The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Be fair, he was reading a book years above is level of comprehension.

I work with a brilliant man, world famous in his field and even outside of his field. He has a position that no national leaders are idiots. No one who competes with hundreds of thousands or even millions of people to succeed can be an idiot. If they do something we think is stupid it's most likely that we don't understand what they are doing, not that it's stupid. For the most part I agree with this, even fruit loops like Idi Amin were super cunning and understood the environment he operated in better than anyone else.

Over some horrible eastern European moonshine I asked my boss how he could reconcile GW with this perspective. My boss attempted to rationalise it but I even think he failed to do so. My guess, and that's all it is, is that you can have an idiot in a position like that only when smarter people what the idiot there so the idiot takes the risks and the blame. I don't know, I just cannot reconcile how GW got to that peak of power. I reckon he'd be a really personable and enjoyable person to be with (As long as you're out doing stuff like fishing, riding, whatever) and not talking philosophy or ideology.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Come on! Idi admin? The guy was a ruthless monster. But he didn't kill as many innocent people as GW.

I love those pics. My favourite spoof on the happless prick still remains the series of his facial expressions paired with a chimp doing the same thing.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Awesome, headed for a hung parliament in SA just what we needed. At least the two independents that need to be courted are actually of high character and decent politicians, we will see what happens. But after my previous post outlining some of the issues I have with the 12 years of Labour I can't believe Labour still have a chance to retain government albeit a minority one, well done sheeple, well done :clap2: Oh and I forgot to mention $14bn state debt.

al_

Likes Dirt
Awesome, headed for a hung parliament in SA just what we needed. At least the two independents that need to be courted are actually of high character and decent politicians, we will see what happens. But after my previous post outlining some of the issues I have with the 12 years of Labour I can't believe Labour still have a chance to retain government albeit a minority one, well done sheeple, well done :clap2: Oh and I forgot to mention $14bn state debt.
The dominant spin suggests minority governments are disfunction, chaotic and illegitimate. I think the reality is actually quite different. Compromises can be made to appear like broken promises, but policy receives greater scrutiny and ideological agendas are restricted. The frequency of these stalemates does seem to be increasing as voters are forced to choose between bad options though, which i guess is democracy in action.

SA is a really interesting case study. It is hard to generalise with a small swing to the coalition, but shifts towards the ALP against all odds in plenty of LNP seats. Difficult one to draw conclusions from at this point though. Looks a bit like the 2010 Victorian election, where both options were shit and the coalition ended up with the now infamous one-seat majority. Does seem as though Marshall might have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory though. Also interesting to see the last-minute move towards the ALP, which is unusual in itself.

Your list raises interesting points, which we face here under a liberal government. I think it is a bit naive to think a change of state government will fix all - if any - of it.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Snip...

Your list raises interesting points, which we face here under a liberal government. I think it is a bit naive to think a change of state government will fix all - if any - of it.
Change of government isn't guaranteed to fix but the government that caused the situation doesn't deserve to be in power.

al_

Likes Dirt
Change of government isn't guaranteed to fix but the government that caused the situation doesn't deserve to be in power.
I think there is a debate to be had about the genuine causes of those particular issues.

I can understand the frustration though. We have extremely similar issues in Victoria, which governments from both sides have failed to address.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I think there is a debate to be had about the genuine causes of those particular issues.

I can understand the frustration though. We have extremely similar issues in Victoria, which governments from both sides have failed to address.
Happy to debate, debate away.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Its been very gratifying to see the collapse of the green vote in Tassie.
Outside of the shooting aspect, how so? From my perspective tassie seems to be an environmental pong game. With plenty of passionate outsiders poking their noses in.

...and we can all agree that loggers are not the ultimate conservationists yeah?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
That made me LOL.

My family have been loggers for generations. :thumb:
like putting tobacco companies in charge of public health or coal seam companies in charge of local water quality.

No disrespect J@se but are loggers the best people to monitor and police the the environmental impact/ sustainability of their output/ business?