The Photo Snob Thread

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Internet forums, kooks with money, focus charts...screw it all.......I just don't believe, any more, that price indicates the level of a photograph you can obtain out of your camera...it's honestly bloody internet hype, and it honestly simply comes down to the ability of the person who's holding the camera at the time.
Let those that would like to spend money, spend money... I shall just go on taking photographs.)
I almost lol'd. At work.

Tristan you speak (or type) some sense! Inebriated or otherwise.
I've been thinking similar things for a while now, hence my reason for mainly lurking on these and other actual photo forums trying to dodge all the crap and find the ever elusive valuable content.
It could just be me having my bullshit-blinkers on but I seem to be noticing more and more guys and girls that are posting examples of phenomenal work and using everything but professional level equipment. Sometimes not even much equipment at all!
So many people are on the 'what settings did you use there' and 'what lens do you use for those types of shots' bandwagon.... that's all fair enough as I've even answered some of those questions trackside - but it's almost as if half of these people are all about spending more money and time simply replicating others' setups instead of LEARNING themselves. /rant

So.. Tristan, now that you're in the Canon camp, what settings did you use for that last shot and what are the exact contents of your camera bag these days... I want to take photos just like you

Oh yeah.. what brand and model of camera bag is it?!

In all seriousness though, one of my New Year's resolutions is to simply take more photographs and spend fewer dollars. Having read that post I think I e-respect you just that little bit more now Tristan! Haha

Last edited:

Drew.

Eats Squid
Hey Tris, Hope my post didn't fuel your intoxicated outburst!:D

I agree 100%. Yes you can pick floors .

what makes you are great photog is your ability to produce superb photos with the limitations at hand.
Flaws, not floors. :p
bit of c*ntery, i know, makes me feel big.

I do, but at the same time don't agree with the cliche' of "it's in the photographers hands"; My agreance is that yes, it is up to the user to choose appropriate lighting, location, focal length, all the rest of the jazz to take the photo, but as the saying goes "You can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink", i think it applies to this, or it could be EPIC FAIL, but more or less it's the same in the riding world; a good rider can still ride a shit bike well, but more so, can ride a good bike excellently. You get what i'm saying?

but again, it comes back to dollar signs.

Drew.

Eats Squid
My mate here bought a $300 canon film scanner, chemicals and a paterson dveloping tank (all easily under $100 I think), changes rolls into tank under his doona, then does the chemicals in his laundry sink, adjusting water to 20deg, and they come out pretty good I reckon. Mostly in good film boxes you'll find necessary chemical amounts and times for that film.
Wow! really digging this dudes photos. I might have to have a look into it; i just got my holiday payout, so im filthy dirty rollin' in coinnnzzzz!

p.s thanks for the help hubbie! it's a bit of a foreign language to me....f-il-m, that is.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
I almost lol'd. At work.

Tristan you speak (or type) some sense! Inebriated or otherwise.
I've been thinking similar things for a while now, hence my reason for mainly lurking on these and other actual photo forums trying to dodge all the crap and find the ever elusive valuable content.
It could just be me having my bullshit-blinkers on but I seem to be noticing more and more guys and girls that are posting examples of phenomenal work and using everything but professional level equipment. Sometimes not even much equipment at all!
So many people are on the 'what settings did you use there' and 'what lens do you use for those types of shots' bandwagon.... that's all fair enough as I've even answered some of those questions trackside - but it's almost as if half of these people are all about spending more money and time simply replicating others' setups instead of LEARNING themselves. /rant

So.. Tristan, now that you're in the Canon camp, what settings did you use for that last shot and what are the exact contents of your camera bag these days... I want to take photos just like you

Oh yeah.. what brand and model of camera bag is it?!

In all seriousness though, one of my New Year's resolutions is to simply take more photographs and spend fewer dollars. Having read that post I think I e-respect you just that little bit more now Tristan! Haha
I understand what you are saying,but how can you blame people that want to learn/look up to people like tristan that take photos like that?

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
My 5DMkII with Zacuto Z-Finder and Zoom H4n stereo recorder. Check out my Z-Finder review here.

(Review displays incorrectly in IE but who use that anymore)

Last edited:

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
I understand what you are saying,but how can you blame people that want to learn/look up to people like tristan that take photos like that?
And i understand what you are saying - however i did mention...
"it's almost as if half of these people are all about spending more money and time simply replicating others' setups instead of LEARNING themselves"

I'm not having a dig at every single person that's ever asked what lens was used and how that depth of field was achieved...
Shit I hope at least a good 50% or more of the setting-hungry are actually learning, but what I was getting at is the others that are just trying to copy the equipment and settings of others thinking that is what creates the images, and skipping the process of learning other aspects.
Almost anyone can push buttons and buy things, but learning the craft of putting everything together so that all those expensive things and button pushing actually results in great images is something different altogether.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
come try my 50L and prepared to be blown. ;)
Tris, I'm not sure it's worth the price!:D

Flaws, not floors. :p
You sir, are correct. Have an eLolly for your troubles.:D

I do, but at the same time don't agree with the cliche' of "it's in the photographers hands"; .....**snip to save space**....., but more so, can ride a good bike excellently. You get what i'm saying?

but again, it comes back to dollar signs.
I agree, but we arn't talking about professional photographers in this thread are we.
Is there any in this thread?

Are you saying we have seen great shots taken with kit lens?
Yep!

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
I heard from a friend (kyle) that Nikon hired a photographer to do a shot for them, and this photographer used Canon. He said it was farkins own Chris Benny.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Plausible, although hardly a reliable source for it.
Though I have seen some shots from Benny involving a Nikon, official images, perhaps. Maybe he'll poke his little head up and confirm. :p

alexx23

Likes Dirt
And i understand what you are saying - however i did mention...
"it's almost as if half of these people are all about spending more money and time simply replicating others' setups instead of LEARNING themselves"

I'm not having a dig at every single person that's ever asked what lens was used and how that depth of field was achieved...
Shit I hope at least a good 50% or more of the setting-hungry are actually learning, but what I was getting at is the others that are just trying to copy the equipment and settings of others thinking that is what creates the images, and skipping the process of learning other aspects.
Almost anyone can push buttons and buy things, but learning the craft of putting everything together so that all those expensive things and button pushing actually results in great images is something different altogether.
sorry mate, didnt read it well enough, and i fully agree!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Oh but it is.. haha
This made me spit coke all over my laptop screen.lol

Spoolin..
Is Chris still in here?:D Hi Chris!!!!

Still, professional or not, i do have a irregular income from photos, as do a couple other people, still, it's in everyone in this threads interest to produce the best photos they can.
So do I. And yes it is.....But we are talking about the best shots we can take with the equipment we have, are we not?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I want to reply to all the posts that replied to my mad rant last night/this morning, but it'd take an incredibly long time. So i'll reply to this one.

Tristan i'm in Aus at the moment.. come try my 50L and prepared to be blown. ;)

In all seriousness, on a crop the IQ will be a lot closer. Fullframe, you will be able to tell the difference a lot easier. You were complaining before about the 50mm 1.8 being soft at the edges? And that's on a crop.. chuck it on fullframe and you have a bigger problem.

Just a little insight from the fullframe parade. Your on a crop, so it probably doesn't/or won't ever bother you.
This is the problem; i'm not talking straight out IQ. I'm talking the ability for a photographer to use the sun or natural light, the model or scene they have on hand, and perspective, framing, composition, etc, to get a photo, rather than simply relying on gear. I never once mentioned IQ (apart from saying the bokeh is pentagonal shaped rather than round), and this is why I wrote that rant. For all those people who sit on bloody forums going on about the image quality and sharpness and contrast and all the excess shit that comes with photography and the related gear, while they cannot go out and be creative and capture great photographs to do their thousands of dollars worth of equipment justice...yet you so often have people shooting with the most basic of equipment (like 50 f/1.8's and kit lenses) who produce awesome shots (and equally as many people taking shit shots with crappy gear too, by the way, but at least the gear they own equals their ability, or inability...).

What gets me worked up is the fact people think that they can buy the best of the best equipment, and that it'll make up for their complete lack of a photographic eye. Yet it doesn't. Behind every good photo is 95% photographer, and 5% gear. It's as simple as that. I, personally, think everyone needs to do a little less talking, and a little more walking, that's all.

Edit: Oh, and for anyone wondering, the picture I posted was taken with a Canon 7D, 50mm f/1.8 lens, natural light, f/4.5, ISO 200, can't remember shutter speed. All basic settings - nothing unique used. As I said in the original post, it's not an absolutely amazingly outstanding shot by any means, but it was sure as shit worth spending $145 on the lens I used to take it.

Last edited:

Atomizer

Likes Dirt
Yep it's rubbish. Don't buy it.
I haven't for a very good reason. It's no better, if not worse, optically than the 50mm f/1.4, which is almost 1/4 the price. Now that the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L has finally been replaced it is currently the least performing of the Canon 'L' lenses. It's not rubbish; just not value for money.