The Gran Turismo 5/ Racing simulator Thread.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm Slowly learning how to get faster. M3 time of 1:33.695. That'll do for this one. Slower is faster!

Seasonal races are pretty fun, lots of money!. Update took <6min :p

As far as Time trials go, All i can think about is a Unlimited Subaru v Evo on Tsukuba, but i don't know what other people want so I'll leave it for someone else instead of plucking a random car/track combo.

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Race Indianapolis in Like The Wind series, 70K and you can win easy with a fully modded ZR1 Corvette, race mod it then go to mods and get the rest you can.
Worst advice ever haha... wasted like 600g on that and bupkis.

PSN: hamsquish - if anyone wishes to add me... mention RB as well ;)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I just tried the second lot of seasonals. Golded the first 3 , silvered the RX7 one (5 seconds behind:p) and cant even catch the next car in the Nascar / Nurburgring event !:confused:
I think the NASCAR race is actually some sort of bizarre Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/Inception style event where you are put into the mind of a NASCAR driver who is in a coma after a stack and is currently living out his worst possible nightmare (147 corners! All your mates/colleagues are thrashing you! Europe!!!).
There is just no way in hell the other drivers can be cutting lap-times that quickly in those cars - and even if there was the slimmest chance it was possible, there's just no way you could ever claw your way up to first with the head start they have!

Anyway, loving the new seasonal stuff although it'll take me a while to enter all the events as I went and accidentally blew my last 500,000 credits after spying an XJ220 in the 2nd hand market when I'd had a few drinks. Have done the Fiat 500 (came 4th), the Challenger (11th but I'll be working on that one!) and an inevitable 12th in the Nurburgring. Next up I think I'll go for the Focus one as I think I've got enough credits for that.

Staying on the seasonal note, how funny is the Kenny G/ Hotel lobby -style version of Jingle Bells playing in the main menu at the moment!

Worst advice ever haha... wasted like 600g on that and bupkis.
Nope, you're just driving it wrong. Remember you can alter your gear ratios and downforce for each circuit. Indy is piss easy once you get the hang of it. All you need to do is work out a downforce/gear ratio combo that you're happy with and slipstream the f*** out of the joint.

As for Daytona, it's got corners so set your car up accordingly and just go easy on the throttle when coming out of the bends as it's easy to spin out (or just slap on the traction control)

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Golded the first round of seasonal events finally !

I just tried the second lot of seasonals. Golded the first 3 , silvered the RX7 one (5 seconds behind:p) and cant even catch the next car in the Nascar / Nurburgring event !:confused:
How did you do so well in the RX-7 Challenge? I have the best premuim RX-7, and have modified it as much as I can and the best I can get is 7th?

Not trying to boast, but I am better than average in the game, and have golded most events first go, yet this one has stumped me? I have golded the nascar challenge, so surely this RX-7 challenge is easier yes?

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
POSM , I'm loving the Kenny G elevator music ! :D

How did you do so well in the RX-7 Challenge? I have the best premuim RX-7, and have modified it as much as I can and the best I can get is 7th?

Not trying to boast, but I am better than average in the game, and have golded most events first go, yet this one has stumped me? I have golded the nascar challenge, so surely this RX-7 challenge is easier yes?
I have no idea , I bought a used Bathurst R model , tuned it and hit the track. Its very tail happy , I'm not into drifting usually , but you don't have a choice in this car. Worst thing was I got into 2nd place with a lap and a bit to go , saw a car up ahead , caught it fairly quickly but then realised that wasn't the leader , I'd just lapped last place.

I've got Nascar laps at the Ring down to 6.55 now , I can see this event is doable but the RX7 event......I think I need to try a different model ? I can't get this one to lap any better than 1:01.XXX

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
THERE WAS A JINGLE BELLS MENU SONG ON CHRISTMAS DAY!!! I was amazed.
Anyway, anyone who wants to lend me one of those "sport trucks", please do, PSN is Xx-DMN8-xX

Likes Dirt
THERE WAS A JINGLE BELLS MENU SONG ON CHRISTMAS DAY!!! I was amazed.
Anyway, anyone who wants to lend me one of those "sport trucks", please do, PSN is Xx-DMN8-xX
I'll trade you an F-150... easy to win the pickup competition with, stock.
Not asking for much, just a car in return, doesn't have to be anything special

nskz

Likes Dirt
So these seasonal events...are they even remotely possibly with no driving aids without inordinate amounts of time spent attempting them? Case in point the RX7 one. I bought the best FD RX7 new from Nissan did every mod possibly to it and tuned it to within a few hp of the limit. To say the event is difficult in an understatement, you need to run consistent 1:00.5xx times to get even close to the leader. On my best attempt I finished 0.1 behind, to say I was annoyed is an understatement....so pissed off, wanker had the audacity to block me :(

I consider myself a pretty handy steerer so I jumped on GTplanet as I assumed others would be having the same issues. I then read that people are resorting to turning skid control on in order to complete it as it gains you about 2 seconds per lap enabling you to easily lap sub 1 min...well that's retarded. Yeah it can be done, given my best result, but driving an FD RX7 with the setup required to go that fast for 10 laps absolutely flat out and avoiding the retarded AI cars is very, very difficult.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought the best FD RX7 new from Nissan...
Buying an RX7 from Nissan might be your first problem. :p Just kidding.

But yes on a serious note, that RX7 challenge is driving me mental. Have got second so many times now I am almost over it, but that said there is another 180k sitting there for the taking. Might give the Skid Recovery trick a shot tomorrow and see if I can actually win the challenge.

They certainly up'ed the level of difficulty from the previous set of Seasonal Events.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I caved.

Turned on driver aids for the RX7 and nascar events. It was a very "arcade" experience. I feel dirty...... :eek:

I did my first enduro , Grand Valley 300. I chose a mild tune GTR R35 and slayed them. Had 3 laps to go and the fuel gauge hit red. Was very tempted to see if the cars actually stop running in GT5 or whether they can crawl back to the pits at 40km/h when "out" of fuel. ...... but I refuelled. :D
Didn't want to risk wasting 2 hours if she stalled !

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I caved.

Turned on driver aids for the RX7 and nascar events. It was a very "arcade" experience. I feel dirty...... :eek:

I did my first enduro , Grand Valley 300. I chose a mild tune GTR R35 and slayed them. Had 3 laps to go and the fuel gauge hit red. Was very tempted to see if the cars actually stop running in GT5 or whether they can crawl back to the pits at 40km/h when "out" of fuel. ...... but I refuelled. :D
Didn't want to risk wasting 2 hours if she stalled !
Yeah I gave the no fuel thing a shot, just to see what happens. You put around limited to 80km/h. Rather boring, but I know for sure in something like the Nurburing 24hr, you would not want to run out of fuel a few corners in and have 18 odd Km's back to the pits at 80.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
What a piece of fucking shit. I can't do anything without the game fucking freezing. Can't go into the lobby. Find 0 rooms. DO fucking shit all... fuck this!

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
I'm loving playing gt again after so long, but cant help feeling a little cheated. No, not the absurdly expensive cars or the inept "b-spec bob", just the lack of performance mods... such as engine transplants, not being restricted to a specific aspiration type, more bodykit choices on cars that ARE NOT japanese... little things like no option of a clutch and not being able to use the in-car view on most cars is a bit annoying too. all in all its a very good game but compared to forza *insert funny looks, death threats, arguments against*, it just lacks the depth that ive come to expect from gran turismo or simulators in general for that matter.:confused:

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I'll trade you an F-150... easy to win the pickup competition with, stock.
Not asking for much, just a car in return, doesn't have to be anything special
I take that back, turns out youi can't even buy one! :mad:
I'll swap you temporarily, Xx-DMN8-xX.

Cheers, Ty.

Also, need to figure out how to start up a lobby or something so I can get a few of us together one night this week for a few races.
How does Tsukuba Circuit, 5 laps with a something small, thinking along the lines of a VW Lupo, 5 laps with a Nissan Skyline of any sort, and 5 laps with ANY car of your choice sound?

Bodin

GMBC
What a piece of fucking shit. I can't do anything without the game fucking freezing. Can't go into the lobby. Find 0 rooms. DO fucking shit all... fuck this!
Once the steam stops pouring out of your ears, I recommend you get your PS3 looked at.

Game runs flawlessly for me and not one other person has posted anything negative in this thread.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Once the steam stops pouring out of your ears, I recommend you get your PS3 looked at.

Game runs flawlessly for me and not one other person has posted anything negative in this thread.
After a bit of research and looking at my settings, I had connected to the wrong router in my house, and causing the PS3 to search for over 5 mins for the servers. After connecting to a closer router it seems to work, but that could have just been luck. Will check again tonight.

Add me guys: Gluey_Tr756

Running the G27 Logitec wheel and stuff so it's good fun.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
M3 Time Trial
nskz 1:33.139
Steve-0 1:33.695
riderseventy7 1:34:060
Spinner 1:35.081
3viltoaster 1:38:309
nskz Again! Congratz! That's a damn quick time. I'll sort out a prize next time I'm online. I liked that challenge, It was the perfect track with a good short length with fast sections and tight slow sections and a moderately fast car.

Next Time Trial?? I'll leave it for one of you guys to post up otherwise i'll post one tomorrow. These events are really making me faster as i see your times and go "how the hell did he get that fast????" and find ways to improve. I've always dominated other car racing games on normal difficulties but this is my first GT and it's ALOT harder.

Oh, I bought a Lotus Elise 111R and fully kitted it out, gets like 310HP @ 710kg or something. It feels like it's on rails and you can brake so late (or never) it's incredible. BUT It's slower then my GTR... How fast can you go on Tsukuba? Anyone got sub 50s in a Jap car?

Also Where are these endurance races and what level do you need to be?