ever, EVER compare me to 'Family Guy,' you hear me Kyle? Compare me to 'Family Guy' again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand! Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go, "Hey Cartman, you must like Family Guy, right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of Family Guy, Cartman." I am NOTHING like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT! Not just one interchangeable joke after another!"

Last edited:

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
"Good, Kyle! That's good anger you're showing there! That's emotional character development based on what's happening in the storyline! Not at all like Family Guy."

thatguy

Likes Dirt
"Good, Kyle! That's good anger you're showing there! That's emotional character development based on what's happening in the storyline! Not at all like Family Guy."
(from southpark:p)
lottery balls- laundry, date, winning, Mexico, Gary Coleman ... a prefect family guy joke i can see it now...
peter you didn't do the laundry today
you think thats bad, remember the time i won a date to mexico with gary coleman...
flashback (mexican music) what chu talkin bout willis

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Homer ~ "Tramampoline"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homer ~ "Every time I learn something new it pushes something old out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine making course and I forgot how to drive?"

Marge ~ "That's because you were drunk!"

Homer ~ "And how"