The Photo Snob Thread

Sam91

Likes Bikes
I agree, nice work sam, also what aperture are you shooting at? it seems a little soft, however love the tones and sky :)

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys!

Craig: yeah, the second one is a touch oof. Shooting with a fisheye, looking straight at the sun and even with live view at 10x (I use this technique too, it's great!), it was hard to get it right :( I dunno, I am pretty happy with the outcome regardless. Can't wait to get down to that location and shoot some more!

instinct: ahem... it may be.

Sam: ...ahem. f/22. *hides*

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Yeah rad photos Drew, I've always wondered, did you burn the vignette in the grass around the subject? I've seen it in quite a few of your photos, heh

what is "Live view at 10x" im interested as to what it is and how to do it?
You go into live view, zoom into 10x zoom then use manual focus to make sure your focus is dead on your subject.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Had a recent trip to Darwin and got a few shots that I would love some criticism on, how I could compose them better and any tips for post processing. I am using lightroom but haven't done post on many, mostly because I'm not sure what they need. It is all practise I guess. Anyway here is a couple I think turned out the best:

Lots more on my flickr

tu plang

knob
I like the idea of the first one and you've composed it probably as good as could be asked of you (short of moving the bird and sun ;) ). My comment is just that the bird is a bit lost in the frame.

The best bird shots I've seen really leave no question as to what you're focusing on... which leads me to number 2 - great stuff. Bird fills the frame and the angle is great - good detail in the wing and he's looking in to the lens. Can't ask for much more.

3rd one is a brilliant idea and its well exposed but feels a bit empty. If it had a surf life saver standing to the right with his left arm holding the pole (in full silhouette) it would be nothing short of brilliant. If you see me post a photo just like this soon, you'll know I stole your idea :p

With birds it's all about timing, framing and angle... but mostly timing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dowpic/4159613807/in/faves-benjamin-h/ (and more timing)

(And if you thought your timing was good, add some more) http://www.flickr.com/photos/89112011@N00/4325387032/in/faves-benjamin-h/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianbrooke/5716533143/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/springnoel/5485178641/in/faves-benjamin-h/

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Tim,the 2nd and 3rd shots are RAD. The bird is even looking at you which is obviously pure luck but who cares. The 3rd shot is one I saw and straight away said "that's awesome". Perfect exposure, but as much as Ben's suggestion sounds sweet, I really like the simplicity of it and the clean lines in the sand and the horizon.
Great work.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for the comments guys i really appreciate it :) Some of those bird shots are incredible,
definitely something to work up to!
Is there anything i could do better in terms of post processing? I'm really just not sure when a photo needs some processing and what they need, i think this is what i need to work on..

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
Just a few i took tonight for a mate and myself. Was a nice simple location under LED lights, Only problem was there were orange lights on the road above, so there are slight orange bits on mainy the VN. more can be seen on my flickr

5908510768_18ea27d6e4_b.jpg

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not saying I could do better, but from what I'm seeing, this photo could be improved. As far as composition goes, this is pretty good however the lighting could be better. With a darker backgorund, slightly darker foreground and flash aimed more upwards to wards the rider, this pic would be awesome. Withought knowing what setting you are using, what I would do if I took a photo like that, I would reduce the flash power just sligtly or move it further away so it still freezes the rider, but isn't blindingly bright. I would also stop down my aperture a bit. Keep your shutter speed up to, again, freeze the rider, but with a smaller aperture, you can darken the background, get better colours and isolate the rider better.

Again, I don't have a flash to take photos like that, but if that's the result I got, that's what I would be trying. Maybe Tristan or someone else with more experience could help you out better. They may also say that my suggestions are wrong.
Haha funny you say that, I normally do go a fair bit darker with my DH photos. Alot of people liked it, alot didn't - so I took the other approach and went lighter. And bam same results :p I'll post a slightly darker one below, one I'm actually not to keen on - but I've had a few people tell me they think it's awesome. Thoughts?

Feel like there is way to much ground on the bottom, its really distracting!
might depend on how you view it and the size of your screen, that part of it looks good to me :)

were you shooting with an on camera flash? it looks very flat.
Nah, but it's only just to the left of me. Barely off camera haha.

bird shot
Loving the second bird one! That's awesome!!

car shots
Take off the number plates and p plates for starters...

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
Tim,the 2nd and 3rd shots are RAD. The bird is even looking at you which is obviously pure luck but who cares. The 3rd shot is one I saw and straight away said "that's awesome". Perfect exposure, but as much as Ben's suggestion sounds sweet, I really like the simplicity of it and the clean lines in the sand and the horizon.
Great work.
Yeah don't get me wrong, it is great and the execution as is is pretty much spot on.

Thanks heaps for the comments guys i really appreciate it :) Some of those bird shots are incredible,
definitely something to work up to!
Is there anything i could do better in terms of post processing? I'm really just not sure when a photo needs some processing and what they need, i think this is what i need to work on..
Yeah they are incredible. Something to work up to for you and me both! Now to find the birds...

To some extent if you dont know where to use pp then thats a good thing. If you're happy with the out of camera results that means you're doing what you set out to do - take good photos. I have gotten more crafty with my photoshop skills after my travels in the US where we only had a few days in each location and got good/bad/ugly conditions and couldn't shoot exclusively in the early morning or afternoon. For me, pp is not about working magic to create some fantastical image out of nothing but sometimes you'll have a photo and you can see potential there but know something is lacking. If you can figure out where it is you want to take the photo then you can often find tutorials on how to do/fix certain things. I don't like the attitude of sitting down with a photo and aimlessly fiddling until you create something wacky looking, I think you need to have a bit of an idea where you want to take it/how you need to fix it and then learn how to achieve that. Having said that, don't be afraid to experiment with the tools at hand - its the best way to learn - just don't lose sight of where the photo is going... lest you end up with something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunburntcountry/2802076043/

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I finally got around to trying a car shoot for the first time. I'd like some "constructive" critisism as I know it's far from the standard that Callan or Drew produce but would love to do some more of this stuff. I know the rims have come out in different colour casts because I didn't have a flash directly facing the front rim as opposed to the back, you learn from your mistakes I guess. I've now got access to some VERY nice vehicles through some friends too. This one is a mates VY HSV Clubsport shot at work (don't tell the boss):rolleyes:

5907887810_f41a81656e_b.jpg

Sam91

Likes Bikes
I finally got around to trying a car shoot for the first time. I'd like some "constructive" critisism as I know it's far from the standard that Callan or Drew produce but would love to do some more of this stuff. I know the rims have come out in different colour casts because I didn't have a flash directly facing the front rim as opposed to the back, you learn from your mistakes I guess. I've now got access to some VERY nice vehicles through some friends too. This one is a mates VY HSV Clubsport shot at work (don't tell the boss):rolleyes:
Not too bad craig, one way to fix the wheel issue is to blend multiple shots into one with different layer masks, say one shot with the flash setup for exposing the wheels right, and a second or even third for background and rest of the car. I like the composition though, nice and high which is different from the average car shot, keep at it!

Edit: Also try using a polarising filter, which will help with your reflections :D