The Photo Snob Thread

.:Alan:.

Likes Dirt
There is a custom function to stop it from turning of like that. Only need that if you're not using canon's infra red to trigger the flashes. 580 should turn it self off too unless u have the CF on, unless its on the camera.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Geez your photo gatherings look like they would be the goods!

Just got back from shooting bluejuice, and hanging out with the band afterwards (mad). Hectic gig, they have more energy than pretty much any other band I have seen, and a crazy light show to match. The crowd got hella into it, and the boys were jumping all over the place. Hard as sin to shoot, but just awesome to watch
Holy shit, how freaking good was it? I was right in the middle of things, still bruised, but I did get to stroke his nipple. The last song they played with The Holidays was incredible.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Went to the park tonight, and decided i would go with natural light instead of flash, Noo idea why...

but got one i kinda liked -

thoughts?

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
shot with 50mm f/1.8 @ 1/500 , f/5.6

nothing special about this, but seriously made me consider selling the 17-40 and buying a 135mm or 200mm prime.

C&C appreciated.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Tristan; tell us you've tested it in a pool or something. It looks awesome!

How does it integrate with the camera? Are housing buttons covered in rubber to protect the camera's buttons?

Finally, how much? :p

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla

How does it integrate with the camera? Are housing buttons covered in rubber to protect the camera's buttons?

I haven't had a chance to test it properly yet because i've been running around like a headless chook trying to get myself sorted for travel, but I did take it in the pool late this afternoon. The problem was the light was so dark I could only manage 1/25th at f/2.8 with ISO 500. I set the ISO way before I got in the pool though and after the back is on it can't be changed, which means I was stuck at that. The o-ring seal worked perfectly though (as it should) so i'm pumped to take it out in the surf!

It integrates really well with the camera actually. The buttons are a little fiddly, and you wouldn't want to try changing too many settings out in the surf, but they do work if need be. The buttons for my camera on the housing are shutter release/aperture/shutter speed/menu/select/display/* for AF-ing/zoom/delete and the back scroll wheel. I would've liked to have been able to adjust ISO/AF mode/white balance but such is life...i'll just have to make sure I get the settings right first. I'm hoping AV mode, f/5.6-8 depending on light, auto white balance (or sunny if it's cloudless sky)/AI-servo (continuous mode for the Nikons) will do the trick. It'll be good to experiment over the course of the next few weeks in the worlds best surf...hopefully I bring home some keepers!

Anyway fellas, i'm off, and I shall speak to you all in three weeks! Take care and happy snapping!

(For the record, if something happens, Olly and Callan can split my gear. And Drew can have his lens back and a remote receiver for his troubles. Alan, you can't have any...you own too much already. :p)

ILYGUYS.

Arete

Likes Dirt

http://www.backscatter.com/HostedSt...ail.lasso&ID=53b19c1265482a20&s1op=cn&sop=AND

Holy crap that's a lot of cash for a housing rated to -10m sl!

The Ikelite -200ftsl Scuba housing is actually cheaper!

Oh well, horses, courses etc. Hope Tristan enjoys his trip/housing.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Haha. It's an awesome lens but since I don't make much money (if any) off photography, I'm not sure if I can justify it. A close friend has a Sigma and he raves about it but I seem to have a bug up my bum about going for third party lenses.

Are you gunna go for the AF or the AF-S 80-200 f/2.8? I found a guy on a local forum selling one (AF) for $850 and I'm SOOOOO tempted. Compared to the only AF-S version which was second hand at $1900.

If you do get it, tell us how it goes :)

Sorry I took so long to get back to you mate, had a super busy weekend.

I'd love to have the AF-S version, I still dont know why they stopped producing that version in favour of keeping the AF-D one, but the AF-S version seems few and far between, and as you said, is pricey. So it looks like it will be the AF or AF-D, if I can find one second hand in good condition i'll look at that but at the end of the day i'll be willing to buy new also. I'll see what I can find.

The one your looking at is the AF version (push pull)? I had one in my hands the other day down at photo reisel in the city here, looked to be an awesome lens, and I too was tempted!

Tristan - Probably too little too late but enjoy!

Last edited:
J

JaRedy

Long time no see

I haven't replied to, or even looked at this thread in a rather long time; I kinda got out of my photography stage as I never ended up getting an slr, and the limitations of my point'n shoot literally frustrated me out of the hobby.
That said, now begins a new era; i've decided i'm going to give photography a proper try and i'm picking up a Canon 550D this week. I do believe being stuck with a point'n shoot has helped me gain a better understanding for angles and composition, because its the only thing I could still practice, get an eye for, and still get right; even if all the other technicals were unmanagable.

I hope to be able to provide some decent contributions to this thread for once, my old photos were somewhat amateur :).

I'd ask for some pro's and con's on the 550D but it's alredy settled, so im not really fussed. It's better than a 1000D and a 5D is unjustifyable, I find the 550D is a nice compromise of the two!

Last edited by a moderator:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Sorry I took so long to get back to you mate, had a super busy weekend.

I'd love to have the AF-S version, I still dont know why they stopped producing that version in favour of keeping the AF-D one, but the AF-S version seems few and far between, and as you said, is pricey. So it looks like it will be the AF or AF-D, if I can find one second hand in good condition i'll look at that but at the end of the day i'll be willing to buy new also. I'll see what I can find.

The one your looking at is the AF version (push pull)? I had one in my hands the other day down at photo reisel in the city here, looked to be an awesome lens, and I too was tempted!

Tristan - Probably too little too late but enjoy!
http://www.photoforum.com.au/showthread.php?34335-Nikkor-80-200-TC-201-Benro-b-head-Tokina-400mm

It was the AF-D version (not the push pull). You should offer him something :p.

DDP has them listed at a little under $1300 so that's a fair saving ($1800 brand new from local retailers here with Aus Warranty)

A collegue at work is planning on selling off his 70-200 f/2.8 VR to fund a Schnieder 60mm for his pano camera so there is a good chance I could snap that up. Can't wait!

tu plang

knob
Pfft...you hated me way before this.

:rolleyes:
haha don't flatter yourself by thinking that I had strong feelings about you one way or the other :p

meanwhile I've been out of the loop (ie this thread) for a couple of months... someone give me a synopsis in around 1 paragraph :)

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
haha don't flatter yourself by thinking that I had strong feelings about you one way or the other :p

meanwhile I've been out of the loop (ie this thread) for a couple of months... someone give me a synopsis in around 1 paragraph :)
sure can.....

Tristan still hates flowers. There are a number of upstarts producing quality work. And some steller work is being produced by some old timers in here. Eveyone else is just talking shit. (Me included):D
P.A.D 6 has just been settled with it's competitors. Apart from that, it's been fairly quiet.

tu plang

knob
sure can.....

Tristan still hates flowers. There are a number of upstarts producing quality work. And some steller work is being produced by some old timers in here. Eveyone else is just talking shit. (Me included):D
P.A.D 6 has just been settled with it's competitors. Apart from that, it's been fairly quiet.
Has leitch come out yet?