The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not sure she'll be able to carry the remaining conservatives.

Just because Abbott is on the nose doesn't mean the electorate has all of a sudden flipped. I guess some one has done the numbers and feels like she's in with a shot, though.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A couple of questions regarding this debacle.

If well-heeled inner-city Liberal voters are telling the Government to pull their necks in regarding Climate Change and donations from the coal lobby, are we going to see rural Nationals voters do the same? Surely they're the one electorate who are most at risk or do droughts have nothing to do with climate?

Secondly, my word what the fuck was Scott Morrison thinking with that embassy move bullshit? I mean, seriously!? The dopey prick is in charge of a country with the world's largest islamic nation not only right next door but in a position to control of a great deal of our international maritime access.

Not to mention that there are fairly sizeable islamic communities here and pandering to the extreme right is pretty bloody shaky in a place with compulsory voting.

It's utterly mind-boggling!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If well-heeled inner-city Liberal voters are telling the Government to pull their necks in regarding Climate Change and donations from the coal lobby, are we going to see rural Nationals voters do the same? Surely they're the one electorate who are most at risk or do droughts have nothing to do with climate?
You'd be surprised.

Kind of the opposite of hipsters telling people to stop eating meat for the environment but proceeding to do europe trips twice yearly.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
@PINT of Stella. mate!

The Embassy thing was and dripped with pure desperation. Even with the pro-Zionists in Wentworth, it was obvious that this was a hollow bone being tossed to them with a string attach to yank it back as soon as the election passed. And that’s even more insulting than not mentioning Jerusalem at all.

Just a hair to split, as it makes me feel like a big man, Indonesia doesn’t control our international maritime access at all. One might even argue, if you want to use strict naval terminology, that the Indos are so weak on the water that they don’t even control access to their own achepelagic (sp?) waters.

We can access the Indian and Pacific oceans without going anywhere near Indo waters. We can also access the South China Sea without transiting Indo waters, it just means greater time and cost to go the long way. If push came to shove we could also force our way into RI waters as our navy and air is far superior to theirs.

Their leverage over us is more market and diplomatic. However, even then, we certainly don’t want them barring us from their straits, regardless of how much stronger they are.

ualf

Likes Dirt
Big question is if there is a decent Candidate to stand against Abbott.
I would have liked to see Turnbull throw his hat in the ring for pre-selection for the seat of Warringha.

If this by-election hadn't happened, or if Dr Phelps hadn't won it (doesn't win?), I reckon she would have run as an independent against Tony Abbot just out of a sense of civic duty.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
@PINT of Stella. mate!

The Embassy thing was and dripped with pure desperation. Even with the pro-Zionists in Wentworth, it was obvious that this was a hollow bone being tossed to them with a string attach to yank it back as soon as the election passed. And that’s even more insulting than not mentioning Jerusalem at all.

Just a hair to split, as it makes me feel like a big man, Indonesia doesn’t control our international maritime access at all. One might even argue, if you want to use strict naval terminology, that the Indos are so weak on the water that they don’t even control access to their own achepelagic (sp?) waters.

We can access the Indian and Pacific oceans without going anywhere near Indo waters. We can also access the South China Sea without transiting Indo waters, it just means greater time and cost to go the long way. If push came to shove we could also force our way into RI waters as our navy and air is far superior to theirs.

Their leverage over us is more market and diplomatic. However, even then, we certainly don’t want them barring us from their straits, regardless of how much stronger they are.
That’s just it. They’ve got the power to make it a massive pain in the arse to access SE Asia and the manufacturing and trading hubs of places like Thailand Vietnam and Singapore. Don’t even get me started on how vulnerable our LNG export market would be given the location of the bulk of our fields and terminals are.

As far as forcing our way through goes, whilst we do have a technologically superior navy, it can’t be everywhere at once. The Horn of Africa experience has shown us how disruptive gangs of locals with speedboats, AK47s and mobile phones can be.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think the libs who are lining Turnbull up with the bus have forfotten he donated $16B last election which was pretty much all their campsign funds.

stirk

Burner
I think the libs who are lining Turnbull up with the bus have forfotten he donated $16B last election which was pretty much all their campsign funds.
You sure about that figure?!

I though it was only a couple of million.

Our politicians are getting worse, the crap about moving our embassy in Israel had better be a bloody stupid lie. The next election ads, smears and slogans are going to be awesome!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No matter how much the figure was, it was a big one. Fortunately Abbott and Dutton, along with their comrades, have shown us that their morals are not for sale. We should take solace.