the Otways or You Yangs

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
The you yangs are awesome. I moved here from British Columbia and I swear that place is one of the only reasons I stayed in this area for as long as I have. At first I started brining multiple bikes out there, DH, AM and XC but now I just bring a nice solid 6 inch trail bike that can pedal AND do all the DH stuff.

I prefer to start from the very bottom and climb to the top and then shred ALL the trails...one bike to do EVERYTHING...that is where mountain biking is heading. Backcountry riding with nasty, tech climbs and narly/jumpy trails when it heads back down. That is the essence of mountain biking IMO. Perfect bike = Giant Reign X, Norco Six, Felt Compulsion or BMC Supertrail. Adjustable travel forks, light and long travel is where its at.

Forrest is too one dimensional...the You yangs truly has EVERYTHING! Forrest is amazing on a pure XC machine where as You Yangs is more AM riding which is where my love of mountain biking is these days.

Just one honkies opinion on the subject
Here here... I agree wholeheartedly about the AM type bike. I just can't understand why anyone would ever want to push a bike... I just don't get it. But that's just me.

To add to your list of bikes what about the new Pivot Mach 5. I've been riding one now for about 6 weeks, and it is awesome... looking forward to having a crack at B&G next week. This weekend I'm heading to Buller for a bit of fun.

My final word on Youies vs Forrest, the thing that Forrest has over many places in Australia, is that you can ride all day... stay somewhere, ride all day the next day, and STILL not cover everything... truly epic stuff.

And one day when we have a real DH track... man will it be awesome.

Cheers

bam_six

Squid
If you can pedal to the top of Stockyards on a Norco Six, you're a fitter man than I am, Charlie Brown.
i hear ya! ive done it a few times on my six, but im wrecked for the next 10mins, and legs are fatiged for the downhill! and im reasonably fit aswell. no guru xc rider but definately got some riding fitness. if i had clip-ins and not flat pedals it would be an easier climb

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
i hear ya! ive done it a few times on my six, but im wrecked for the next 10mins, and legs are fatiged for the downhill! and im reasonably fit aswell. no guru xc rider but definately got some riding fitness. if i had clip-ins and not flat pedals it would be an easier climb
Only a little easier......:D

monk

Squid
my norco six pedaled great! lightish yet strong synchros wheels, light but long travel fork (lyrik), joplin seatpost and yer good to go, ride er all day long. It definately takes a different head space than climbing an xc bike...you slow it down just a little, get into a rythym and just keep going...

Andy.

Likes Bikes
there is a tour guide near apoolo bay called "Otway expeditions" or "iRide"
the guy has north shore, downhill and XC on his property.
shuttles are like $45 for a whole day.

http://otwaymtb.tripod.com

PH: (03) 52 376341

they are awesome to ride with!

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy shit, why haven't we been told about this before now?!?!
Give him a fair go. He might if not found te apollo bay MTB park thread yet.....

He's just trying to help. I really need to ride mike's tracks. What's the go with weekend?

dunndog

Eats Squid
The go with the weekend is it's gunna be pretty hot which means it will be lovely down there. I suggest you get down there for a day, it's completely different from the youies and is a sick place to ride.

Andy.

Likes Bikes
Holy shit, why haven't we been told about this before now?!?!
IT'S BRAND NEW!!!!!!

sam hill and brendan faircoulgh did a photoshoot with [R]evolution there!

I went on a school trip so we only did XC, but out of those XC tracks. there was less than 50 m uphill!

it's such an awesome place, and the guy is still building on it!

GO!

Andy.

Likes Bikes
IT'S BRAND NEW!!!!!!

I went on a school trip so we only did XC, but out of those XC tracks. there was less than 50 m uphill!

GO!
Forget that last thread

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
IT'S BRAND NEW!!!!!!
NO IT'S NOT!!! It's actually been there for...I think ten years now?

I KNOW!!!!!

AWESOME!!!! I just bought $200 pedals, I'd hate to have to use them!

Yes, and yes!

I'VE BEEN!!! EVEN FRACTURED A RIB THERE LAST YEAR!!!

All kidding aside, it's really cool that you've found the place. I was just as excited the first time I went there. Might see you out there some time? I ride a pale green Norco Six.

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
speaking of that photo shoot, you know on their website how it has the cropped images - including some stuff about said photo shoot - what is the purpose of those images? Are you supposed to be able to access stuff or what? cos I can't.. Meant to ask Mike last time but my brain wasn't functioning between runs..