The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That may be the case, but...surely a criminal conviction of such a serious nature would preclude someone from holding high office in the department of justice?
Gives him more experience and an advantage over other candidates i guess :D
I always wondered if he needed to pass a working with children’s check in his last job with dep of ed.
This is a good turn your life around story. family of politicians should be off limits and the general debate return to policy rather than trying to get the latest gaff or slip up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Gives him more experience and an advantage over other candidates i guess :D
I always wondered if he needed to pass a working with children’s check in his last job with dep of ed.
This is a good turn your life around story. family of politicians should be off limits and the general debate return to policy rather than trying to get the latest gaff or slip up.
Meme politics for the win.

climberman

Likes Dirt
How does someone with that on their record acquire such a position?
Yep, bit of a joke really. Jobs for the missus' boys?
He's a career public servant, has been employed and promoted by both sides of government. It's not like he has been parachuted into a role with no experience.

He was convicted and did time at ~19 y.o.
He did the crime, did the time, and is now a regular member of society.

He also has the advantage of a 'good background, good school' upbringing which no doubt helped both in the eyes of the law at the time and in the actual mechanics and support required to get clean and change one's life around.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Last time I worked for the commonwealth (as a tiny paper pushing cog) they were very eager to know if I had a criminal record, thus my curiosity about the placement. I'm all for the value of rehabilitation of those convicted of crime.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
He was convicted and did time at ~19 y.o.
He did the crime, did the time, and is now a regular member of society.

He also has the advantage of a 'good background, good school' upbringing which no doubt helped both in the eyes of the law at the time and in the actual mechanics and support required to get clean and change one's life around.
It's not as if he just got pissed one night and locked up for a few hours. Trafficking heroin! Fair enough, there are different levels of trafficking, but why should he be any different to anyone else in public life?

As Poodle said, no way Jo Common would be in a position like that with a trafficking conviction.

Maybe the private school connections helped out, maybe his conviction was not an actual "conviction", either way someone with that past should not be in charge of a justice department. IMHO of course...

climberman

Likes Dirt
It's not as if he just got pissed one night and locked up for a few hours. Trafficking heroin! Fair enough, there are different levels of trafficking, but why should he be any different to anyone else in public life?

As Poodle said, no way Jo Common would be in a position like that with a trafficking conviction.

Maybe the private school connections helped out, maybe his conviction was not an actual "conviction", either way someone with that past should not be in charge of a justice department. IMHO of course...

I dunno, I guess we all deserve a second go.

I dunno, he has end user experience now. He's a UX guy !!!!

Binaural

Eats Squid
These decisions need to be taken out of politics. Wtf is infrastructure Australia for?
Spending should be based on need and take into account all the other spending needs of a healthy and educated society.
Contracts not being open to all contenders, and public, is wrong.
The increase in releasing redacted documents is also a farce.
Politics is all about distributing resources, it's the job of politicians, hopefully well-advised by the likes of Infrastructure Australia. While I am not happy at all about that decision, I don't support state parliament handing huge, unchecked spending powers to unelected bodies, however competent they might seem right now. Better would be for politicians to put better, less avoidable rules around process to avoid this kind of bagmanship.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Politics is all about distributing resources, it's the job of politicians, hopefully well-advised by the likes of Infrastructure Australia. While I am not happy at all about that decision, I don't support state parliament handing huge, unchecked spending powers to unelected bodies, however competent they might seem right now. Better would be for politicians to put better, less avoidable rules around process to avoid this kind of bagmanship.
In the last Victorian state budget (before the election) my kids school was in a marginal seat and we had a flood of cash thrown at it by the Andrews gov.. While run down shit box schools a few km’s away in safe lib held seats got nothing.. Buying votes with public school funding is disgraceful. And both parties do it on all sorts of resources.
There has got to be a better way to distribute funding..

John U

MTB Precision
Should totally be given to unelected bodies. That’s the point. Outcomes influenced solely by the bodies designated responsibility. Only oversight by government should be to ensure that the body is addressing its designated responsibility.