The Husky 100ker

tcurr

Squid
That would be great. I dont think anyone minds the different waves - if there is someone that has made up 2mins, then good on them. Its just sprinting within each wave - as I assume the waves will be grouped by ability anyway.
I agree - a mass start would never work.
Same start time, within each group, would be ideal.

And thanks for taking the time to listen - small changes make a huge difference.
I think some races do do this - others don't. I agree its better if everyone in the same wave has the same time

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Or armed with this knowledge, start at the back of your start group and cross the mat as late as possible, then race back on to the back of the bunch knowing you've got a sneaky two minutes up your sleeve. :p
It would turn into the MTB equivalent of a Track sprint race - the whole field track-standing until someone breaks! Who can start the latest!

JD26

Likes Dirt
I've got my race tactic sorted now for the Husky.

Start late in the pack and wheelsuck the man in black!

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I think it makes sense for the elite field ie those who are actually racing for positions, start and finish in a relatively small, tight group and who have a decent idea of who they are competing against.

But for punters like me, who are basically just aiming to finish, I quite like it that my time is the same regardless of where I start.

My general observation is that there are a lot who overestimate their self seeding and I reckon starting the whole wave with the same time is only going to encourage people to jostle for position on the start line.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
I think it makes sense for the elite field ie those who are actually racing for positions, start and finish in a relatively small, tight group and who have a decent idea of who they are competing against.

But for punters like me, who are basically just aiming to finish, I quite like it that my time is the same regardless of where I start.

My general observation is that there are a lot who overestimate their self seeding and I reckon starting the whole wave with the same time is only going to encourage people to jostle for position on the start line.
Yes - I much prefer to have my timing started as I personally cross the line, otherwise it is a silly bun fight. (Saw some serious abuse at last years Husky 100 by impatient and rude riders). Actually at the dirtworks 100ker I missed the gruop that I wanted to be in and ended up at the back. It was good to have that individual timing as cross over the mats.
My vote would be not to change anythiing ...

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
So - maybe group 1 all same time start, all other groups - as you cross.
Probably too much fuss for the timing people, but given the profile of the event now (XCM series, the prize money, and the TV coverage), you wouldnt want the chap crossing the line 2nd actually winning the race overall.

Interesting though that the people taking more time on the course are more worried about 2 or 3 seconds (or even a huge 30seconds) at the beginning.
Still - everyone takes different things from races, and what suits an Elite rider is often completely different to another rider.

tate6969

Likes Bikes
I don't think there's any disadvantage starting at the back of the group if all in that group are given the same start time. If you're not fit enough to move up in a bunch traveling along a fire road at a relatively relaxed pace, then surely you shouldn't be worried about the 5 seconds head start the front guy gets?

Im with antsonline on this one.

What do they do in the UCI MTB races?

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
So - maybe group 1 all same time start, all other groups - as you cross.
Probably too much fuss for the timing people, but given the profile of the event now (XCM series, the prize money, and the TV coverage), you wouldnt want the chap crossing the line 2nd actually winning the race overall.

Interesting though that the people taking more time on the course are more worried about 2 or 3 seconds (or even a huge 30seconds) at the beginning.
Still - everyone takes different things from races, and what suits an Elite rider is often completely different to another rider.
I think elite should all get the same start time, as it's generally a small group. If the start groups are anything like the size of the Dirtworks groups (BIG!) then I prefer actual mat crossing time for us general riders... the reason being that in relatively small categories like female ones it makes a big difference if you start at the back of a big wave and have to get past a heap of guys while your competitor starts at the front simply because they scored a better position in the cattle race at the start.

If the start groups are smallish like Capital punishment then it makes very little difference and giving the whole group the same time works fine.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
What do they do in the UCI MTB races?
Ranked start position on the grid, and all the same start time.

remember most of these races are run by private promoters outside of the UCI/CA/MTBA regulations to they can make the start procedure anything they want.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
... I assume the waves will be grouped by ability anyway.
Their own perceived ability - often massively different to reality ;) (As in the Capital Punishment this year when over 4/5ths of the competitors had already started by the time the 50-60% self seeded wave came around...)

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Could always assign the whole group the starting time of the last rider across the line. The winner is still the first rider on the track and means there is no incentive to pack onto the line other than a bit of early track position.

mooze

Likes Bikes
Matt's been out and checked the trails - there will be at least one bridge this year to take out a deep puddle so practice your plank/kayak riding :) Other than that trails look fantastic.

Entries close on the 5th :) and the good bag bit is not a tshirt! but something useful still :)

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Matt's been out and checked the trails - there will be at least one bridge this year to take out a deep puddle so practice your plank/kayak riding :) Other than that trails look fantastic.

Entries close on the 5th :) and the good bag bit is not a tshirt! but something useful still :)
Cant wait - I was wondering about the puddles after the recent rains. Gotta love a canoe bridge.

Is it pretty much exactly the same as last years 100 loop?

mooze

Likes Bikes
Will be very close - we're just keeping an eye on conditions and may need to reroute slightly if things get too wet over the coming weeks.