The Photo Snob Thread

Lemontime

Eats Squid
On a slightly unrelated note; I'm looking to start a blog for photography and general anecdotes - blogger, wordpress, and tumblr hae been suggested, which should I go for?
This will inevitably be reduced to a "Tumblr is for dickheads who know nothing about art and like to steal", but seriously. Tumblr.

tu plang

knob
This will inevitably be reduced to a "Tumblr is for dickheads who know nothing about art and like to steal", but seriously. Tumblr.
Only because it's true. That said, in my view if your blog is well thought out with your own content and that of others used with consent and respect you don't really risk being tarred too much with the same brush. I'll happily follow a legit Tumblr page but the fact is most people are just trying to get e-props based on the fact they can pick out photos that other people will be impressed by.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
So.. How much trust should I put into what Ken Rockwell says?
He has compiled a very useful database however it is written with a very specific audience in mind. As soon you start combining science, opinion and egotism without clearly marking out which is which, you lose all credibility, hence his reputation as being a bit of a joke.

I'm just getting thoroughly annoyed that Nikon is refusing to put out a replacement to the D700. I'm looking forward to a Nikon that can compete in all aspects to the 5DmkII. -_-
I share your frustration however I disagree with your later statement; both cameras are deficient to some degree.

The D700 is faster and offers superior high ISO performance whilst the 5D Mark II will give you much greater resolution in addition to the video features. At the end of the day though, both cameras are not wildly different: ISO performance in the Canon is excellent and doesn't stop images appearing in Vogue, whilst you'd be hard pressed to print to the upper limits of the D700.

*shrugs*

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty keen to get my hands on a 1 V1, keen to read some reviews when they come out! 1200FPS video cuuute..

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
glass opinion.

just a quick one guys, looking at some new nikon glass for the nikon have been priced $280 for a f1.8 50mm with built in auto/manual & manual focus, was just wanting to know would it still be good for fast action dh shooting or is it more for portrait & the usual insect photography.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey gluey trails, was it you that posted up a while ago a light w/ soft box that you bought off eBay for around $200 ??

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
just a quick one guys, looking at some new nikon glass for the nikon have been priced $280 for a f1.8 50mm with built in auto/manual & manual focus, was just wanting to know would it still be good for fast action dh shooting or is it more for portrait & the usual insect photography.
I believe you're referring to the new AF-S 50mm f/1.8G?

Looks to be a solid little lens - the built-in AF motor will certainly appeal to those looking for a faster-focusing lens than the older AF 50mm f/1.8D so it should be well suited to the task.

This will be a very suitable 'portrait' focal length and if you want to dabble in macro photography, a set of Kenko Extension Tubes should suffice quite nicely. (Well, a 36mm tube on the 50mm lens should offer 0.87x magnification which is a little under true 'macro magnification' (1:1) so let's just say 'close up :p)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla

addie @ manly vale by rohan batt, on Flickr

lighting?! I feel I have it fairly spot on now...
MUCH better. Composition/framing is so much more interesting and the addition of flash really helps too. Overall the shot still seems a tiny bit underexposed but that can be fixed quickly in PS so no biggie. Also, if you wanted to get really picky you could clone out the bottles on the left, just so they don't draw attention away from the rider, being red amongst green and all...

Nicely done dude.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MUCH better. Composition/framing is so much more interesting and the addition of flash really helps too. Overall the shot still seems a tiny bit underexposed but that can be fixed quickly in PS so no biggie. Also, if you wanted to get really picky you could clone out the bottles on the left, just so they don't draw attention away from the rider, being red amongst green and all...

Nicely done dude.
thanks! I hadn't thought of cloning out the bottles but now you mention it I see what you mean, I was more worried about the shadows on his arm, they annoy me.