The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Jase, awesome shots. I take it the car shots are through the fence? If so, bloody good job.

On another note, does anyone know how to batch edit the exif data on a group of shots? I have a bout 150+ I need to update. Here's a list of Apps I have that I can possibly use (Both PC & Mac):
Photoshop CS5
Lightroom 2
ACDSee Pro 3
Aperture

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys, most of the day was 1/800, f/7.1 ISO200, I would say all shots there are shot with that. And yeah Hux, all shot through a dam fence.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Cheers guys, most of the day was 1/800, f/7.1 ISO200, I would say all shots there are shot with that. And yeah Hux, all shot through a dam fence.
Last time I went, I had V8 Supercar team passes. Even then I still couldn't get myself into a position where I could shoot without a fence in the road. These spots were usually taken by some pro snapper. Can you believe I passed up one of these passes to mow my lawns and watch it on TV last weekend!:confused:

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Copyright (again)

Howdy. I know this topic has been covered at least a few times, but since the photographs were posted on Facebook a while back, that might change something copyright wise?

Anyway, one of my friends has just been picked up by a major bike company to race worlds in the coming years, and they've used 3-4 of my photo's in the 'Team' section of their website.

Since the photogs were on facebook under one of my albums, doesn't this technically mean they're property of facebook? Should I just send an e-mail and see what's going on with it?

Sorry if this has been covered more than the few times I've seen it, but the circumstances seem somewhat different. Thanks very much for any info guys, it's appreciated.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Howdy. I know this topic has been covered at least a few times, but since the photographs were posted on Facebook a while back, that might change something copyright wise?

Anyway, one of my friends has just been picked up by a major bike company to race worlds in the coming years, and they've used 3-4 of my photo's in the 'Team' section of their website.

Since the photogs were on facebook under one of my albums, doesn't this technically mean they're property of facebook? Should I just send an e-mail and see what's going on with it?

Sorry if this has been covered more than the few times I've seen it, but the circumstances seem somewhat different. Thanks very much for any info guys, it's appreciated.
Hey mate,

Have the photos been used in the team section of the bike company's facebook page?

The key distinction here is that when you upload photos to facebook, you are giving them: "a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

What this means is that you are assigning all your rights to facebook, so that they can use the photos as they wish (yes, even in an advertisment. They can sell them too)

However, this licence does not transfer to third parties, unless facebook explicitly sub-licenses it out to a third party.

In simple terms, other people (i.e. the bike manufacturer) cannot, without your permission, publish your photographs.

The license is only to facebook, nobody else. So if they have it up on their team website, then the standard (Australian) laws of copyright apply to your photographs.

You retain all rights, so you can claim as you wish against them. I would certainly suggest sending them a letter that explains to them, in very clear terms, that what they are doing is in breach of copyright.

Heck, even throw in an account of profits if you feel like it. I am sick of seeing this sort of thing on the internet.

[Note: this is NOT legal advice :)]

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Some that i can show you guys, must say im pretty happy with how they turned out. Big step up for me :)

Yehh, she had to wear the hat, trust me.. I lost that battle.

Anyway, would loveeee some thoughts on these!

(oh and flickr has cooked the first one. )

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Alex,
1 and 3 are so good! - saturation a bit high in 1 though? looks a bit too colourful for me.

Don't like 2 as much, looks awkward/forced/looks like the camera is forcing something out of her. Exactly the opposite of 1 and 3, and what makes them so good.

Huge jump from your car shots to these though! Well in!

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Thanks Oliver, very much appreciated.

No, the photo's weren't on facebook, I'm assuming that's just where they took them from (friend was tagged in them, had one as his profile pic for a bit). The photo's are actually on www.[I]company[/I].com/teams/profile. I'd probably have been happy to let them use the photo's if credit was given, but they should at least have had the decency to ask?

Would you suggest an e-mail or a letter? I think the letter seems more serious and professional, but would it make that big a difference?

Once again, thanks for writing that all out, very clear and concise.

condog

Likes Dirt

No, the photo's weren't on facebook, I'm assuming that's just where they took them from (friend was tagged in them, had one as his profile pic for a bit). The photo's are actually on www.[I]company[/I].com/teams/profile. I'd probably have been happy to let them use the photo's if credit was given, but they should at least have had the decency to ask?

Would you suggest an e-mail or a letter? I think the letter seems more serious and professional, but would it make that big a difference?

Dad told you thats what the photos where for Ray and offered money (that you refused).............

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Alex,
1 and 3 are so good! - saturation a bit high in 1 though? looks a bit too colourful for me.

Don't like 2 as much, looks awkward/forced/looks like the camera is forcing something out of her. Exactly the opposite of 1 and 3, and what makes them so good.

Huge jump from your car shots to these though! Well in!
Cheers mate! I need to shoot more people, cause i am always surprised when i do!

Yeah as i said flickr cooked no. 1 !

This wasnt just a hey lets take photos shoot, i wanted a certain look, something different! I will have more for you later but this is all i can show you till the clothes come out !

I think the last one is the best photo i have ever taken, happy days :)

Oliver.

Liquid Productions

You can probably do either, although a letter is more formal, and might give them a bit more of a jolt. It's sometimes hard because you may like the brand, or in your case, know one of the sponsored riders. However, as long as you're clear with your terms, it's very unlikely you will tread on any toes.

I would probably suggest sending them a firm but polite response (letter or email), either requesting them to take the images down within fourteen days of the receipt of the response, or credit you appropriately for each image (also within fourteen days). Make sure that you set out this timeframe as clearly as possible. If you send a letter, date it. Fourteen days is usually pretty reasonable.

If you want to be sure they don't miss one, attach a copy/thumbnails of all the images you want either removed or copyrighted.

If they refuse, post back here. But I doubt they will have a problem with either of those demands. :)

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
On another note, does anyone know how to batch edit the exif data on a group of shots? I have a bout 150+ I need to update. Here's a list of Apps I have that I can possibly use (Both PC & Mac):
Photoshop CS5
Lightroom 2
ACDSee Pro 3
Aperture
In case anyone is wondering, there are some spiffy tools out there that will do this, one awesome free one if you have time to learn Perl scripting.....but alas I don't.

So here's what I did, I used PS CS5's Import/Export tool to export an xml file once I had populated the exif data to my liking.
I created an automated batch process that imported the xml file data into the images.
This was fine for the .jpgs, but failed on the raw files.
So I opened up Adobe Bridge and selected all the CR2 files, imported the same .xml file as previous, closed bridge. All updated.

Yeehaa!

I'm off to bed!:D

But not before posting a pic.

1st ever attempt at photograpghing the moon. 1st few were horrible, then I did some reading and came up with this.
Taken on the 19th of March when the Moon was the closest it's been in 18 years.

Last edited:

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Alex, Fantastic work! I have to agree that it's probably your best out of what you have shown us. Just curious, How did you pick up the job?

Once again keep up the good work!

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Alex, Fantastic work! I have to agree that it's probably your best out of what you have shown us. Just curious, How did you pick up the job?

Once again keep up the good work!
thanks heaps!

Well we kinda knew each other, and he just asked me on facebook, haha.

Typically i didnt accept money for this shoot, probably should have..

Awesome last shot drew!