The Derailleur Master Thread - What you need to know - many merged threads here

Bender is CRAZY

Likes Dirt
Rear Derailleurs

How do you fix a deore rear derailleur? Mine is ghost shifting and it is skipping gears. When it is on the smallest cog [8th gear], the chain is rubbing against the chain in the cage. [i'm not sure if it is the right terminology]

Rik

logged out
All sorts of reasons why it could ghost shift:

bent hanger
gummy cables (no, they're not as nice as gummy bears)
worn chain
worn cassette
combination of worn chain and cassette
pivot slop in derailleur

etc etc... So it's really hard to pinpoint problems, especially online.

zac

Likes Dirt
Electronic derailleurs

does anyone remember these from a few years back? they might have been a roadie-only bit of kit, but i was wondering if anyone knows what happened to them/why they stopped producing them? i think they were made by mavic, although not entirely sure.

Rik

logged out
Mavic made the Zap system aaaaaages ago, then the Mektronik system only a few years back.
Why they stopped producing it? Probably because it was fairly expensive, offered no huge advantages yet a whole lof of disadvantages.

wonderllama

Likes Dirt
just a question, is it the shimano airlines u r thinkin about, they were some pneumatic air pumped crap made for downhill, not too sure if thats wat u mean but just askin.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
alternative gearing systems

the electronic system was made by mavic but was discontinued because it just wan't worth the troubles. campagnolo is currently working on and electronic kit for production in the next couple of years. both designs were only ever for road bike though. i have found this though that looks very interesting for mtb's.
http://userportal.iha.dk/~20033774/THE-MA~1/hydraulic_shifting_device.htm
very interesting.

i just use gore cables and my gears never stuff up.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol, this is scary... I was just thinking of why they don't make an electic gear system just 2 mins before I turned the comp on!

All this F1 is getting me gear crazy! I soo want a BCD atm :p mmm carbon fibre! :p makes you go fast like a ferrari :D

lotec

Banned
cool can you buy that hydraulic shifting system anywhere yet? looks like it would be a very good idea/ investment

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
In principle hydraulics are great. I like the extra dangly thing on the derailleur tho. It should help catching sticks. Still after ripping my rear mech of I'd still be happy pushing home my pimp hydraulic shifting bike.

Rik

logged out
I wonder how well that hydraulic system indexes, and if temperature and other small things will affect it?

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
airlines was the biggest failure in the shamano records, didnt work at all.
id like to see a hydro derailer, but would be really curious on howed they
would make that type, would it work well?

Rik

logged out
Heh, smartass... what I mean is, with shifting you have fairly tight tolerances on a 9spd system, only a little bit out and shifting goes to hell. Would riding in different weather affect it? Will forcing a shift cause line expansion? (doubt it), will bleeding be fun?

bazza

look at me
i can see those canisters going in two seconds though....... cool ideas though, good to see people working hard on this kinda stuff though!

Emmett

Likes Dirt
I have no interest in pusuing any sort of shifting that involves hydro/electronic lines. Don't we all suffer enough with cables let alone electronic or hydro lines?? You would think that a company other than Rolhoff (forgive my spelling if it is incorrect) would come up with a shifting system that doesnt use a deralier

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
I like the look of the Honda RN01 DH bike with the gearbox in the main triangle. It really looks moto with no gears on the rear axle. There were pics of it in a recent MTBaction mag.

Given that the Honda team are in the Gold coast at the moment, I was hoping for some spy photo's. Especially if they're practicing at Tambo.

lotec

Banned
nicolai use that system as well, its basically a rohloff speedhub built into the frame and also the rear hub doesnt freewheel if yyou get what i mean, the gear is welded to the hub and there are 3 chains, the freewheel is between your legs where two of the chains join so you basically have a circular saw spinning at varying speeds between your legs :lol: fun fun fun..... oh and evil are bringing out an imperial with a g-box as well, havnt finished developing it yet though