The Photo Snob Thread

Drew.

Eats Squid
I don't get it.
The last one's pretty cool, but the others are a bit...ehhh?
What's not to get?:confused:
Have you browsed through his Work? The technique is amazing as is post production. Appears to me he uses long exposure shots with a flash being fired throughout the frame during the exposure.

Well, I found the shots to be simply awesome.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's not to get?:confused:
Have you browsed through his Work? The technique is amazing as is post production. Appears to me he uses long exposure shots with a flash being fired throughout the frame during the exposure.

Well, I found the shots to be simply awesome.
I'm with you there, I really liked them! unsure as to how he actually did them, but i also find them stunning!

Sam.

Eats Squid
This could actually turn out to be quite interesting, how does everyone go about resizing their photos for web?

My photos can be any size from ~250kb-~800kb, I use photoshops image size adjuster, and make my photos 30cm at the longest. What about everyone else?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
LR2

Export > image size > between 800 and 1000 px longest side.

Mine seem to come out at about 500kb, so I imagine if I just reduced the jpeg quality a little I would be down to the 300kb limit.

On another note, I don't really dig those Tim Simmons photos. There are a couple of impressive ones, but those that stood out were mainly the Autumn ones in the forest. The light painting really lacks subtlety.

saMfish

Likes Dirt
I resize so that the longest side is 1024px long, because if I upload anything larger to flickr, it's a waste of my 100mb a month as flickr automatically resizes so that the longest side is 1024px. I use DPP to resize ^^

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Keep the photos between 800-1000 as leitch suggested. I suspect most photographers won't want to upload their ultra high quality photos anyway if they intend on selling them. The main view of the photo is reduced to 800wide anyway. I may add the ability to download the original (like flick) if people want it.

As an example, most of the pinkbike POTDs are smallish in size. http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3451021/ <-- 138KB

ale_xan_der

Likes Bikes
nikon 10.5??

sweet thread....
Just wondering how many of you guys use a nikon 10.5mm ??
if so what do you think of it??
I am looking to buy one second hand.

Thanks
Alex

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Tristan has one and I've used it on numerous occasions on his D300. Very nice little lens, fast, sharp for a fish and compact. Buy it if you've got the money!

skivi

Likes Dirt
any film freaks on here had any real world experience with the Mamiya 7 6x7 range finder or the Mamiya 645 series 6x4.5 cameras?

i have a friend with a new 7 but want some other reviews from people that have owned or at least used these models.

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
OK, there was a professional photog at work today, I saw a PhaseOne on the back of his camera. WTF is it used for, and why would you need it?
If im not mistaken its pretty much a digital sensor to be used with cameras that were originally design for use with film. It replaces a film holder with a digital sensor and pretty much converts it to a digital camera. Mostly used with medium and large format cameras.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
any film freaks on here had any real world experience with the Mamiya 7 6x7 range finder or the Mamiya 645 series 6x4.5 cameras?

i have a friend with a new 7 but want some other reviews from people that have owned or at least used these models.
I am not a huge fan of the 645 mamiya for a few reasons, the big two are non interchangeable backs (depending on the model) and it has a focal plane shutter with a fairly low snyc speed. Saying that mamiya lenses have a really good rep and the cameras are built well. If i were after a 645 camera it would be one of the last cameras on my list to buy (the older ones anyway). Saying that i have been assisting a photographer who has the new ZD version of the 645 and the image quality is amazing out of it, but again no leaf shutter lens, runs on AA batteries and costs mega bucks.

As for the Mamiya 7 i love it, near silent operation, no mirror slap, easy to hand hold at low shutter speed, great lenses with leaf shutters and big negative size i love the 6x7 format. The downside of the camera it the range finder with wide lenses and working close to subjects parallax error. It is is a great camera for location, but would not be my first choice for a studio camera.

Don't know if my advice helps, but i would buy the mamyia 7 any day for the type of work you are doing. Or my other advice is to go 5x4 so much control of depth of field and so much more detail (and get a roll film back).