The new AMB

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things change. Change is scary. Things are always better the further back in our memories they are
It’s not you, it’s me, I’ve changed, I’ve grown and you haven’t grown with me. I thinks its best we parted and remembered the good times…

On a more serious note, I can’t comment on the changes to the mag or what it does or doesn’t include other than saying that I’ve outgrown most of them and I’m now into coffee table books full of great photos and well written chapters. That’s me and I’m sure I’m not alone. Producing a mountain bike magazine to sell doesn’t seem like an easy task either as the mountain bike has limited evolution and thus there is only so much you can write about before it becomes a very repetitive and subjective. At least they’re trying something and while I don’t envy their job in a lot of respects give them some credit for trying to please a hard bunch of cynics like us...

floody

Wheel size expert
I bought my first AMB in about 1995, the last time I bought more than maybe 1 in a year was probably 1996. I have had the opportunity to browse samples and our store copies, frankly am yet to see one which was worth reopening after a 5 minute skim read.

I bought my first Dirt Magazine at issue one, Jan/Feb 1997 (actually, I *think* I got it in my birthday stuff in march '97 from my folks truth be told), I still buy every one I can get my hands on, I have a 72l storage container full.
They stayed interesting, they stayed relevant heck theres even a substantial portion of the original staff from 1997 on there. They evolved with the sport, didn't try and jump on every next big thing and throw the baby out with the bathwater. Quality design, finish, photography and content.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I will continue buying Australian Mystery Bag, Mystery Bag Australia and Mystery Bag America....I always need an MTB magazine to read while on the dunny...I just can't poo without one...

Kitoff

Flow Mountain Bike
I've actually really enjoyed this thread. Cheers everyone! And MTB Pilot, I wouldn't bank on the AMB mob picking up on this feedback - they're not exactly as into the scene as you'd hope.

Kitoff

Flow Mountain Bike
Yes, the latest AMB was disapointing....you can judge a magazine by it's cover, a very uninspiring photo/layout backed up by some very basic content.

It's a shame to hear that FLOW? magazine is only going to be quarterly. Years ago I thought that the Aus mtbike scene deserved a monthly issue, even if it's only a digital version in todays publishing world.....
Flow magazine will be quarterly, but the website will be updating continuously. All bike reviews, product tests, news, race calendar and trail database will be online, leaving the magazine to serve as more of a journal - think an Australian/New Zealand version of Privateer. Website will be live in three weeks, first mag in October.

0psi

Eats Squid
they're not exactly as into the scene as you'd hope.
Funny that. I read it yesterday and thought several times, "What the hell are you talking about??!?!"

Spelling errors galore annoyed me, some that even spell check would have picked up on.

I used to be a massive fan boy, I may have once bribed AMB staff with beer to score a bunch of shirts and I may even have spent some of my own money procuring even more AMB merch. The only reason I bought the last issue was because I'd already bought all the other MTB, Outdoor and running mags and really needed something to read on the train. Sad times.

DW-1

Dirt Works
The only reason I bought the last issue was because I'd already bought all the other MTB, Outdoor and running mags and really needed something to read on the train. Sad times.
and yet you passed on "reading" People?

driftking

Wheel size expert
After buying the mag yesterday I am not disappointed in it but i don't know it just seems dull

Also the shootout was awesome, I enjoyed that, I always took it with a grain of salt though due to the varying price range. generally the 5k bike will beat the 4 k bike but if you took 1k and spent it on the 4 k bike i.e equaling the price most the time you would end up with a better bike. I liked to read them but they were not always 100% accurate. It would have been better to see a 5k shoot out or 4k shoot out, where the excess money was spent on upgrades, that would have really given us the best bike for our money.

Anyway back to the point new mag seemed quite dull in a sense, not sure why, I mean usually I skip a fair bit of stuff and tend to focus on the downhill side of things. They still had some good reviews written up. i dont think the content is too bad I think it just doesn't really standout with the same level of excitement as the old issue.

Last edited:

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Got a new surfing mag in the mail today- unlike AMB they manage to send their give aways (in this instance a DVD) ,
to their subscribers.

OIL

Likes Dirt
ACP are a client of mine - i'll stick it up em for the collective...

AND

i haven't even received my copy of the MAGAZINE!!

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've stopped buying AMB, just don't really think it's much chop. Enduro on the other hand, great mag.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The latest version looks better than the previous edition, but the quality of the content is still disappointing. BH bikes using the DW Link when the image clearly shows Split Pivot and the Pinarello Dogma labelled as a 26"bike when the massive lettering on the tyres says 29? This stuff is so obvious it should never have gotten through editing.