The Photo Snob Thread

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Re: Noodle Bar, I can understand why :tape:

On the photo front though, I like them! The lighting is mildly irritating for me on the Crown lookout shot, but it adds to the shot no less.

Good trip anyway?

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
I don't think I ever posted this...

Got it a while ago while filming an edit for my mate. I really, REALLY hated the photo when it was off the camera (as i wasn't there to take photos, really), but when i got home and played around with it I kind of liked the results! You be the judge.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It has its merits, Drew, but I think it's biggest shortfalls are that his face isn't sharp, and also that your shadow is really obvious.

Sam.

Eats Squid
I like the photo! I think you would have been better off going to coronet peak, and that noodle place is dodgy! We got pad Thai there and it was like chilli bean noodles...
Hmm Cardrona apparently was better the days we were there, yep pad thai was disgusting, never again!

Re: Noodle Bar, I can understand why :tape:

On the photo front though, I like them! The lighting is mildly irritating for me on the Crown lookout shot, but it adds to the shot no less.

Good trip anyway?
Again, never again!

Yeah it was, I went to send you a pm when I got to nz to tee up a ski on saturday, but neither of our phones worked and wifi cost a fair bit. I was then gonna go for plan b and try to spot your legacy but realized every second car was a genII gt wagon so unfortunately had no idea what to do! Thanks for the advice though!

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
hey guys we went riding yesterday, i was sick of shooting the same old jumps the same way so i went about the process a bit differently, thoughts on these? i'm up in the air about em

could be a bit over processed, but hey.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
One from today, pretty stoked with it.

And a few from a climb the other day:

Looking for thoughts.
Don't think the B&W really works. It looks more grey scale and the climber blends into the image a bit too much. The first image is cool though.

hey guys we went riding yesterday, i was sick of shooting the same old jumps the same way so i went about the process a bit differently, thoughts on these? i'm up in the air about em

could be a bit over processed, but hey.
Yep way over saturated. Never the less the compositions are good to me. One other thing is the rider looks to be missing a front wheel in the third image, just looks slightly odd.

Here's one from me from last weekend

6162558026_994622c019_z.jpg

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
hahaha how is that even possible? i can see how 30 minutes of light could wash out a lightning bolt, but not completely? i'd say keep the shutter as short as you can and just try and fluke it...

Yep way over saturated. Never the less the compositions are good to me. One other thing is the rider looks to be missing a front wheel in the third image, just looks slightly odd.
yeah i didn't even play with saturation, just the curve, should i drop saturation value or cross process the saturated colours?

tu plang

knob
You need a remote release. Otherwise you'll go insane. Set your aperture and shutter speed to something so you can maybe go for 20" exposures and have the scene properly exposed and then just sit there and keep clicking. There's still some luck involved but yeah... I don't see a multiple minute exposure being a very good solution - you'll be stopped down so much to go for that long the lightning probably wont be very well exposed. I'd say go for a midrange aperture (f/5.6 - f/11) and then whatever shutter speed that gives to expose the rest of the scene. like so http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamin-h/4081425139/in/set-72157625707409577 . Just experiment, it's not hard but requires some luck... lightning will flash in between exposures and in the patch of sky you just moved away from.

Also who wants to buy a Tomac Snyper at a bargain price!! PM me ;) <breaking all teh rulez>

tu plang

knob
You've been reading my thread in parts and stuff haven't you? Sneaky bastard.

Damnit, lens...bike...lens...bike...
Nah I'm moving overseas for 3 years in like... as little as 9 days. I don't think I'll have time to ride while I'm there and yeah... the cash would be useful. Got a price in mind Shayne (PM)? I'm at pains to sell it. Of all the wanky bikes I've had this has by far given me the most 2-wheeled fun. I'm pretty negotiable. In answer to your question, the correct amount of travel is however much this bike has... 140mm?

Last edited:

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got bored and went for a drive, thought it was kind of cool :)

Anyone got tips for lighting the front of the car in exact situation? I got some pretty nasty reflections on the windows, and just overall not that good lighting which I wasn't keen on at all. And yes I realize I also captured the ugly cage in the front one by not taking enough note of my surroundings :02.47-tranquillity:

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Yeah guys, had the remote release going, I was doing exposures of about 15 seconds?

I did get some in the background, yet not exactly what you would want to show as a good shot.

I think I was just unlucky, it was unexpected and came through quick.

We also couldn't hear the thunder, to judge it off either.

Next time hopefully!

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I tried a simple studio setup with my kids tonight. Almost impossible to get them to sit still so I'm satisfied with what I got. Hopefully I can get more practice with different lighting soon. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMG_1064web.jpg