The "HARDEST" marathon award goes to??

Knut

Troll hunter
You Yangs Yowie

If this one day classic was easy, we would have called it a Marathon.

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
My vote goes to the Highland Fling 100 Mile option. You do the middle Forest section (which is the toughest - lots of up/down twisty singletrack) twice! You need to be truckin' just to hit the cut-offs. Want to be really tough? Do it on a one speed. Want to be ultra tough? Do it on a one speed cyclocross!!!

HillBilly

bear the bear

Is a real bear
My vote goes to the Highland Fling 100 Mile option. You do the middle Forest section (which is the toughest - lots of up/down twisty singletrack) twice! You need to be truckin' just to hit the cut-offs. Want to be really tough? Do it on a one speed. Want to be ultra tough? Do it on a one speed cyclocross!!!

HillBilly
Funny, cause I found The Doctor harder than the 100 mile fling last year.
I enjoyed the 100miler all the way, but for the Angry Doctor I just wanted it to be over by about the 80k mark.
BTW I heard a rumor that their might be a 100 mile option for the Doctor this year...anyone know more?

carbs

Likes Bikes
I enjoyed the 100miler all the way, but for the Angry Doctor I just wanted it to be over by about the 80k mark.
I agree with that, except i wanted the angry docter to finish about the 60km mark,i've never felt so bad like in the doctor.

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
BTW I heard a rumor that their might be a 100 mile option for the Doctor this year...anyone know more?
Wow - there you go. I haven't done the Angry Doctor and therefore wrongly assumed the 100 mile Fling would be tougher. I recall someone doing the Doctor fixed a couple of years ago.. There's a hard man award recipient.

I might have to give myself a Father's Day present this year and sign up to the Doctor to see what all the fuss is about.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I can only comment on the Fling or the Angry Doctor but I always say the doctor is tougher but I always get about two thirds through the Fling and remind myself it's a bit tougher than I remember.
I reckon any 100k race is hard and the more single track, the more taxing, but you dont realise till you've disappeared into the pain cave 'cos your havin' fun.
And definitely somewhere between 60-70k in the Angry Doctor is where the pain takes hold for me.

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
Maybe this might all change after the Nemesis Marathon in April, looks tough but it is 10klms less than Otway Odyssey and majority of other marathons mentioned here, probably not as much singletrack as the others either, in any case it looks tough, will look forward to the rider feedback after that race

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Terra Australis

I know the Terra Australis is not a Marathon event according to the definition being used here, but those who like marathon events might be considering it.

I was chatting with Paul from Finish Line Events this morning and he mentioned that the entries for T. A. will be closing today. I guess if you were planning to do it, you would have organised a partner, entered and been training for months already. However if you run your life like I do, you may may need a reminder.

N.B. I checked, Finish Line will not take children as payment. So another year goes by. To quote Russell Morris, "Some day I'll have money."

drew.d

Likes Bikes
Doctor?

I can't really contribute, because the only 100km I've done is the Doctor this year past. I said that to a few people down there, and they all said I was crazy to do this one first, because it was the hardest... My response was, 'you might as well start at the top'.

As for the pain threshold, I recall the last, big climb of the day was somewhere between 70-75 I think...