The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
I don’t vote out of self interest. I’ll willingly vote for someone/something that I believe is for the greater good, regardless if it directly benefits/hurts me personally.
As a hoooman bean, I don’t understand people who only vote for things/people that benefit them.
I know it’s an easy position when I’m pretty privileged in life as a middle class white male aged 18-50(just)
I think my favorite Everest band Propagandi said it best.
‘and yes, I recognize the irony that the very system I oppose affords me the luxury of biting the hand that feeds. but that's exactly why privileged fucks like me should feel obliged to whine and kick and scream- until everyone has everything they need.…’
This....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
I find the economic argument really interesting. If that forms the basis of people’s vote it appears to have backfired.

ALP went for a clear mandate to redistribute wealth largely by changes to taxation.

Australians in wealthier areas seemed to buy this more than in less well off electorates.

Wonder why?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I find the economic argument really interesting. If that forms the basis of people’s vote it appears to have backfired.

ALP went for a clear mandate to redistribute wealth largely by changes to taxation.

Australians in wealthier areas seemed to buy this more than in less well off electorates.

Wonder why?

I've been wondering this too,talking to a few of the more experienced guys in the team who are due hard liberals voted labour to support this redistribution.

Seems like the younger female generation voted labour. Feel like the political parties have changed their bases as of late. All Chinese around liberal, and were fiercing insuring others did too.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia

Wonder why?

Everyone wants to be rich....and when they get there, they don’t want the great unwashed taking their money. The fact that they ARE the great unwashed, will always be, and are getting screwed to prevent them ever becoming rich is lost on them in the scare campaigns.*

*gross generalizations warning.

Goats

Squid
What sort of ethics would support voting for the LNP in regards to CC or any social issue or education? Genuinely curious.

It’s clear I need to understand what happened better so I can respond to such people better.
As Zaf said, just because someone votes Libs doesn’t mean they don’t agree with some of the things Labor stood for but the extreme viewpoints were the concern.

I’m all for cleaning up the planet and doing what we do now better n the future.
But to stop mining projects, endanger the economy to try and power the country on only sun and wind is a step too far at the moment.
I pay a lot of tax and happy to do so to contribute to a great country but I bristled when I was labelled the Top end of town and told I would be forced into paying even more.
I came from a public school background,worked 2 jobs while studying at night and sacrificed a lot over 20 years to now earn a good income.
Call it self interest if you like but I make no apology for working hard to earn a good salary and as I have never been given or asked for a dollar from the government and paid my own way in life I was not so keen on the wealth redistribution plans of Bill.

The reason “such people” like myself have become the silent majority is I found in my discussions with Labor supporters was they were unwilling to concede that some of their ideals could be a little too extreme and maybe it would be beneficial for the country to find some balance and middle ground between both of our beliefs.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
But to stop mining projects, endanger the economy to try and power the country on only sun and wind is a step too far at the moment.
Have you understood that to limit the damage of CC we need to reduce CO2 emissions across all sectors by 50% by 2030 & cease emitting CO2 altogether by 2050?

Every year we don't start puts more pressure on solving the problem in the future. There is more economic danger from not solving CC. It's been modelled.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As Zaf said, just because someone votes Libs doesn’t mean they don’t agree with some of the things Labor stood for but the extreme viewpoints were the concern.

I’m all for cleaning up the planet and doing what we do now better n the future.
I pay a lot of tax and happy to do so to contribute to a great country but I bristled when I was labelled the Top end of town and told I would be forced into paying even more.
I came from a public school background,worked 2 jobs while studying at night and sacrificed a lot over 20 years to now earn a good income.
Call it self interest if you like but I make no apology for working hard to earn a good salary and as I have never been given or asked for a dollar from the government and paid my own way in life I was not so keen on the wealth redistribution plans of Bill.

The reason “such people” like myself have become the silent majority is I found in my discussions with Labor supporters was they were unwilling to concede that some of their ideals could be a little too extreme and maybe it would be beneficial for the country to find some balance and middle ground between both of our beliefs.
Holy shit! You were a full fee paying tertiary education student? How did you pay back all the cost of your public school education?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm sorry, but you cant be for cleaning up the planet and not vote for much much much more aggressive action. This is not me saying that, its every actual expert and its simply physics.

Also, addressing CC and going hard on renewables is demonstrably GOOD for the economy. I fear you've fallen victim to a scare campaign.

Labor supporters I suspect trying to point out their view is conservative. Your assertion the economy is more of a priority than cleaning up the planet is I would suggest the extreme position.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Public schooling is also funded. Weirdly enough.
Yes, but if you have never been given a dollar this would indicate paying it back yeah?

Why do so many people think going through public school and then earning big dollars makes them a fucking hero? I know a guy who went to a couple of expensive and conservative private schools but is a raving left lunatic working a minimum wage job with a big collection of bikes and access to the internet...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

Your education was paid through govt subsidies.

You’re posting about politics on the internet, you’re not silent.

The rest I have no problem with.

Haakon

Why did you bristle? Whats wrong with being called the top end - from what you wrote you're proud of getting ahead and I'd have thought it was a compliment. And with all that success, you would be proud to give back to the society that produced the conditions and opportunities for that success.

I must call it self interest. And thats fine as far as it goes, but as I read it the case was made that there was too much help given to those such as yourself who are able to look after themselves.

How much is enough? Your words come across (noting I dont know you and with a few hours and few beers the picture may well be different) as bit surly and petulant at the idea of tax being paid at all.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Considering there is full towns going fully solar and wind powered, why is achieving or striving to ahcieve this so hard for people? Is it the major cities that require such high amounts that makes people feel it isn't doable? Or scared it's not reliable? Every electrician I've spoken to won't touch solar yet which is interesting.

Haakon

Considering there is full towns going fully solar and wind powered, why is achieving or striving to ahcieve this so hard for people? Is it the major cities that require such high amounts that makes people feel it isn't doable? Or scared it's not reliable?
But to stop mining projects, endanger the economy to try and power the country on only sun and wind is a step too far at the moment“

Is also a blatant misrepresentation and grossly simplistic assessment of the situation and the proposed approach to energy... Again - scare campaign.

It saddens me that people’s opinions are so easily bought.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
But to stop mining projects, endanger the economy to try and power the country on only sun and wind is a step too far at the moment“

Is also a blatant misrepresentation and grossly simplistic assessment of the situation and the proposed approach to energy... Again - scare campaign.

It saddens me that people’s opinions are so easily bought.
Yeah it's that statement that had me thinking. If now isn't the right time, then when is? No one's been able to answer that. Even if they get their national debt erased, still hearing that isn't the right time..feel like it's people in their 40s and 50s wanting their first home..always say it has to X suburb, but not in budget. They'll blame everyone else, but won't consider another one that can tend to have the elements they love in their price point. (inner eastern Melbournians looking at you)

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I've realised that as much as I've heard the Liberal "we're good at the economy" claim I haven't seen compelling evidence to support it. Where did it come from and what is it backed by?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've realised that as much as I've heard the Liberal "we're good at the economy" claim I haven't seen compelling evidence to support it. Where did it come from and what is it backed by?
Labor don’t have a rebuttal for it, that’s why it keeps being spruked.

Haakon

I believe it was from Howard passing off the good luck (and the squandering) of the mining boom and record spending as good management. Happy to be corrected on that...