The official running thread

Pastavore

Eats Squid
That works fine if you know what category of shoe to buy from but if you are completely clueless then it's pretty easy to get it wrong. At least you'll have half an idea what to look for once you get one fitting done. You'll know if you need a neutral, supportive or guidance shoe, whether you have a low medium or high arch and how wide your foot is. Makes it easier to narrow it down when you walk into a shop.

The New Balances I post up earlier are a great example, there's a fair chance they'd feel great standing in a shop but I doubt most people would be able to run more than 2-3km in them.
Neutral, supportive, guidance, all stuff not supported by the research that I have read. Check out this blog for a starting point.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/03/running-shoes-solution-or-the-problem/

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
I am trying to improve my running style, so I don't heelstrike.
However, when I run and land on my forefoot, it hurts my calves, as I knew it would.
To those who have changed their running styles, how long did it take before it stopped hurting?
Is it worth persevering with?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
However, when I run and land on my forefoot, it hurts my calves, as I knew it would.
To those who have changed their running styles, how long did it take before it stopped hurting?
Answers in reverse order to questions:

Why are you trying to change style? If is because of injury issues previously, then it may be worth persevering. If it is too run faster, it is not likely to be worth it.
It will take a LOOONG time to adapt. Think 12months plus.

Keep your runs short, and stay off bitumen and concrete if possible.
Try and make sure you are structurally sound, strong and stable ankles, hips, pelvis.

And remember running is supposed to be fun :)

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
Answers in reverse order to questions:

Why are you trying to change style? If is because of injury issues previously, then it may be worth persevering. If it is too run faster, it is not likely to be worth it.
It will take a LOOONG time to adapt. Think 12months plus.

Keep your runs short, and stay off bitumen and concrete if possible.
Try and make sure you are structurally sound, strong and stable ankles, hips, pelvis.

And remember running is supposed to be fun :)
Haven't been injured yet, just trying to prevent them.

Mainly trying to get a bit more speed and more efficient.

As for fun, can't say I have ever enjoyed it, has never stopped me though.

Thanks for the tips, may just stick with what I know.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Warning Graphic content!!

So does anyone else suffer from "runners trots"?

I have an intermittent problem with gastric disturbance when running, never ended up like the guy in the picture, but have come pretty damn close in the past.

For me, usually kicks in on longer runs, but apart from that is pretty unpredictable.
I have successfully completed plenty of half marathons, and runs up to 28km, but I am aiming for first marathon this year, and at the moment my gut is holding me back from distances in training.

So today, to avoid the trots, only one coffee at 5.30am, then no food until after run. Ran 15km at 12.30, was aiming for 20 but had to stop. Frustrated!

gregb

Likes Dirt
It's all in the timing. Black coffee and an up'n'go then bus trip to the office. A mighty dump then off for my run before the work day starts.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Any runners in the Campbelltown NSW area looking for a run on a Saturday morning come long.

https://www.facebook.com/campbelltownparkrun
http://www.parkrun.com.au/

parkrun is FREE to all. 5km and every Saturday.

You just need to go to the parkrun site and Register your name , print a Barcode and turn up with a smile.
When does this kick off Bob? Since I broke my bike I have started running to maintain fitness till it's fixed and I'm actually enjoying it (my body isn't). What time on Sat morning's is it?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Campbelltown parkrun

Hey Suchislife, parkrun kicks off on March 15th @ 7am. Earlier than most to avoid Cricket, Football and Hockey activities.

I've ridden with you now I might even get to run with ya. What have you done to your bike?

I need to get a good volunteer group going to be able to run, as I'm the sole Committee member so far. The first few will be Family affairs.

The course is relatively flat and fast. I use running to get me fitter for MTB. When I'm running fast and easy the MTB is quick.

Checkout the www.parkrun.com.au site to get the info..

Snuffy

Likes Bikes
It's all in the timing. Black coffee and an up'n'go then bus trip to the office. A mighty dump then off for my run before the work day starts.
Timing is part of it - if it's a morning long run, for me it's a pre- AND post-breakfast visit to the throne to make sure I'm good and empty.

But I've found it's also what I eat. For me, lots of fruit sugars and dairy is just asking for trouble. It's different for everyone though.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
check your trainers, if they have a high heel (so not running flats) then that's going to promote heel strike. next 'over-striding', keep your stride reasonably short and run upright (your running cadence will be 175+ spm if you have it right). run at a pace and distance where you can still maintain correct posture and stride.

once a week run on soft surface barefoot - do drills that focus on good technique. you want mid-foot to become a natural style, so the idea is to build your style and fitness whilst maintaining correct posture and stride. the calf is a powerful spring/energy absorber, in the long term it will prevent injuries by engaged those muscles fully - otherwise the impact spreads up to the knees and down at the foot. I wouldn't be doing any runs on hard surface as well, particularly training.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Started running lately.
Not very good at it, but ran for a PB of 7kms the other day with a few (cough cough) lung stops.

My problem is, and feel free to laugh, nipples.

Never been a prob, but after 7kms my nipples (one of them) was bleeding from being rubbed raw by my sweat laden salt encrusted -Shirt,
Hurts to all f*ckery!

How do you runners avoid your nipples being shredded by your wet salty T shirts?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Started running lately.
Not very good at it, but ran for a PB of 7kms the other day with a few (cough cough) lung stops.

My problem is, and feel free to laugh, nipples.

Never been a prob, but after 7kms my nipples (one of them) was bleeding from being rubbed raw by my sweat laden salt encrusted -Shirt,
Hurts to all f*ckery!

How do you runners avoid your nipples being shredded by your wet salty T shirts?
You are not alone, it's a common problem.

Firstly never run in a cotton shirt. get a proper running shirt. Other than that you can tape over them, or use vaseline. Believe it or not they do tend to get a bit tougher with time too.

gregb

Likes Dirt
I use a small square of micropore tape over the nipple. This has cut nipple chafe/bleed to almost nothing.

My new job now allows me to run at lunchtime. There is a changeroom and showers down stairs and the culture is one where running at lunch is perfectly acceptable.

Its been 10 years since I have been for a run, I've kept myself fit (surfing and more recently riding) however I know I'm not run fit.

Have been for 5 runs now, slow runs but I think I'm noticing a difference in my riding (more strength for extra grunt up obstacles).

My legs get really sore, poor ankle flexibility is placing a lot of strain on my lower legs.

Anyway what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (or speeds up the ageing process).