The Husky 100ker

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Not entirely encouraging.. what are the decision point thresholds? if it rains on saturday, it's off? slight rain/medium rain? based on a saturday track inspection? how do these things typically work?

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
id say unless the heavens open up and dump metres of rain on saturday....we will be riding sunday no matter what
it will be good, rain will keep us cool and the track tacky....goood times

sean_23

Likes Bikes
But what to wear?

Looks like there could be some decent rain on Sunday... so what would you wear for 5-6 hours of riding in the rain?

Short sleeve jersey = hypothermia?
Short sleeve jersey + long sleeve thermal top = either too hot or hypothermia when it gets really wet.
Light rain jacket which ends up sodden in 30 mins = too hot followed by hypothermia.
Goretex jacket = too hot and sweaty, and too bulky to carry, but at least you'd be warm.

Or is the theory that at race pace you'll keep warm in a jersey? Any other ideas?

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like there could be some decent rain on Sunday... so what would you wear for 5-6 hours of riding in the rain?

Short sleeve jersey + long sleeve thermal top = either too hot or hypothermia when it gets really wet.
Light rain jacket which ends up sodden in 30 mins = too hot followed by hypothermia.
Goretex jacket = too hot and sweaty, and too bulky to carry, but at least you'd be warm.

Or is the theory that at race pace you'll keep warm in a jersey? Any other ideas?
When I did the mudbath CP last year I went for:

Short Knicks + knee warmers
short sleeve thermal + short sleeve jersey + arm warmers
Light rain jacket with vents. (small enough that it fit in the camelback)

That seemed about right, I was a bit cold to start, then a bit warm in the middle so lost the jacket, then a bit cold again as the sun went down.
Bottom line is you'll be soaked no matter what, so the thermal layer is good to try and stay warm, if you've got it - go the Merino base.

JD26

Likes Dirt
Depends what you are used to.

Temperature looks like 10-17 - that for me is really hot (Canberra has been throwing out some cool temps as of late)

bt100

Likes Dirt
I'm doing the 100 and regardless of weather I was planning on long sleeve base layer and short sleeve jersey and normal knicks. I might add a short sleeve vest to keep the cold off as you can unzip it to let the air in but will make that call on the day.

I'm going with a smaller camelbak this year so I'm a bit limited on space if I get too hot.

Rida

Likes Bikes

Ahhh heck! I'm just going to nude up! Makes it easier to hose the mud off at the end of the ride :p

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmmm the weather looks ugly. Bah, another postponement can't hurt... its not like I've been training or anything... maybe if we are given another respite I will actually train :eek:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Hmmmm the weather looks ugly. Bah, another postponement can't hurt... its not like I've been training or anything... maybe if we are given another respite I will actually train :eek:
I reckon its no chance of a postponement seeing the weather looks like hitting late Saturday. The singletrack in the area will hold up against that rain. The trouble will come from the clay firetrails.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
ha, i've done the training so am keen to ride, but have recently found out that it's a clash with a good friend's bucks party that's been organised (in typical fashion) at the last minute

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Where do you get 'ugly'? Not from here surely?: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/nowra.shtml

A few scattered showers will just damp things down nicely. I took a bunch of kids for school sport for a ride this morning on one of the worst tracks in the area for mud (cabbage tree) and it was primo... tacky hero dirt! So I reckon coondoo and superbowl would be just fine (but yes some of the clay firetrails will be soft).

bt100

Likes Dirt
Where do you get 'ugly'? Not from here surely?: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/nowra.shtml

A few scattered showers will just damp things down nicely. I took a bunch of kids for school sport for a ride this morning on one of the worst tracks in the area for mud (cabbage tree) and it was primo... tacky hero dirt! So I reckon coondoo and superbowl would be just fine (but yes some of the clay firetrails will be soft).
Probably from weatherzone and the 10-20mm forecast

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/act/illawarra/jervis-bay

foolbis

Likes Dirt
Wet track/ tyre choice

Hi all

Like a lot of people, this will be my first visit to these trails and given all the talk of clay and bog holes and the rest, I am wondering what you would suggest as a good tyre choice.

Currently I run a Racing Ralph on the front and a Hutchinson Cobra on the rear. I love the Cobra, except that its a dry/ hardpack kind of tyre.

I raced the Dirt(mud)works with it in May, and yea it kinda sucked in some of the sticky stuff it still held up pretty well.

What do you think, should I get a Ralph for the rear as well, stick with what I know, or do you have another choice?

P.S. I currently run 2.25's on a Spec Stumpjumper...

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Hi all

Like a lot of people, this will be my first visit to these trails and given all the talk of clay and bog holes and the rest, I am wondering what you would suggest as a good tyre choice.

Currently I run a Racing Ralph on the front and a Hutchinson Cobra on the rear. I love the Cobra, except that its a dry/ hardpack kind of tyre.

I raced the Dirt(mud)works with it in May, and yea it kinda sucked in some of the sticky stuff it still held up pretty well.

What do you think, should I get a Ralph for the rear as well, stick with what I know, or do you have another choice?

P.S. I currently run 2.25's on a Spec Stumpjumper...
I really like the rocket rons front and back on these trails when wet.

They bite well but they have lots of space between the knobs so they shed the mud really well. And they are fast.
You'll be fine with the ralphs though. If you need some rons, ralphs or some nobby nics on the day lemme know and you can swing by on the way through and borrow some if needed.