The Photo Snob Thread

Drew.

Eats Squid
Non biased photographers? Let alone not biased against their BRAND?! When does that spaceship from pluto come back, maxwolfie?:p

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
They are all very quick to jump on the G11 bandwagon ;)

Is it really justified? Is it really a better camera than the G9? Let's see what they say....

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They are all very quick to jump on the G11 bandwagon ;)

Is it really justified? Is it really a better camera than the G9? Let's see what they say....
At such a smiliar price, what exactly is the advantage of buying a G11 over a 1000D?

It seems wierd, at least if you buy an 1000D, being an SLR you actually can be buying lens's, flashes etc in the future for it where as if you buy the G11... that's it sort of thing? I do however like how cheap the underwater case for it is haha.

Drew.

Eats Squid
In my half drunk state I had a crazy splash PP on a couple photos i took the other night, here's a photo i wasn't going to use but instead went all wild on it! What do you think.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At such a smiliar price, what exactly is the advantage of buying a G11 over a 1000D?

It seems wierd, at least if you buy an 1000D, being an SLR you actually can be buying lens's, flashes etc in the future for it where as if you buy the G11... that's it sort of thing? I do however like how cheap the underwater case for it is haha.

I don't see the point of the g11 when the s90 is almost exactly the same but it's 'slip in your pocket' compact and it's a stop faster at f.2. If you are going to compromise sensor size/lenses/flash etc for the compact size it may as well be really compact.

oh yeah and i have an s90 and it's such a fun, versatile, mini camera...
couple of shots from meredith last year i liked...

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The photo quality of compact cameras has come a long way in the last few years.. For reduced web images and 6 x 4 prints you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between an SLR and good compact shot.

maxwolfie, still reckon you should get an SLR, it'll teach you alot and you'll have more fun shooting..

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Amazing lights there, man! Regardless of how much processing you've done I think it looks great! The line of shadow on her cheek is a bit off putting, so if you moved that flash on the right a bit closer to you it might have been nicer. Either way, this photo is a winner !

@Drew btw

Last edited:

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
Long time no post from me.
Just two, some C&C would be nice.
These are some ducks I managed to get a pic of whilst driving past.

And a candid.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Well, I invested on a tripod and went down to Phillip Island for a surf on Monday. Surf was a bit big for me though so it was a good thing I'd taken the camera along!

The tripod was such a great help and at 49 bucks a bit of a bargain (cheers for the heads-up Hux!)
Would maybe like to draw out a bit more colour from the shots though but not sure how to go about that. Any ideas?

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ey conor! really like the second shot!

and posm, what kind of editing program have you got? windows has a basic one that you can adjust hue and saturation, otherwise photoshop is good (but expensive) and i'm still figuring out the basic version of it that i have.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
and posm, what kind of editing program have you got? windows has a basic one that you can adjust hue and saturation, otherwise photoshop is good (but expensive) and i'm still figuring out the basic version of it that i have.
I've got Photoshop Elements which I've found can do almost all manner of funky shit but I'm not expert enough in it to adjust the colours without making it noticeable. I also like the idea of being able to produce ace shots with the camera alone (like wot they did in the olden days and that)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I've got Photoshop Elements which I've found can do almost all manner of funky shit but I'm not expert enough in it to adjust the colours without making it noticeable. I also like the idea of being able to produce ace shots with the camera alone (like wot they did in the olden days and that)
The reality is that you can only do so much with the camera. Post processing is all part of the 'digital era'. If you can get elements like composition, depth of field and lighting right in camera, then you don't have quite as much work cut out for your when it comes to editing.

Additionally, I guess we are all a bit more critical of photography as we are no longer viewing photos as 6x4 but on 24" monitors @ 100% :p

I exclusively use Lightroom which, in my mind simplifies processing greatly. Not a bad thing but you don't nearly have as much control as Photoshop (which I also use for touch ups and more detailed work).

*shrugs*

Last edited: