The Photo Snob Thread

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're one of those nocturnal types aren't you?

I like the darker of the last two, but i think you could clone out the little light next to the person on the rights head. As well as maybe lightening up their faces.. I don't know how that would go though.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Due to the fact I haven't received my trigger and receiver set yet, i'm going to extend the competition for my old ones out. Until next Thursday when I get back from a quick trip to NZ.

To all those who've entered: Thanks for the entries. Sorry to do it to you, but i'm going to ask you for more shots. Due to the fact i'd seen half of them already (not that they weren't decent though), and also the fact there seemed to be no real theme (which was my fault), it made it kinda hard to judge.

So, what i'm thinking is running the comp for the next week with a couple of new conditions:

1) The theme is 'Flash' - this can be anything remotely related to the word flash, so get creative. Kinda like a POD...
2) The shot can't have been posted before. I didn't think i'd get many people interested so thought I wouldn't see any repeats, but I did! So try keep it original.
3) Have fun. If it's too difficult and annoying and no one wants to enter anymore, fair enough. I just want you guys to shoot and post new, cool, creative shots.
4) It still has to be posted under the title 'For Tristans Off-Camera Give Away Bonanza!'

Drew.

Eats Squid
Anyone give me some feedback on my photos?
After looking at them on the work computer they look too dark, but my home PC shows them to be brighter.

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Tristan, I'll post something when I'm back from NZ. Been here 9 days so far, busted my knee on the second, so have plenty of photos to share.

Shooting a gig tonight, can't decide if i should take the sig 24-70 or the tokina 11-17 fish. Could take both, but I only have a backpack to carry the second lens in.. Hmm

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone give me some feedback on my photos?
After looking at them on the work computer they look too dark, but my home PC shows them to be brighter.
They're all fairly decent, but I think you posted to many, making it to hard to single out bits of individual photos.

The portraits are the best I think, as well as the shots of the church.

The rest, though lighting and technical stuff is bang on, theyre not really intresting both composition and subject wise.

Try to pick out 2 or 3 of your favorites from the day and share those. It'll be easier to get crit.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Tristan, I'll post something when I'm back from NZ. Been here 9 days so far, busted my knee on the second, so have plenty of photos to share.

Shooting a gig tonight, can't decide if i should take the sig 24-70 or the tokina 11-17 fish. Could take both, but I only have a backpack to carry the second lens in.. Hmm
24-70, man. Fish shots at a gig would get VERY boring VERY quickly. Take the fish with you too if you want for the one crowd shot you might take with it, but the 24-70 is a must. Have you got a fast 50mm you could take? If it's the sort of venue that will let you just take your SLR along, it's unlikely to have very good lighting at all.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I received my new Cactus V4 wireless flash trigger and receiver set this afternoon. I've thrown up a super short, barely useful mini-review on my blog for anyone interested. I might edit it shortly to include more info, as, at the moment, the review really doesn't say much at all! Haha.

Anyway: Check it out.

http://tristancardewphotography.blogspot.com/

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
"Slight" banding at 1/320? Well and truly unusable, I'd say :p

They look pretty good, certainly appear to be MUCH sturdier and better made than the last version.

skivi

Likes Dirt
more of Toolangi.

Olympus Trip 35 with Kodak 400 from safeway.

gonna get a Mamiya 7 or 7II me thinks. they've won me over from the hassy.

willy_c

Likes Dirt
Very quick snap of the fisheye lens I have for sale. Taken with the 85mm f/1.2L. Amazing how quickly the image focus drops off.

Another one from in the kitchen.

Decided to keep the 1d mark II and sell the 1d mark III. If anyone is interested pm me for details.

Cheers
Will

Attachments

Last edited:

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
I have been struggling for camera time lately, and wanting to try my hand at portrait/glamour, so I finally got around to it and here is my result.
Let me know what you think.
My Wife.

I have tried to do as minimal PP on it as possible. Adjusted the exposure curves, a bit of spot healing and applied the following filters: Vignette and Glamour Glow.
Hey Hux, I'm feeling ya on the struggle for camera time thing! I'd love to have a good solid crack at some portraits soon and yours looks like a good first effort.
It's hard for me to give C&C on something I have so little experience with, but just going from looking at a lot of photos generally; the main challenge you seem to face with that shot is what some call 'dead eyes'.
I'm inclined to agree with the other comments re: filter use in your processing and perhaps the framing, but the eyes really do make or break the shot with close portraits.
The lighting there is almost hiding your wife's eyes rather than making them pop. Some nice catchlights in the eyes really can make all the difference!
Keep this in mind for your next attempt/s :)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
"Slight" banding at 1/320? Well and truly unusable, I'd say :p
Not really unusable unless you're shooting against a white wall or somewhere where the whole scene is being lit by flash. If you're only adding flash as fill in an outdoor situation you won't see the banding and you'll still have input from the flash in the bottom 3/4 of the frame.

Very quick snap of the fisheye lens I have for sale. Taken with the 85mm f/1.2L. Amazing how quickly the image focus drops off.
That's what your $3000 lens produces? Man, i'd be taking that thing back, pronto. Sure, focus falloff is rapid, but the IQ sucks and you've got major CA going on there... I'm referring to the shot of the fisheye, by the way.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Went out shooting with a mate to test the new Cactus V4's.

Not the most awesome photo, but I thought i'd post it none-the-less. Getting my midnight spider pose on...

saMfish

Likes Dirt
You're one of those nocturnal types aren't you?

I like the darker of the last two, but i think you could clone out the little light next to the person on the rights head. As well as maybe lightening up their faces.. I don't know how that would go though.
I am ^^ I dunno, many things seem much more interesting in the dark. Thanks for the feedback, I will clone out that light when I get my main computer back up and running :p