The Photo Snob Thread

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2ms response, looks like a TN panel. Can't imagine it'd be much better than the rest of the cheap 22" units. By all rights the Dell should be much better.
Thanks...I'm just reading up on TN panels --- should I then be looking for IPS panels or other types??

Drew.

Eats Squid
First time shooting cars.. Quite fun, and well worth it for the fun of driving between locations.
Looks good man, what lighting setup where you using?
Pretty jelous of Paul, that thing's a beast haha.

Sam, there's 1 thing that bugs me about your photos (even though they're still good), is that your flash always seems to be wound up too much with ambient too low (in my opinon), have you tried winding ambient up a bit? I usually set my flash to like 1/16 or less when shooting riding, i just find the high intensity of the flash off putting. And, i think you could have cropped the flash out in the 2nd pic, i really think flashes' shouldn't be visable in the frame, another big distraction for me.

Good shots though.

On another note, just got back from hamilton island yesterday; waaaay to lazy with the camera ahah, pretty much a freakin' tourist with my efforts. Will see if i can salvage something up.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sam... the first is the best for me, but I'd clone out the spectators above the rider.

The second is too static, and I don't really like the composition of the third.
Looks good man, what lighting setup where you using?
Pretty jelous of Paul, that thing's a beast haha.
1st is natural light, 2nd 30sec exposure and light painted, 3rd 15sec exposure and light painted.

The car is a beast. It's a pig as well, but it's one of those cars that just puts a stupid grin on your face. As soon as the turbos kick in it's like "weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!" (that's the noise you make, though the car sounds similar too).

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Sam, is the 3rd pic's rider OOF? Or is it my tired eyes?

I do like the 1st though. I had to do a double take on it. The kit on the rider stands out amazingly even though he looks like a clown!:D

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
What's the middle ground of monitors between a $1200 Eizo/NEC and a $400 Viewsonic/Samsung/Dell?? I can't work out why there are no decent 22" monitors in the $500-900.

BTW wombat...the Eizo is only on my wishlist....don't know if I should realisticaly (or logically) get a $1200 monitor for a non-commercial hobby.
Dell's 24" Ultrasharp and the Mac Cinema Screen. But I think the Dell comes in way cheaper.

wrongie

Likes Dirt
Sam... the first is the best for me, but I'd clone out the spectators above the rider.
Cloning stuff in MTB photos will get you nothing more than a smacked bum.

If it can be moved, push or kick it. If it can't be moved, move your own ass.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Cloning stuff in MTB photos will get you nothing more than a smacked bum.

If it can be moved, push or kick it. If it can't be moved, move your own ass.
Why? If cloning is acceptable in other areas of photography, why not in mtb shots? I personally don't see any real issue with it, especially for objects like helmets, rubbish, ugly people...

Sure, you can move spectators, but they might not respond to your request very politely, and you can move yourself, but then you lose the angle/composition that you are in that position to shoot.

I'm not saying that photographers should become reliant on these tools, but they should be allowed to use them if it will make a good shot better

willy_c

Likes Dirt
Hey snobbers, had an awesome weekend at Awaba, here are a few of my favourites.

More here- http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1907124#post1907124

Sorry for the watermark on all photos, but I'm sure you all know the deal on race pics.
Nice pics. I think I saw you up at the race (didnt say hello but saw you in my passing travels snapping also).

As mentioned by someone already the flash in your photos is way too hard. The ratio between flash and ambient is not quite right. This is not always a bad thing (in this case it not quite there).The light was difficult at the track and always changing so the photos are really good for the conditions.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Completely different subject for a moment:

I had a play with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 (non-HSM) this afternoon, within about 10 minutes of each other. The price difference between the two is about $40.00. I've asked a million times, but if anyone owns either of these lenses (Shayne, I know you're one...and you've already discussed the Tammy in length, but...) would they mind discussing the positives and negatives of either of them?

I've heard the Tamron has exceptional IQ for the money, but did find the Sigma faster to focus.

Sorry to be going over shit we've already discussed before...

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
These sunspots/flares ...how bad are they? when are they good? How should I avoid them?

That be light reflecting internally between the elements that make up your lens. Caused by stray light most of the time. A lens hood will help, as would removing all your filters etc but at the end of the day, it's a natural occurance. Try repositioning yourself so the sun is less extreme, sheilding the camera or else, just edit them out later (though they can be used for good effect).

It looks like you're shooting from behind a car window. If you are shooting from behind glass, you could wrap a towel or something around the lens and press it up to the glass (might be somewhat problematic if the vehicle is in motion)...this should remove alot of the reflections caused by the glass.

Drew.

Eats Squid
1st is natural light, 2nd 30sec exposure and light painted, 3rd 15sec exposure and light painted.

The car is a beast. It's a pig as well, but it's one of those cars that just puts a stupid grin on your face. As soon as the turbos kick in it's like "weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!" (that's the noise you make, though the car sounds similar too).
Painted, as in holding the flash and just firing it multiple times??

Haha yeh, then it makes you wanna go out and do it yourself then between being clueless about the subject and realising the cost, sort of frustrates you.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Painted, as in holding the flash and just firing it multiple times??
Exactly. Flash with stofen diffuser, walk around the car pressing the pilot button repeatedly, concentrating on areas where necessary and lighting as evenly as possible.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Snobs!

Getting my hands on a Tamron 90mm tomorrow, attempting to to some macro shots of flowers, id really prefer an more interesting subject but it is for a school comp.

i was just after any tips and do's and dont's with macro shots? should i use any filters? and should i take a tripod?
thankss.