The Mont 2013.

Now that is a cool photo!

Minhtam: Rob (who rode the first lap) used a geared 26 but the rest of us were on fixed 29ers. The track a bit to technical to use high gear much though.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Ko Bros, I did hear that there would be drones but didn't see them. Were they there only for pics or for monitoring possible shortcuts? Any more pics from them? That last one is awesome.

frensham

Likes Dirt
hehe some fun pics by Aurora are up, cool

haven't been to an XC event since the early 90's, was blown away by the scale of the Mont 24 - so many peeps! Trail was maybe too crowded and could've been more fun/tech but well suited to the event I guess. Had a lot of fun with the Bikebox guys, have posted a writeup including some night lap video at
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/mtb-events/2013-mont-24-hour/
I don't know what time of day/night you were riding but I found the traffic to be just fine. Crowded? No way!
The track was superb. There is no argument. I really do get tired of people criticising a trail that was built by volunteers who gave up their own free time for weekends on end so that 3000 riders and more could have some fun AND continue to have some fun after the fact.

Last edited:

loc81

Likes Dirt
I don't know what time of day/night you were riding but I found the traffic to be just fine. Crowded? No way!
The track was superb. There is no argument. I really do get tired of people criticising a trail that was built by volunteers who gave up their own free time for weekends on end so that 3000 riders and more could have some fun AND continue to have some fun after the fact.
You're right, there is no argument- but there is feedback. A trail being built by volunteers or contractors is besides the point don't you think? I think anyone can appreciate the hours put in to those hills and the hours put in to any race event for that matter.
People all chipping in (in a mature manner of course!) to threads like this show the pro's and cons of all sorts of events. That could be anything from the food, the organisers, the camping areas, the amount of dunnys, or even the style of track you my or may not have ridden before and may have to drive many hours to get to.

Outstanding event the track layout for this style of event was perfect, 3000 riders was good max I would say. if you want it more technical/serious do the Scott 24 hr. I had 2 riders in my team that had never done a 24hr before and they are both hooked. Big congrats to organisers, track builders and the 2 guys on the microphones.

morgs

morgs
You're right, there is no argument- but there is feedback. A trail being built by volunteers or contractors is besides the point don't you think? I think anyone can appreciate the hours put in to those hills and the hours put in to any race event for that matter.
People all chipping in (in a mature manner of course!) to threads like this show the pro's and cons of all sorts of events. That could be anything from the food, the organisers, the camping areas, the amount of dunnys, or even the style of track you my or may not have ridden before and may have to drive many hours to get to.
Any feedback is good, we're a diverse group (mountain bikers/cyclists) and finding the middle ground can be tough. I reckon given the spread of rider skills, to include techier bits would have made the course slower for newbies, which means a need to reduce the length somewhat, and the result is higher rider density. It's a bit of a juggling act.

Coffee, check, more coffee vendors. I needed more caffeine myself and I'll follow up on that.

Thanks to everyone for making the event what it was, you set the tone, we just set the stage. I think we may be getting the hang of it...

Klips

Likes Dirt
On the techier bits, was it just me who ABSOLUTELY LOVED the curvy bridge when it was night? Awesome feature that I'd ridden in the day, but doing it with only one light (left my helmet light at home :doh:) was a blast.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If it was crowded for you , then you are fast - if you are fast , then you passed a lot, there was lots of techy stuff 1 m off the line - I was constantly having to hop and negotiate bloody logs and rocks and pine trees and rabbit holes ;).

It was virgin bush bashing every lap lol

frensham

Likes Dirt
On the techier bits, was it just me who ABSOLUTELY LOVED the curvy bridge when it was night? Awesome feature that I'd ridden in the day, but doing it with only one light (left my helmet light at home :doh:) was a blast.
Loved it too. And it was the quicker of the two paths.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone was number 6671 or 6877, can they forward the photos of me from Aurora to me please :)

Tried emailing Aurora to see if they could add these to my value pack, but no response yet, and there is no option to add wrongly numbered photos to value pack :(

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was number 6877 but i havent bought any shots dude. I did notice that a few amongst the 6877 shots, there was 2 that werent me. One was someone in a Newy Cogheads jersey and the other was a LWH jersey/kit.