The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was sarcasm. The meanness of their approach to this whole sorry saga is (from little I pay attention to anything religious...) is not in line with "christian values".

But, he does belong to a church predicated on the idea that wealth is a measure of how much god loves you....
ahhh sorry missed that - carry on

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A tight scrooge like Palmer will not spend 66 mil on advertising knowing he is going to lose, image is everything for Business people.
With all due respect, I’d say that’s a little naive. I’m not getting into tin foil hat territory to suggest a businessman would spend money on avoiding a political environment that was unfavourable.

The preference deal was made early on. I’d say it’s reasonably clear what the plan was and he just said so openly.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Funny...but I’m inclined to agree that Palmer spent $80m on his future with coal via disenfranchised Labor voters, rather than any real interest in politics.
Final approvals are a state matter. Clive has Clive's interests first and foremost in mind. New Anna has a fine line to walk before the next election. It seems that should the govt pull the pin on Adani it risks the loss of several seats. If it doesnt then a couple of brisbane seats are at risk.

My opinion is that there should be a moratorium on all coal development whether it be green or brown (black) field.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If he concentrated 100% just on QLD I'd believe that it was his plan all along. He wasted alot of money even trying here in Labor heartland Newcastle.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Clive has engineered a win-win.... he now has significant influence with the current government and yet does not have any seats... so any shady approvals that benefit him are doubly beneficial because there's no clear dirt on his hands but instead on the government.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If he concentrated 100% just on QLD I'd believe that it was his plan all along. He wasted alot of money even trying here in Labor heartland Newcastle.
It was a federal election. I still struggle to understand why you would vote local on a federal election...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
With all due respect, I’d say that’s a little naive. I’m not getting into tin foil hat territory to suggest a businessman would spend money on avoiding a political environment that was unfavourable.

The preference deal was made early on. I’d say it’s reasonably clear what the plan was and he just said so openly.
Exactly, and the simple fact is that he’s pulled this kind of thing many times before, just not with monumental price tags.

Sure, he would have liked to win a seat or two but his major goal was to block the ALP - not because he doesn’t like shorten but that he doesn’t like govts that block mining projects or that empower the green electorate.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Exactly, and the simple fact is that he’s pulled this kind of thing many times before, just not with monumental price tags.

Sure, he would have liked to win a seat or two but his major goal was to block the ALP - not because he doesn’t like shorten but that he doesn’t like govts that block mining projects or that empower the green electorate.
I wouldnt be surprised if he has a history with shorten.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Watch out - @Dales Cannon 'll rip ya head 'orf!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Exhibit A (2012):

Clive Palmer says Greens in CIA plot
March 20, 2012 — 6.09pm
Billionaire mining magnate Clive Palmer has accused the Australian Greens of being in cahoots with a "foreign power" and the CIA to eat away at Australia's economic advantage.
But he denies he is a conspiracy theorist.
Mr Palmer launched an extraordinary attack on the Greens and environmentalists during a press conference on Tuesday, saying they were being funded by the US spy agency to undermine Australia's national economy.
A leaked plan by an Australian anti-coal group to thwart coal projects is proof of the accusation, he says.
Mr Palmer said the document showed the anti-coal group was funded by the US Rockefeller Foundation, an American philanthropic group he described as a conduit of the CIA and the US government.

The alliance was trying to undermine the Australian economy and offset the geographic advantage of Australia's proximity to Asia.
"This is a serious matter indeed because it goes to the political independence of all Australians," he told journalists on Friday.
"We don't want domination by a foreign power, and that's what we've got here."
Asked what the US agenda was, Mr Palmer said, "I think they want to promote their economies at the expense of ours."
He said all Greens candidates should resign if they were being funded by a foreign political power.

"It's tantamount to treason, and something needs to be done about it."
Queensland anti-coal seam gas activist Drew Hutton, who is named in the document as part of an advisory group, was a puppet of the Americans, he said.
"Drew Hutton is a tool of the US government and Rockefeller, and so are the Greens and everything they say. It's as simple as that," he told reporters.
Mr Palmer said he was not a conspiracy theorist because "it's here in black and white".
"You only have to look at this secret budget which was passed by (the US) Congress last year, bigger than our whole national economy ... the CIA's got to ensure that.

"You only have to read the reports to US Congress where the CIA reported to the president that their role was to ensure the US competitive advantage and economic advantages.
"That's how you know it's funded by the CIA."
Mr Palmer had called the press conference to announce that he would not seek a High Court challenge against the federal government's mining tax.

Palmer does not regret CIA claims
By Nathan Paull
March 26, 2012 — 3.52pm
Mining magnate Clive Palmer does not regret saying the Greens were conspiring with the CIA against Australia's resources industry, because his comments served their purpose.

Mr Palmer told reporters in Brisbane today the claims he made last week provided enough distraction from the Queensland election campaign for negative aspects of the Liberal National Party to be overlooked.

He said the fact the claims were taken up by Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Deputy Prime Minister Wayne Swan and covered extensively in the media helped the LNP's campaign in Queensland.
"It took a great lot of attention off some of the negative aspects of the election. That was a very good thing," he said.

"It's wonderful that all of you could play a small role in having Campbell Newman elected as premier of Queensland, so well done, you all deserve a round of applause."
Asked if he had made up the claims, Mr Palmer told reporters he did not think the CIA was involved with the Greens or Greenpeace as he had previously suggested.
"That's something I wouldn't say at this stage," he said.
"A mistake doesn't become an error until you refuse to correct it, so I'm still thinking about that one.
"But let me just say I don't regret having made that statement."

Mr Palmer launched the extraordinary attack on the Greens and environmentalists during a media conference last week, saying they were funded by the US spy agency to undermine Australia’s national economy.
A leaked plan by an Australian anti-coal group to thwart coal projects was proof, he said at the time.
Mr Palmer said the document showed the anti-coal group was funded by the US Rockefeller Foundation, an American philanthropic group he described as a conduit of the CIA and the US government.
He said on Monday it was clear Greenpeace was receiving funding from the foundation but did not suggest the CIA was behind it for political reasons.
‘‘Who can say where they (the foundation) get their funding from?’’ he said.
‘‘All we can say really is that ... (when they were) founded in 1974 that half of their funding came from the Central Intelligence Agency in the United States.
‘‘And I know that’s 40 years ago. It may not be the case now.’’
Mr Palmer’s claim made national headlines, prompting Queensland and federal politicians, including Ms Gillard and Mr Swan, to comment on its credibility.
Anti-coal seam gas activist Drew Hutton threatened to sue Mr Palmer after the billionaire referred to him as a ‘‘tool of the US government’’.
Mr Hutton said Mr Palmer owed him a public apology.

‘‘I was the one person he named quite explicitly and he refused to back away from the assertion that I was an CIA operative,’’ Mr Hutton said.
‘‘It’s a despicable thing to defame someone for political advantage.’’Mr Hutton said he would not pursue a defamation lawsuit.
‘‘It’s a stupid action on his part and I am more concerned about his mental health than I am about my own good name,’’ he said.

He feared Premier Campbell Newman would not have the ‘‘gumption’’ to stand up to Mr Palmer, the LNP’s biggest donor.

So, look at his strategy of misdirection in this instance, that was used to undermine the ALP and Greens, who were active in ways that did not suit his interests.

Then, look at the kooky shit he carried on with in this election "The Chinese are building airfields in WA to invade the country and Labor is letting them" and all that shit. Also, look at where he was trying to direct preferences.

Now, tell me that you don't see a pattern here.

And this is only one example. Palmer was a political speech writer years ago and was neck deep in the LNP. He has a long history of playing games like this and he has the money to do it on a monumental scale.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.........