The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We get the government we deserve.
I'm afraid that's true, I am a centralist, I probably liked Malcolm's policy approach most, although it seems neither Liberals or Labor liked it!

It's just a shame everything has to be geared towards a short term cycle.

Australia's no orphan of course and finding an effective way to govern appears to be a challenge for much of the world.

scblack

Leucocholic
Honestly, I’m just trying to learn... It’s clear I’ve missed something big and I need to know what.

Not much that makes much sense to me, but early days. I’m still pretty numb and disgusted, I’m hoping I can be more rational soon.

But the result still feels irrational and it hurts that so many (a decisive number I fear) based their decision on easily disproven lies. Still don’t know what to do with that...
There is no big issue. Its nothing big. Its nothing mind boggling. You can go to bed and still wake up with the sun shining on you tomorrow.

The answer is other people on this planet have different views to you. Simple answer isn't it.

And believe me, I am sooo glad I do not share your views. Every issue has more than one correct answer, or at least more than one way to solve the issue. Why do you possibly imagine your view is the only one that will work? Seriously, MOST people in Australia currently disagree with you. Fact.

People who are far smarter and sharper than I'll ever hope to be voted Liberal, due to the fact they could make their OWN mind up on issues. A view that they BASED their decision on lies is shallow and small minded. Get your head out of your arse on that idea.

Open your eyes to the fact that politics is not black and white. Every issue can be shaded how you wish. I have long concluded that people smarter than me voted Labor, due to their own analysis of issues. But this week, the majority of people made their own considered decision, and that decision is different to yours. Find a way to deal with it.

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly, I’m just trying to learn... It’s clear I’ve missed something big and I need to know what.

Not much that makes much sense to me, but early days. I’m still pretty numb and disgusted, I’m hoping I can be more rational soon.

But the result still feels irrational and it hurts that so many (a decisive number I fear) based their decision on easily disproven lies. Still don’t know what to do with that...
Only one solution, get out on the bike for a ride!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That's because there is no specific 'how'. Merely a vast range of potential options, each with their set of social, political, environmental and economic wrinkles. Science has, to some extent, described these options but it is up to the wider community (and the people that represent them politically) to pick which ones they feel would be the most effective.

But we can't. That's why CC is well known as a 'wicked problem'. One of a number of them actually.

My view is that there is no solution to human induced climate change. It's built into too many future generations for the current generations to effectively plan for and respond to in a meaningful fashion. All we can do is reduce our emissions as much as we can and as fast as we can manage without advancing instability in our society. This is happening to some extent. Clearly not as fast as some would like but it never will.

What's not happening is adaptation. There are very few countries that have an adaptation plan more effective than suggesting punters by better air conditioning. The lack of adaptation planning and resilience development policy in this country is appalling.

Of course, this would still be the case if the other lot won too. But that's the nature of things. And it's why I'm not that disappointed by the outcome. Simply because it would have made very little difference...at least in the climate and environmental space.

If nothing else...I do hope that we all develop some courage over the coming years to not fear change...climate or otherwise.
There’s been plenty of hows proposed, with the wrinkles blown up as insurmountable. They’re not, or at least they were not 30 years ago when the fossil fuel lobby started pushing back.

You should fear this change.

Haakon

There is no big issue. Its nothing big. Its nothing mind boggling. You can go to bed and still wake up with the sun shining on you tomorrow.

The answer is other people on this planet have different views to you. Simple answer isn't it.

And believe me, I am sooo glad I do not share your views. Every issue has more than one correct answer, or at least more than one way to solve the issue. Why do you possibly imagine your view is the only one that will work? Seriously, MOST people in Australia currently disagree with you. Fact.

People who are far smarter and sharper than I'll ever hope to be voted Liberal, due to the fact they could make their OWN mind up on issues. A view that they BASED their decision on lies is shallow and small minded. Get your head out of your arse on that idea.

Open your eyes to the fact that politics is not black and white. Every issue can be shaded how you wish. I have long concluded that people smarter than me voted Labor, due to their own analysis of issues. But this week, the majority of people made their own considered decision, and that decision is different to yours. Find a way to deal with it.
It’s a simple answer. Finding out why is trickier...

My point is that many people didn’t make a considered decision. Or made a decision on incorrect information - this is not shallow minded or small minded, it’s simply a demonstrated fact.

Is the AEC small minded and shallow? This wouldn’t be needed if there was no false data being put out there... https://www.aec.gov.au/elections/electoral-advertising/stopandconsider.htm

Dealing with it will require working out how that can be avoided so that people can in fact make a considered decision.

As for CC, the problem is dictated by physics, it’s not a matter of opinion. Just understanding.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Is this woman trying to sneak a handful of Dutton's junk?
View attachment 353119

And what about that hopeful and euphoric facial expression???
Doubtful, her hand is nowhere near his forehead. I think she’s trying to steal his wallet because she’s a dotty old retiree with a NG property and share portfolio and thinks Labor won.

Mr Adonis

Likes Bikes
WOW - all these links to articles from The Guardian, (the most left wing media outlet in the world), telling us we are headed to a climate disaster, who would have thought that!
I too can provide stacks of links to articles proving all this is a scam..
Im not stating i dont want a cleaner environment, its just that humans produce so little of the earths carbon, that we make f@ck all difference,
Al Gore, the darling of the Global warming brigade(now Climate Change), NEVER debates skeptics - why?
Also, reading the comments section in THE AGE (and some here) regarding the election, I see people blaming Murdoch, oil companies, conservatives been uneducated, etc....no-one has blamed Russia yet!
On the other hand, you have Get Up, ABC, main stream media, ALL shoving down our throats how important CC is - but you still lost.
Young people might care about so called climate change, but when youre married, kids, mortgage, paying bills, job security, come top of the list.

Haakon

WOW - all these links to articles from The Guardian, (the most left wing media outlet in the world), telling us we are headed to a climate disaster, who would have thought that!
Im not stating i dont want a cleaner environment, its just that humans produce so little of the earths carbon, that we make f@ck all difference,
Al Gore, the darling of the Global warming brigade(now Climate Change), NEVER debates skeptics - why?
Also, reading the comments section in THE AGE (and some here) regarding the election, I see people blaming Murdoch, oil companies, conservatives been uneducated, etc....no-one has blamed Russia yet!
On the other hand, you have Get Up, ABC, main stream media, ALL shoving down our throats how important CC is - but you still lost.
Young people might care about so called climate change, but when youre married, kids, mortgage, paying bills, job security, come top of the list.
Please give us the links. I for one will be bloody relieved to know it’s not a problem!!!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you go back and look at the people that predicted the election result it was mostly sky news “after dark” I wonder if this was bias or good analysis. Journalists were pretty lazy this election and not a lot got out on the ground or left the main cities and just reported in the polls. The crew at the abc got it wrong and once again I am not sure if it was bias or just bad analysis. There was a guy that analyzed social media trends in key seats and predicted the result.

Haakon

If you go back and look at the people that predicted the election result it was mostly sky news “after dark” I wonder if this was bias or good analysis. Journalists were pretty lazy this election and not a lot got out on the ground or left the main cities and just reported in the polls. The crew at the abc got it wrong and once again I am not sure if it was bias or just bad analysis. There was a guy that analyzed social media trends in key seats and predicted the result.
It wasn’t bias, it’s just poll methods have not kept up. That will change in Australia after this election!! After dark I would say was more likely to be biased, pretty sure they’re contactually obliged to say the LNP is awesome always!

Most media outlets and pretty much everyone used the old methods and didn’t deal with social media. I think calling people will stop and keyword searches of spacebook and twits etc will be used.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It wasn’t bias, it’s just poll methods have not kept up. That will change in Australia after this election!! After dark I would say was more likely to be biased, pretty sure they’re contactually obliged to say the LNP is awesome always!

Most media outlets and pretty much everyone used the old methods and didn’t deal with social media. I think calling people will stop and keyword searches of spacebook and twits etc will be used.
This reads funny as you just said it was not biased bad polls then you said it was biased. I get what you mean :D

I don’t have an issue with biased media in a commercial sense as people don’t always by media for politics. I think we should still limit ownership to encourage diversity of views.
I do have an issue with the ABC being too city centric and think they should plug the gap in region areas. The ABC should be the platform for new talent. I don’t think the ABC should be a long term career for their stars getting very high salaries. They should pay a reasonable wage and plug these funds back into products and services where needed and give new talent a go. The ABC buys a lot of shit content as well, I would rather they make their own shit content.

SKy news seems to have become the retirement home for politicians and their staffers. They just seem to rehash both major party lines of the day. It’s pretty boring for me.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Great platform to be running on. Coming with problems and no solutions.
Try again next term.
Have you noticed that people don't like being told what to do?

There's plenty of potential solutions...we just haven't attempted any because there is no coherent political or social will to pick a few and try them. And there hasn't been for the last two decades... regardless of who's running the show.

The only platform I have is on my pedals.

Reactions: Zaf

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You know there's a whole country above Melbourne? Have you tried expressing your views to the guys and girls trying to feed their livestock up here?

Also:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05...les-out-running-for-labor-leadership/11130940

Haakon

This reads funny as you just said it was not biased bad polls then you said it was biased. I get what you mean :D

I don’t have an issue with biased media in a commercial sense as people don’t always by media for politics. I think we should still limit ownership to encourage diversity of views.
I do have an issue with the ABC being too city centric and think they should plug the gap in region areas. The ABC should be the platform for new talent. I don’t think the ABC should be a long term career for their stars getting very high salaries. They should pay a reasonable wage and plug these funds back into products and services where needed and give new talent a go. The ABC buys a lot of shit content as well, I would rather they make their own shit content.

SKy news seems to have become the retirement home for politicians and their staffers. They just seem to rehash both major party lines of the day. It’s pretty boring for me.
Haha, yeah... I don’t tend to think of sky as media though...

The ABC had to close a lot of rural operations when Abbott first slashed their budget (remember that promise of his?). The ABC is likely to be subject to at least an attempt to privatise it this term I think.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...job-and-programming-cuts-20190520-p51p8g.html