The future of bikes and prices

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
As someone who bought a stupidly expensive bike, for me it wasn't about the tech, it was a yolo/bucket list scenario.

Would I have been happy on a $4k bike? Absolutely, it's what I was aiming for before I asked the right question to the right person. Would I spec Di2 again? Maybe, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. High end DT Swiss wheels? Probably not of the floor, but they'd rock up eventually.

The thing is I don't replace whole bikes very often, so I go big when I do and replace parts as needed. Doing that means I miss all the 'have to have' upgrades that roll out every 6 months.

safreek

Disagree.

There are virtually no 10 year old frames that would fit someone 6 foot plus.
Peaty is about 6 foot 4, I am assuming Nate Rennie is similar. Didn't seem to have trouble winning on frames from 15 + years ago.
Correct me if I am wrong but they were 26r as well. Fuck me, impossible for them to win on tiny unusable frames with toy wheels.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I'm genuinely shocked by the $$ being spent on bikes by regular riders these days.

You always get enthusiasts spending big on their passion, and I think that's awesome, but there seem to be alot of ordinary riders out on the trails riding expensive bikes that are way more bike than they need.

safreek

Peaty is about 6 foot 4, I am assuming Nate Rennie is similar. Didn't seem to have trouble winning on frames from 15 + years ago.
Correct me if I am wrong but they were 26r as well. Fuck me, impossible for them to win on tiny unusable frames with toy wheels.
I am talking dh bikes by the way, but with shorter travel bikes how about longer stem, setback seat post, all the usual tricks.
People on retro sites seem to enjoy riding bikes from that era and before, some of them are up to 6 foot 8.
Guess if you enjoy riding real bikes you find a way.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hahahahaaaa!!!! Funny you bring that up:

Someone had to win back then. Doesn't mean that the bikes worked as well as they do now.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Just because you can doesn’t mean its good.
Them winning is more of a credit to their abilities than it is how good the bikes were.

Old mtb frames feel shit to ride. Your not tall, you wouldn’t understand.

safreek

Just because you can doesn’t mean its good.
Them winning is more of a credit to their abilities than it is how good the bikes were.

Old mtb frames feel shit to ride. Your not tall, you wouldn’t understand.
You are correct, I am the perfect height so most things fit like a xxl condom, born lucky I guess.
I also feel sorry for tall people as they can never get nice looking clothes that fit. That must suck

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm genuinely shocked by the $$ being spent on bikes by regular riders these days.
Same here. As a lysterfield local since 5, I've noticed the bikes get ridiculously more expensive while the trails get easier and easier there. Most epic ride there I've had in a while is 27th Dec 2018 where me and my mates were on the side fixing a flat. Me with my bling new tyres and I think we had a new dropper and knee pads for the tother two blokes. Out of nowhere a swarm of bees came out and yeah nah it was just the sound of expensive sounding ratchets from a train of 12 ridiculously high end bikes that looked to be basically new christmas pressies. We were in awe that almost $100k of bike had just blown by us. As a kid I think there were more kids on kmart bikes than anything.

safreek

Same here. As a lysterfield local since 5, I've noticed the bikes get ridiculously more expensive while the trails get easier and easier there. Most epic ride there I've had in a while is 27th Dec 2018 where me and my mates were on the side fixing a flat. Me with my bling new tyres and I think we had a new dropper and knee pads for the tother two blokes. Out of nowhere a swarm of bees came out and yeah nah it was just the sound of expensive sounding ratchets from a train of 12 ridiculously high end bikes that looked to be basically new christmas pressies. We were in awe that almost $100k of bike had just blown by us. As a kid I think there were more kids on kmart bikes than anything.
Now that I have been made aware of the problems for certain peeps I understand their hatred of the older bikes. If I had ten grand to spend in a bike it would definitely be spent on, well, straight 8, karpiel apocalypse, Cannondale prophet and still have a couple of grand left for a big bag of rock, who wants to come for a ride o_O

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

You always get enthusiasts spending big on their passion, and I think that's awesome, but there seem to be alot of ordinary riders out on the trails riding expensive bikes that are way more bike than they need.
Oi! I resemble that remark.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m preparing my flame suit .......
For all the E-haters out there ( and I will say that there are more online than on trail ....)

The biggest developments will come from better range / battery life , lighter frames and far more capable bikes .

And I cannot wait !
Next years bikes will be awesome , far more than I’ll ever need , but I want it .
Lighter , further , faster .
I love to ride my e-bike it has opened up so many opportunities for me - as someone stated earlier “ you are not earning your ups “
Man o Man the downs are well earned , along with the cross country and the ups just get better .

E- bikes will be more affordable than standard bikes , with 12-18 months .
Enjoy the ride !

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
my point is that while I agree with you Zaf that the USA is the home of innovation they are also a society out of control and not to be idolised about everything they do.
The whole mtbiking thing to me is just not about technology , the other tech , technique is more important.
So if something doesnt work IMO get lessons rather than a new bike.

teK--

Eats Squid
They most certainly do R&D several years ahead of product launches. That is, they drip feed incremental improvements each year to suit their R&D payback timelines, and also what their competitors are doing.

They would not want to be in a position to not have something "new" to release in any given year to justify people to want to upgrade again. They also want to have a response to the release of a competitor's product.

This is often why products get released prematurely before proper testing is completed.

There is the odd exception, like Shimano and 12 speed. They totally missed the boat by a few years in that respect.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m preparing my flame suit .......
For all the E-haters out there ( and I will say that there are more online than on trail ....)

The biggest developments will come from better range / battery life , lighter frames and far more capable bikes .

And I cannot wait !
Next years bikes will be awesome , far more than I’ll ever need , but I want it .
Lighter , further , faster .
I love to ride my e-bike it has opened up so many opportunities for me - as someone stated earlier “ you are not earning your ups “
Man o Man the downs are well earned , along with the cross country and the ups just get better .

E- bikes will be more affordable than standard bikes , with 12-18 months .
Enjoy the ride !
I am not sure how far e-bike development can push the next tech in normal mtbs as I don't see that much opportunity. Cheaper 4 piston calipers - done. Maybe gearboxes?

I highly doubt e-bikes will become more affordable than normal bikes.
I do think they will become on par with price and equipment compared to boutique brands.
Which will then make it much harder for the boutique brands to sell normal bikes.
What happens next is anyones guess.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah true innovations will come with ebikes next .
Electronically adjustable suspension would be good.
Current mountain ebikes going downhill feel like motorbikes , where the tail wags the dog.
I will be buying one when the weight comes down with better batteries and motors eg tempted by the Focus Raven 2 ebike .