The New Sh*t Thread

Drew.

Eats Squid
Okay should we say excessive then? Much easier.
Excessive, sure, i guess you could call it excessive to people who are not familiar with it.

Mick, very fucking intelligent. I think a mind like yours deserves a standing ovation. Again, who are you to define what amount of money is spent on an object to call it STUPID?

Drew.

Eats Squid
And what roll of being a consumer does it entitle you to call peoples actions stupid purely because of your disagreeance with the circumstances? As Harry said, it may seem excessive, but you cannot deem it stupid that someone may want to spend what we would consider a "considerable" amount of money on a shirt/clothing item as stupid.

mtb_mark

Likes Dirt
i think when paying $200 for a shirt the quality would be good, but what your really paying for is the brand, as its "stylish". a T-shirt is probably made somewhere in asia for around 5 dollars, but then hyped up so much as to be the "best look" or whatever, that they bullshit their way into making $200 dollars out of something thats worth less than a tenth of that. i think people get sucked in to these sorts of things and it sucks to be them....

NICK_J-LOVE

Likes Dirt
i would buy one of those shirts. thats a standard RRP for any good American apparel shadow or subrosa shirt. and the fact that it cost $50 is fine. there is a very large targeted market for shirts like this. i am included. i like to see whats new. and once where dinosaurs caters for a larger market than just bmx. one of those shirts is better than half the shirts you see in say myer. i give drew so many props for putting in the effort for something he believes in. and for everyone on this website who thinks his idea is crap, i think he was after constructive comments. he has put a lot of effort into it, appreciate it.

if those shirts were good quality cotton, like say American apparel, then it would easily be worth $50.

Drew.

Eats Squid
i think when paying $200 for a shirt the quality would be good, but what your really paying for is the brand, as its "stylish". a T-shirt is probably made somewhere in asia for around 5 dollars, but then hyped up so much as to be the "best look" or whatever, that they bullshit their way into making $200 dollars out of something thats worth less than a tenth of that. i think people get sucked in to these sorts of things and it sucks to be them....
Yeah you pay for a brand in a sense, you pay for a brand no matter what product you are buying, it's just a fact of the industry, I fail to see how people claim they 'don't pay for brands', because it's bullshit.
Again, with ussumptions, probably made in China for $5? Yeah, maybe, but if it was $5, there's a good chance the company would have done a bulk order for about 1000 shirts, then take into account shipping costs, customs fees, taxes and whatnot to bring the shirts. It sure does not equal to $200, but again, as the consumer we can not make that call that "it didn't cost them that much", because if everyone just charged what it was costing them they'd all go bust. I guess it's the fact of owning something that's somewhat exclusive in the end.

I think everyone should forget the $200 bullshit anywho, I have never seen a shirt that dear, just going off what old made said (i'm more arguing the principle of this), i'd call a $100 shirt to be toward the high end mark, and I can say I own 1 or 2, and even though it was a bit of a stretch of a price for myself, I really can notice the difference in the quality of the garments...Did it cost THEM $100 to make? No, but in terms of the apprell world, is it worth $100? I think so.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Pretty funny last few pages.
I assume the person who would pay $200 for a tshirt would have no problem paying $200,000 for a motor vehicle or $2million for a water side apartment.
Different people have different priorities and wealth (or debt), who are we to judge if what they are doing is 'wrong'?

coffe-black

Likes Bikes
there are a few people that would pay $200-250 for shirts .;) tailored shirts for suits and fancy lawyer stuff like that that is all handmade out of silk and products like that. i could imagine that but that is all coming down to wanting a precise fit and aesthetic materials that it is made of .

Arete

Likes Dirt
As Arete says- paying $200 for something that probably cost far less than a quarter of that to make is insane.
I never said that. My only point was that a cheap Tee and an expensive one are functionally the same - and if you do pay a lot for one, you are solely paying for whatever's on it. If you're gonna argue that paying a shirtload for clothes gets you better quality, start arguing about jeans or suits or something that the person charging exorbitant amounts actually puts together.

Personally, I don't care enough to spend more than I have to on what's on my t-shirt and I buy shirts that have things I like. I don't care if someone does want to spend a lot on fashion so long as they don't think that it makes them superior or makes everyone who doesn't want to blow $100 on a tee shirt and $600 on jeans a tightarse. Same as everything else really, bikes, cars, suburb you live in etc.

Anyway, good luck with the shirts Drew.

steve r

Likes Dirt
No, it isn't, at all. Quality is quite obviously defined by well, quality. However, quality, in most of the instances does cost $$.

i PERSONALLY would not spend $200 on a shirt, but that's not to say it's STUPID to spend $200. If someone really has an appreciation for the way they look, fashion, and apparel in general, it is not at all stupid for them to spend $200 on a shirt. Who are you, to define when spending (X) amount of money on something you don't agree with is stupid?

You know what else is insane? People who pay $800 for a frame that costs probably $200 to make, if that. People pay so, so, SO much mark up on products day in day out, it simply is impossible to use the "well, it didn't cost them much" line. And in reality, that $200 shirt PROBABLY does cost fuck all for them to make, but at the same time would cost more than your ordinary t-shirt, generally when/if a shirt gets this high in price they are a completely custom manufactured garment. Again, i have not actually seen a shirt this expensive, nor would I spend that money (i'd spend $50-$70), but I certainly do not see it as stupid.
Lol'd

hard

NPJ_boy

Likes Bikes
Are you joking, man? Is good clothing really defined by the price tag? If I see something amazing, fantastic, the best thing ever- of course I want it. But how can someone honestly justify blowing upwards of $200 on a shirt? It's a shirt, and $200 could go to something so much better. If you're honestly living so far up your own ass that you can't see the stupidity in blowing $200 on a freaking t-shirt, then I'm legitimately worried.
As Arete says- paying $200 for something that probably cost far less than a quarter of that to make is insane.
I agree with the "if i see something amazing, fantastic, the best thing ever" i will buy it and not worry about the price it could be $20 from Target or it could be a $200 tailored Hugo boss, Armani etc shirt.
There are different places for these to be worn for example i don’t ride my bike or walk to the beach with my boards under my arm in a $200+ shirt on. No i have a general $50-100 Tee.

As for justifying blowing that much on a shirt we own house, we own our cars have large investments both have well established fairly well paying jobs.

Just because someone doesn’t have a similar fashion sense or income as someone else doesn’t mean that they are living so far up their ass. Everyone is different if we all liked the same shit it would be boring. If you are so worried about the way other people think or live their lifestyle, then im legitimately worried about you..

If i don’t know how much it cost to make then it doesn’t matter how much it costs to buy

Last edited:

zanecaldera

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back on the topic of 'Newsh*t'

The 2011 United Supreme SU3

Specs;
13.65" Chainstay
- 11.8” BB Height
- 75° Ht Angle
- 8” Standover Height
100 % 4130 Cromo
- Oval Butted Downtube
Forks: 100 % 4130 Cromo, Tapered, Angled At Bottom
1 Pc, Integrated Bearing Race 10mm
Bars: 8.25” Rise, 28" Wide, 100 % Heat Treated 4130 Cromo
Stem: Cnc Machined Front Load Alloy, Polished
Brakes (not pictured but assembled): Tektro
Cranks: 2011 Slim Design, 48 Spline, 175mm Tubular Cromo
BB: Sealed Bearing Mid
Sprocket: United Design 25t, Alloy, Polished
Pedals: Eclat Surge Pc, Clear
Chain: Half Link
Rims: Cinema 777 Double Walled, Polished
Rear Hub: 36h, 6 Sealed Bearing Alloy Cassette, 14mm Axle 9t Sealed Bearing
Front Hub: 36h Alloy, Sealed Bearing, 10mm Female Axle
Tires: Duo Stunner 20 X 2.20”
Seat: United 2011 Microfibre Pivotal Slim
Seatclamp: Integrated (Brazed) Onto Frame
Weight: 10.4 Kgs - 22.9 Lbs​

I'm really liking these, to be honest, I want one.

Arete

Likes Dirt
They joys of being 24 with a disposable income.

own house, we own our cars have large investments both have well established fairly well paying jobs.
lil bow wow, is that you? We got coffe black saying everyone who thinks $50 is too much for a T shops at target and you telling us all how much money you make. It's got nothing to do with how much I COULD spend on a Tee-shirt.

I'm not gonna buy a frame with a 75.5 head angle, even if it is the latest, most expensive shit hot one out - cause I would hate riding it, I can get a frame I actually like riding for less and if someone came up assuming that the reason didn't ride one was $$ I'd be shaking my head.

I can get a shirt with a band/design I like on it for $20-30 from www.indiemerchstore.com or interpunk.com or fearshop.com or threadless.com and levis/dickies from bargainsavenue.com rather than going to some trendy clothes shop, putting up with dumb retail staff to pay twice as much for shirts with random stuff on/worn out jeans my ass is already hanging out of I don't like. If you're going to target me with your product, $50 is too much cause your competition sells me stuff for less.

Back on topic, I bent my Berringers :( Any recommendations for bars which aren't that gigantor? Looking around it seems like I'm just gonna have to get used to non skinny bars.