The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Never heard of Byrd. But Moorey is bang on anout the left being a non-event in this election.

Same story in Australia... The Greens have largely just occupied the place where Labour used to be, and it was only hardcore nutjobs spouting the nasty shit the Liberal party does now.

Although of course its still only hardcore nutjobs spouting it...

D01

Likes Dirt
Back to the domestic front...

I ran into a border force foot patrol this morning. I guess the illusion of security is still more important than actual security. I personally could not imagine a single reason for an armed 3 person foot patrol in what is mostly a residential and office area. These guys were carrying semi-automatic pistols and something that looks like a prop from (original) ghost busters, walkie-talkie in hand! I did give consideration to a coffee run or early lunch break, but if so why carry the heat? Then I thought maybe they are on a fitness regime?

View attachment 333524

I have once seen something that would've been a border security issue (a suspicious man dropped from a suspicious boat on an abandoned wharf) but it was 3am and so long ago I would've needed to find a working pay phone to do anything about it.
Border Force had a stall at a community event on the weekend. There were 4-5 guys in the tent not nearly as busy as the firies, cops, SES etc. I thought it was it was a bit curious so I straight up asked them what they were doing here, you know, what's the point of the stall, and one guy says honestly "I don't know", and then rest of them started shifting uncomfortably before one awkwardly starts on about if you see something suspicious, blah blah.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
last I have to say about hilldog is her shocking double standards, she had "a friend and mentor" a democrat and former senator. His name was Robert byrd, here is one of his classic statements

That letter stated, “I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side… Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.”

just sayin
I wasn't familiar with Byrd so had a quick google, He publicly denounced his previously held racist views back in 1982 and says being involved with racists is something he is ashamed of. What your saying isn't a lie but when important facts are withheld it might as well be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd#Race

safreek

I wasn't familiar with Byrd so had a quick google, He publicly denounced his previously held racist views back in 1982 and says being involved with racists is something he is ashamed of. What your saying isn't a lie but when important facts are withheld it might as well be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd#Race
1982, hmmm, round when political correctness was just starting, easy to denounce things but still believe. He said he only joined the klan to further his political career, recruited for them, inducted members, remember his words " joined to further his career". I guess he renounced it to " further his career". No facts withheld.
surprised none seemed to of heard of this political opportunist.
Didn't bill Clinton say he had respect for women

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hey Safreek, if Byrd is bad because he once held racist views what do you think of Bannon?
I'm sure Bannon is just fine - like Trump. They are to be applauded because they speak plainly.

Thats apparently good enough for the rednecks of the world... What you actually say is secondary.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm sure Bannon is just fine - like Trump. They are to be applauded because they speak plainly.

Thats apparently good enough for the rednecks of the world... What you actually say is secondary.
'Speaking plainly' is an interesting euphemism for that thing he does.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Pauline Hanson:

Is she a smart operator or just so crazy\dumb that it somehow works out for her?

John U

MTB Precision
Pauline Hanson:

Is she a smart operator or just so crazy\dumb that it somehow works out for her?
She appeals to the worst in people. The LNP have been doing it for years and it has worked for them. Maybe she's exploiting that.

She may also be exploiting 'I can just talk a total load of shit on something and it will appeal to people who don't analyse it, can't/won't think it through logically, or just believe anything'. These people are scattered throughout society. Someone just needs to flick their thinking switch for them. If that happens One Nations days might be short lived.