the "i want a new phone" thread

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
i really wanted to make the title of this the "i want a new phone and im kinda leaning towards an iphone but surely there's a better option" thread but apparently that's too long so I ask the question, farkers, is there a better option?

I'm looking at a plan, between $50-70 per month (including any handset repayments), i want a reasonable amount of internet (enough for facebook pretty much daily (kills time at work) and occasional foruming) and around300 of calls and texts.

so far 3 has what im after with the iphone on the $49 cap but i want to know if there is another option rather than just going with the obvious choice. very open to suggestions, looking for reviews ideas etc. etc.

atm im goin it girly styles with the old webslider which is rad for a $200 phone but sick of prepaid and always running out of credit and want to be back on a plan with a nice phone without having to fork out 8-900 bucks straight up.

so, let me know what you got and if it's worth it

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
There's not a better option. I did this recently, too - iPhone is great. I'm on the Optus $49 cap, which gives me $300 of calls and text and 250MB of 3G data (internet, using the maps function etc) a month. I've only gone over the $300 once in the last 6 months and never have exceeded the downloads. I regularly use it to check facebook/rotorburn when at work and to check bus timetables, etc when out. 3G coverage can occasionally be a bit patchy in Brisbane, but it's pretty good for the times when I'm likely to want it.

And the iPhone is brilliant. Usability, functionality, reliability is unparalleled in other phones I've owned and used.

s_govers01

Likes Dirt
Get an iPhone.

You want one.. and it has the plan you want.. just get it already.
+1 best phone i have ever had. even though its been replaced once and should have got replaced again but is out of warranty. so if you do. get the Apple Protection Plan!

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please change thread title to 'Jesus Phone'... AND JUST GET A BLADDY iPHONE! :p

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
will admit, was have always stuipdly been anti iphone. untill the last few months.

9/10 mates have them, as well as girlfriend.

2 of them have compeltly smashed up screens, and still work fine!

i assumed, once you cracked the screen youd be fuked, and up for big dollars to get it fixed. but they seem to work pretty well when missing bits of glass form the screen!

once my plan expires in a few months ill be on the iphone bandwagon, with 3.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
will admit, was have always stuipdly been anti iphone. untill the last few months.

9/10 mates have them, as well as girlfriend.

2 of them have compeltly smashed up screens, and still work fine!

i assumed, once you cracked the screen youd be fuked, and up for big dollars to get it fixed. but they seem to work pretty well when missing bits of glass form the screen!

once my plan expires in a few months ill be on the iphone bandwagon, with 3.
Yes my glass is fucked up, but still works 100% and apparently it is only a $80 fix but I just CBF'd.

Also get a iPhone, they are the best phone out.

HTC Dream (G1) or more commonly known as The Google Phone. An iPhone but better. Has a full QWERTY as well as all the good stuff on the iPhone. It is also possible to write your own apps for it if you know how. Only problem is is that they aren't released here but if you were to get one I could help with setting it up.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Uh... iPhone has full QWERTY touch screen keyboards, as well as the ability to change that keyboard as required to suit a hundred other languages (i.e. incorporating accents etc for European languages, Cyrillic scripts, etc). Why would you recommend a phone not available in Australia?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For my own personal input, I have/had an iPhone, it died in the ass, and so far optus and apple have been playing a blame game, so it looks like the replacement phone I had to buy overseas due to thier stuff up will have to be paid by on my own pocket, which personally I think is a load of shit.

But yes, I liked my iPhone whilst it worked, it erased the need for my laptop really.

Whilst in the UK I got my hands on a windows phone, they are quite cool also, not a clue if they are available in Aus yet, but they are pretty dang cool!

Uh... iPhone has full QWERTY touch screen keyboards, as well as the ability to change that keyboard as required to suit a hundred other languages (i.e. incorporating accents etc for European languages, Cyrillic scripts, etc). Why would you recommend a phone not available in Australia?
The G1 has the on screen QWERTY aswell. Just because it wasn't released in Australia doesn't mean it's not available here. And you think that something running a Google OS wouldn't be able to change the languages?

http://www.htc.com/www/product/dream/overview.html

Also some Windows Mobile devices are good but if you are looking for the accelerometer and all the apps than they won't be applicable.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sorry, I read "Has full QWERTY as well as all the good stuff on the iPhone" as inferring that the iPhone doesn't have full QWERTY, which would have been wrong ;) Hence, my reference to the languages was not suggesting that the others wouldn't be capable of the same, but rather that the iPhone is not just some average touch phone with a touch-screen number pad like the Samsung offerings.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just picked up a Nokia N97 and love it.
The keyboard is not quite as user friendly as say an E71, but it's still quite easy.

Sorry I can't really say much more as i'm quite busy at the moment, but i'm yet to find a person that isn't happy with an iPhone, or have any big complaints apart from battery life.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do iPhones go for strength / being dropped / bike stacks? I am also in need of a new phone, but don't want to shell out for something that's only going to last 1 small slip out of the pocket.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
How do iPhones go for strength / being dropped / bike stacks? I am also in need of a new phone, but don't want to shell out for something that's only going to last 1 small slip out of the pocket.
I've dropped mine a number of times. At first I was really careful but now just treat it like any other phone and have not had any problems. I had a hard case to begin with, but it protected everything other than the screen, which was the only part I wanted to protect, so now I just have a stick-on screen protector (which should hopefully also aid in keeping the thing working fine if the screen gets cracked somehow). I also used to avoid leaving it in my pocket when riding (would leave it in my bag instead), but have since stopped doing that as I now use it as an iPod, too - again, haven't had any problems despite landing on it occasionally.

Like anything electronic, it'll last longer the better you care for it, but you don't have to wrap it in bubble wrap - it's not that fragile.

instinct

Likes Dirt
The G1 has the on screen QWERTY aswell. Just because it wasn't released in Australia doesn't mean it's not available here. And you think that something running a Google OS wouldn't be able to change the languages?

http://www.htc.com/www/product/dream/overview.html

Also some Windows Mobile devices are good but if you are looking for the accelerometer and all the apps than they won't be applicable.
Just looked into that phone, seems awesome. Does the barcode scanner actually work? Or does it work in the U.S only?

How much did you pay for yours? New/ second hand?
Any problems so far?

And when using the internet to turn the screen sideways do you need to open the keyboard or can you just use the accelerometer?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Just looked into that phone, seems awesome. Does the barcode scanner actually work? Or does it work in the U.S only?

im not sure if its the same as my 6210c, but not only do i have no idea what the barcode scanner is for.. i have never had it reconise a barcode..

whats it there for??