The Photo Snob Thread

Here is a very poor, yet quite awesome photo (to me anyway). Those who recently read the LTYL thread would know that I have been looking at some planets with my telescope recently. Well, tonight I had a go at getting a photo. Taken with a p&s through my telescopes eyepiece. This is close to what I can see, however blurry from my shaking and clarity/size has also diminished.

As I said, not a good photo but I thought I would share it, mainly because I am somewhat excited form what I saw, but also because it's something different.

Actually, looking at it here, I might try PS and see if I can remove that blur.

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Hey guys I have a question for you all, I Just got myself a new laptop (lower resolution screen) for uni and I'm in the process of transfering all my photos across. I set one of my shots as my desktop background and it is completely over sharpened, yet on my higher resolution monitor on my desktop it is spot on, Could this be attributed just to screen resolution?
This bring me to the topic of Sharpening, and I'm just curious as to what other proccesses are, unsharp mask and to what degree? High pass filter? what does everyone find works for them?

Cheers Sam

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
is sharp the word you are looking for? or pixelated/grainy....

id say its because the monitor is low res and the pixels are huge

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
On a similar note, I'm looking for some advise/help with a shot I took on Wednesday morning. I've done some editing and a crop but I feel it still doesn't quite pop like I thought it might.
Don't worry man, I stuffed up my shot (see below) of those boatsheds, just an opportunity to get back down there and try again!

Sam91, for me, and I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I personally use several different methods to varying degrees depending on the photo. I'll be the first one to say that i'm not exactly the best photog, so I don't know how much weight what i'm saying would have. It's one of those things where the saying 'theres more than one way to skin a cat' really does apply. When you say sharpening, do you mean sharpening for the web? or general sharpening?

A couple of generic methods you can try for the web are:

A)
*resize the image to 3 times what you want for the web
*image>sharpen
*image>sharpen
*now resize the image to the actual web size output you desired
*save for web

B)
*resize the image to the desired web size
*filter>USM, 0.2 pixels @ 200%, 0 threshold
*save for web

Like I said, these are just generic, and may or may not work for you, but I hope it helps.

Anyways, due to some events over the past little while I havn't been able to get on here and post, although I have been lurking in my spare time to try and keep up to date. I'd just like to say there has been some bangin shots on here lately, and I look forward to spending this year filled with shooting, riding and good times, and also sharing those experiences with you all!

I'll finish with a shot I took the other night... getting my tourist on...

and a B&W shot

Apologies, I had to shrink these shots down as it seems I can only post to a certain size before rotorburn starts compressing the shots (if rotorburn isn't compressing them already), on top of the flickr compression, or maybe i'm just doing it wrong.

Cheers, Andrew

Last edited:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mega snip!
Everything here is just pure win! Love it all man!!

On the sharpening front, I tend to resize image an unsharp mask at 0.2 pixels at anywhere between 200%-500% I also tend to use nik software, sharpener Pro when things get a bit more serious as it allows masking on sharpening layers, and also varied sharpness across the image which removes the oversharpened issue at times when some things need less or more sharpening than others, as a side note I find the Nik software suite to be an invaluable tool.

Oh hey! Also while im posting, looking at buying a new printer, would like one for printing rolls of A3 size or if money stretches A2 capability, looking at either HP or Canon, not epson as ive had too many bad experiences. Could anyone make some reccomendations? Id love to keep it to around $1000. Networking ability would be prime, prefer wireless over ethernet, but either are good. Thanks in advance to all :)

Last edited:

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the help guys, my current proccess for photos I want a full resolution copy of is: USM Filter save. Then resize for web and save as.. whether this is a great way, im not sure..

Also Andrew those shots are great, Loving the portrait!

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry about being MIA for a while guys, been pretty busy! Along with a harddrive crash here and there, loosing all my apps, but thankfully not my files along the way.
Here is one from Chamonix:

EP-2 | 14-42mm

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
desktop colour

hey guys... anyone had this problem before?

when setting a photo to the desktop, it is no good.

do not use jpeg when setting backgrounds.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Only time I've ever experienced that was when uploading Adobe RGB (as opposed to sRGB) images to Flickr. Perhaps it's something to do with your colourspace?

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys!

Angus, yeah mate was with the 17-40, i'm really stolked about that lens. It was actually Olly's one that he had up for sale not long ago.

On another note, i'm really tired of the cokin P-series colour cast, so i'm after a good set of hard ND-grads. I've done a bit of research, and my questions are, are the Lee filters the only one's to go? are there any others in that sort of league worth looking at?

I've heard that Singh Ray filters are also great but I have yet to actually meet someone that has a set.

Last edited:

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
Lens?

Hey Guys, Im looking for a wide angled lense for my Cannon EOS 500D, and wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions as to what lens i should buy? I will be mainly using the lens for sports photography and some landscape photos and i want the lens to be fairly wide. If you have any suggestions, thanks in advance.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Hey Guys, Im looking for a wide angled lense for my Cannon EOS 500D, and wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions as to what lens i should buy? I will be mainly using the lens for sports photography and some landscape photos and i want the lens to be fairly wide. If you have any suggestions, thanks in advance.
For sports, you'd be after a fast telephoto lens (ie. the other end of the spectrum) - WA lenses probably aren't the most suitable with that in mind but for Landscape photography, you can't go beyond the Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or if you can afford it, the Canon 10-22mm.

Good luck!

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
For sports, you'd be after a fast telephoto lens (ie. the other end of the spectrum) - WA lenses probably aren't the most suitable with that in mind but for Landscape photography, you can't go beyond the Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or if you can afford it, the Canon 10-22mm.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, i will have to go and check them out.

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Hey mate well it depends how wide you want to go and you would want something fast for sports especially in low light. You could go with something like the tokina 11-16mm f2.8, sigma 10-20mm f3.5 (which isnt as fast but give you more zoom range). However these will limit you if you wish to zoom a bit and will set you back around $1000. If you were just after a replacment for say the 18-55 you could go with the canon efs 17-55 f2.5 which again will cost around $1000 or maybe sigma or tamron's equivalent zoom lense, Which think are the 17-50 f2.8? which could cost you alot less whether you go for a stabilised lense or not. I hope this helps :) Also Ango has alot of knowledge in the lense department so he might be able to help you out a bit more than me. Really it comes down to usability and price which is up to you :)

While I'm here, two from yesterday down.

A second flash would have been handy I think for fill from the left, thoughts?