The Injuries Thread

Rik

logged out
I destroyed my knee whilst DJ'ing locally, I did the only thing I could, keep it straight, still and elevated, and call for help.

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
I destroyed my knee whilst DJ'ing locally, I did the only thing I could, keep it straight, still and elevated, and call for help.
What type of injurie was it? How long did it take to heal?

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
Came up short on a double a few years ago, ended up getting flung forward about 3 metres onto my head. Smashed helmet, Fracture in my neck and about 1 week of my life totally forgotten. Lucky I was with a good mate who sorted me out because at the time I didn't even know where I lived, let alone what had just happened. My wife said she was mentally doing up a roster of family members who could come and live with us and help change my nappies. But I got better.

The recovery involved lots of sitting around and asking the same questions over and over until things started to return to normal.

neddy

Likes Bikes
I got Bucked at Red Hill dirt jumps, head & shoulder first into the dirt, result, a grade 4 AC seperation, no ligaments left to speak of.
7 months later, I've just been back for my first ride. Well thats not entirely true, 3 1/2 months after the injury, after 2 ops & some temporary metal, I decided to go for an easy ride, a few small jumps & drops later what do you know, seperated again, though only by about 10mm this time.
My tips for recovery, 1 -dont get back on till you've had time to heal & rebuild, it will save you time off the bike in the long run. 2 -beer & food
3 -watching your fav MTB flicks over & over & over 4 -Daily visits to the Farkin website (which I discovered while injured) cheers to Farkin 5 -beer & 6 -the will to ride another day. Damn it is good to be back. Seriously though R & R is the only way, give your body time to mend itself, I probably could have been riding 2 or more months ago if I had'nt gone riding when I guess I really knew it was'nt ready, hard as it is. Sydney boys, I look forward to hooking up on one of those Wed night rides. http://www.farkin.net/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=170

Rik

logged out
Ok, tore 2 ligaments in my knee, the anterior cruciate was completely torn, one of the ones down the side was partially torn. Broke the bottom of the femur off where the ligament joins too, and mangled my cartlidge.
Had an operation a few days after doing it, and took 4 months to be able to walk properly. (about 2 of those months spent in plaster, the other two trying to get strength back). It took another 3 months before I could ride with any ability, and I had no strength.
I had to have a second operation 9 months after the first, to repair more stuff, I was walking pretty much straight after the op, but it took a good year before it was strong enough to ride anything with confidence.

All I can suggest is, if you do yourself damage, find another hobby. Do moderate exercise to keep up your base fitness, but do not go doing silly shit until your body is 100%.
if you're like me, and will never be 100%, then keep that in mind next time you think about hitting a silly line, because it won't take much for me to knacker my knee again, which would put me off the bike permanently. Plus I still look forward to occasional operations as I get older :?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
30+ stitches, plastic surgery and a hole the size of my fist in my leg... as Rik said, make sure its 100% before doing anything. even tho mine was only a flesh wound i still managed to bungle up the healing process by going windsurfing while it was still healing.. split the stiches open so i basically had to start again

Jrad

Likes Dirt
Got 6 stickes in my knee like a month ago dhing. Took bout 2 or so weeks to be riding again maby 3.

chandler_mate

Likes Dirt
when i was about 12 i got a 3cmX3cm 1cm deep hole in my leg from the axle on a little kids bike didnt hurt or bleed or anything it was like watching an anatomy documentary
7 stiches in an L shape

more recently i chipped a bone in my thumb the doctor guy gave me a full cast and said 6 weeks
i took it of after a week and went riding

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok that post by Jrad was by me. :? He was looged on to my computer today when building jumps out my bushtrack so when I went on this arvo i didn't know but i was looged on as him. lol so no it's my stiches.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
done most of the stuff other people have listed here (mostly from road moto accidents), and for MTB, you can try cracking 6 ribs.
came off the bike into a tree and heard a noise like a person breaking a packet of raw spagetti. couldn't breath properly, and had to ride about 5K's to the trail head.
not a lot you can do for ribs, just try and keep them still, and not lay on them to often.
as far as the other injuries go, i think there is a thread here somewhere that lists all the things done to me :(
just figure if it can be broken, dislocated, or farked, it has been........

bazza

look at me
im going to use the template, even those mines pretty poor compared to some.

Injury: twisted knee
How it happened: fucked up a rock garden this one - [/link]http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=127540[link] . i went through where the red netting is up in the top left hand corner. still have a scar on my back also. very painful.
Best method for recovery: call an ambo helicopter to come and pick you up instead of walking out of the track, you pay your tax dollars!! go see a physio and listen to what he has to say and gradually start walking on it again.
Time off Bike: about a month and a half.

S.

ex offender
Worst injuries I've ever had have been cuts and bruises.... only ever had stitches twice (once was from a chainsaw, that was smart), had a few minor concussions, but nothing major... pretty lucky that way, and I hope the trend continues!

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently in the healing process for a shattered knee cap.

I can't really remember what happened, I blame it on the pain killers and hitting my head. I remember I wasn't looking at the track, only at the guy in front of me's back tire. I'm on a hardtail, he's on a Orange 222, came flying through a rock garden, same speed as him, and obviously it wasn't as smooth for me. Got out of shape, hit a few things and then hit a tree. Spun 180 degrees and done a flip type thing. First thing to hit the ground was my knee, into the point of a rock. Second thing to hit was my head.

Got carried out by a bunch of guys from this site (Thanks!) and taken away in an ambulance. 9 days later, they operated. There were 8 distinct pieces, anda number of stress cracks.

It's exactly 3 weeks after the operation, and I started walking with no crutches today. I still have a splint on my leg, and a gnarly scar too.

I'm working on my exercises so I can get back ASAP. Basically, tense-and-hold the thigh muscle for 3 seconds, 100 times a day. Side ways swing 50 times a day, forward swing 50 times a day, backward swing 50 times a day, and bend the knee as far as it will go without pain 10 times a day.

Out of this whole experience, I've learnt one thing.

WEAR YOUR PADS.

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When you get to my age you start to really appreciate your bod and what time it has left in able state.
When I go out I pad-up like the farkin michelin man and dont give a shit what anyone else thinks. I have smashed too many bits and pieces over the years to list and I am doing everything I can to prevent it from happening again.
As lupine said, the rib thing is a little different! I have broken countless ribs and no suit of armour will save you here. Farkin things pop easier now too!!!
When you lot age alittle you will see its not all about the Guts and Glory. Use your farkin heads is all i can say!

curtisrider

Eats Squid
Broken my left collar bone and fractured my left wrist in 2 places 4X racing, i just kept it out of action and in a sling and it ended up fine, except for a pain i was getting a month or so ago,

fractured my wrist, cant remember which one, think it was left agian, playing AFL, went to smother a kick and go kicked in the wrist at full throttle, stayed in a cast and it was fine,

I also think i have fractured or broken different fingers,numerous times, i think my right index finger is fractured or broken at the moment, itll heal fine.

There might be more, i cant remember