The Photo Snob Thread

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
G'day Alec, great work considering the difficult dynamic range you have had to deal with! Last (shown here) photo is my fav, I think it just needs the white point set a little bit higher, and maybe burn the top of the photo so its less distracting, or crop it a little. Eyes are sharp and it looks like you guys had a lot of fun with the shoot, nice one!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Alec, 1 and 5 lack a little light on her face, this would have made them perfect. I don't however know how you would have accomplished getting light on her face! lol
I love 4, to me it's perfect. It oozes class and talent. Fantastic job!

On another note, how do you get your models? Are they friends or professional models?

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Nice, Alec. You could definitely do with some off-camera fill in there, though. Even just a speedlight through an umbrella would work perfectly, to add to the shot. The location and model are sweet though...I like this set a lot.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Alec,

One of the big things that repeats itself through these photos is your framing. Its an easy thing to fix, but you need to be more aware of where you are cropping limbs if you're not going to include the whole thing. There are a number of chopped off fingers and toes, and limbs chopped off at the joint which serve to make the photos appear a little unpolished and can make limbs look awkwardly long etc. It's not the end of the world if in the initial photo taking you accidentally clip a toe or something, but if it happens, try cropping the whole hand or foot out, and crop in between joints.

Also, the thongs on the rock spoil number one.

I also agree with Tristan that these could benefit from some light fill.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Quite a few of them are OOF - softer than i would have expected. More fill needed as well - given your outdoors, a circular reflector would be a cheap and easy way to shed some light on the subject.

maskerade

Likes Bikes
Had my first shot (No pun intended) a few nights ago. What should I be working on improving?

Personally, I feel like I should have let more light in to the shot, to get a bit more detail on the ground. Any other suggestions?

Stats: 20sec exposure, f/22, iso 320
For real, lightning shots are hard to get right. the easiest thing to do is change your aperture, you aren't letting in enough light at 22, you can probably drop down closer to 10 and leave iso at 100...

some pics of mine coming soon.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Went out for dinner last night......

Took the camera, as it was a nice evening and I'd been trying to get into shoot in the city for a while.
It was hard enough to get a shot without getting my eyebrows burnt off.:D

This one I call Candle Light Dinner!:D

Been wanting to shoot Parliment House for a while now.

Corner of Bourke & Spring!

Spring Street. (I actually like the lense flare. Probably left the shutter open too long and blew out the centre of the lights, but I still like it.

Feedback always welcome.

Hux

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yep, so, I'm a giant hypocrite. Do as I say, not as I do, etc etc.

I clipped the ear. Woops! Ah well, just a lens test. The first thing I noticed once I started playing with the 35L near its MFD (which I verified with both my 50 and 135) is that my 5D is front focussing consistently. It's not too hard to overcome but it's frustrating to have to accommodate for, so I'll be getting it re-calibrated soon!

I know, it's a fucking cat. I've been working, will hopefully get some portrait sessions lined up in the next week or two - haven't got a lot of spare time.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'd rather just wait and take photos of something I want to photograph :p The cat was just to satisfy you leeches. :)

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Kay :)

Here's 6, and I'll link the rest... ;) (randomly selected)

..photos..
I like the pose in the first, and the guys have already mentioned the fill light on the model.

The 4th is a great shot, well executed, but you can still see the marks from her bikini top.. Only solution for that is for her to leave the clothes off for a while so the marks will go away (not that that should be a problem for you)

The last link is real nice too, just a tad dark around her eyes.

While I'm going, I'll nitpick and say that I don't like the dirty feet in a couple of the photos. That said, you did a mighty fine job

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of getting a photo printed on canvas, as a present. Anyone had experience with a canvas printer, got any recommendations?

hubbie

Forever 1,337
I'm not a fan of canvas prints. maybe just cos they're so often mediocre photos on displays at market days etc. I think printed and framed is much nicer. sorry, that's not what you asked Reece. Just my 2c.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
It's all good mate, I haven't ruled anything out yet! I could yet end up printing, since it's probably going to be way cheaper

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'm thinking of getting a photo printed on canvas, as a present. Anyone had experience with a canvas printer, got any recommendations?
Yeah kinda, a friend did some up for me, but it wasn't the normal photo canvas method, not to say they don't look good, but it's not really applicable. They did however, only cost me $12 for a big arse canvas, which leads me to say that most canvas prints seem to be FUCKING expensive! Personally I'd try and hunt up a frame, and mount a normal print myself.

Which reminds me, I want to get some prints done, but this time I'm looking for some cheap frames first, since they always seem to be in retarded sizes.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Yeah kinda, a friend did some up for me, but it wasn't the normal photo canvas method, not to say they don't look good, but it's not really applicable. They did however, only cost me $12 for a big arse canvas, which leads me to say that most canvas prints seem to be FUCKING expensive! Personally I'd try and hunt up a frame, and mount a normal print myself.
What method was it then? Sounds cheaper than $75 for a mounted 12x18

wombat

Lives in a hole
What method was it then? Sounds cheaper than $75 for a mounted 12x18
The company she works for does um.....well they're into.....actually, I'm not entirely sure what the fuck they really do, but I know they sell and use big arse printers, some of which can evidently print onto pre stretched canvases. So I went and bought some cheapy canvases from the local $2 store, and she had the images printed for me. Biggest problem is that the sides of the stretcher will be unprinted, but you can just paint them matt black or whatever.
Unfortunately it's not normally a service they actually offer, they just happened to have a printer in stock as a demo unit. I have no idea if there's actually businesses that do this.

If that's the size you want though, I'm sure you could get a normal print done for about $15. Find a cheapy frame and buy some matt board, should be out well under 75 bucks.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
^^
Mummy (haha) offered to get some of my photos put on canvas, sure canvas is nice, but i just cant stand how it seems to ruin the quality and detail of the photo, well thats what i think!

In the end i decided to get them A4 and just backed by some nice white 4mm thick or so white card! Easy on the eye.

alsoo, one i just took, didnt bother with the tripod

1/40, f.22, ISO200 baah blah

Last edited: