The Photo Snob Thread

Sam.

Eats Squid
Liking that, Will!

Used an underwater housing for the first time today, much harder than I anticipated!

6135229625_0ddf10e838_b.jpg

6135229497_a8980ab228_b.jpg

6135229321_f6364db9c5_b.jpg

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
love the shot of the R8!

like has been said tho, bad pole placement!

oh and alex, i like the lighting ect of the last lot of photos you posted, but next time get a human model! maniquins are so... expressionless!

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
When guys display lots of expression it looks shit, unless, they can do it well, but tom isn't a model :p . I liked the photos, tried some different things, DIDNT SHOOT AT F/1.8, haha.

Still sooo many out of focus shots, even close up (~2-3meters away) it would focus on the background, when the focus point was on his face.. No joke.

5DII sig 50 be mineeee alreadyy.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still sooo many out of focus shots, even close up (~2-3meters away) it would focus on the background, when the focus point was on his face.. No joke.
I have exactly the same problem, it's so annoying! My first camera never had problems with it, and this one 2 out of 3 shots it's screws up the focus.

And I guess you have a point about showing expression, idk he just looks/stands almost the same in all of them.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I love this 35mm too much!
Love the first shot in particular!

Went out with the camera yesterday. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Trying to use the afternoon sun to the best of my ability.

Not much happening in this one, more like a stock photo I guess. If I find someone who owns a baseball bat and long socks I'll try something else I have in mind for this spot.

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Next time you would be better off shooting at ISO100 , and say 1/320 or what ever it would be, always keep the ISO as low as possible, unless it is going to have a negative effect on shutter speed (blur) . This is a rule i MUST live by owning an 1000d :p ..

Its not safe to shoot two people at f/1.8 either, as one person will normally be in focus, and the other person will almost always be on a different "focal plain" . Even if its 3cm, it will make a difference at f/1.8 . That being said, i am the biggest offender when it comes to shooting to wide open.. So hypocritical, i am learning to take me own advice, haha.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Next time you would be better off shooting at ISO100 , and say 1/320 or what ever it would be, always keep the ISO as low as possible, unless it is going to have a negative effect on shutter speed (blur) . This is a rule i MUST live by owning an 1000d :p ..

Its not safe to shoot two people at f/1.8 either, as one person will normally be in focus, and the other person will almost always be on a different "focal plain" . Even if its 3cm, it will make a difference at f/1.8 . That being said, i am the biggest offender when it comes to shooting to wide open.. So hypocritical, i am learning to take me own advice, haha.
Yeah im not sure why it was ISO400, that was about 4 months ago, i have learnt ALOT since then. My ISO now just about ALWAYS stays at ISO100. And i know what you mean by it being had to get what you in facus at 1.8/f but i just love bokah hahah.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Just to reiterate the age old rule:

To avoid blur caused by camera shake, the minimum shutter speed you should use is the reciprocal of the focal length of the lens in question. For a 50mm lens, the associated shutter speed is 1/50th of a second. This will differ for APS-C users who will need to factor in their 'crop factor' (1.5x, 1.6x etc) in order to obtain their adjusted focal length.

It's not just that but most optical annomolies (fall off, abborations etc) occur wide open which cause (depending on the quality of the optics in the lens of course) some form of image degradation. You're much better using an aperture a stop or two smaller.

Just got back from my little trip - pictures to come.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Tried some "beauty" style shots in my loungeroom the other day, thoughts?
Pretty nice for a very simple setup. I'm guessing this was just one light? Speedlight + umbrella perhaps?

A couple of pointers: Get in a little closer and crop out the dead space at the top. The composition is a little boring at the moment and it'd be a really nice portrait if her head took up more of the photo. Also, do you have another flash by any chance? Adding a really subtle rim light by placing a flash directly opposite your main light to light her hair and separate her from the background would really improve the shot.

Apart from that, good work.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Nice shot craig, it is looking a little over saturated on my iMac. But very nice work. Lighting is great.

Ill chuck in a photo, big photo taking urge tonight, this kinda helped it :)

Looking at it now, would have liked less blacks, less saturation. meh :)

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate :) It was hard to get the distortion right shooting at 18mm, close enough. Would be a cool shot with someone on the bed, will do it soon :) Mannn this bed is comfy too ha.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
As promised, a few snaps from the trip.

Hiked out to Craig's Hut here in Vic with fellow photographers, the Burrage Brothers. We originally hoped for snow to make for a rather unique capture of one of the High Country's most pominant cattleman's huts with a Fotoman 617 panoramic camera. Although not a true cattleman's hut (it was made for the movie 'The Man From Snowy River', its location and aesthetic make if one of the most iconic huts in the Australian Alps.

The hut can be accessed in summer by 4WD but winter provides something not frequently attempted with larger format cameras (Photographer Mark Grey once got a cracker of the hut in snow but he was flow in by helipoter...cheat :p)

We had two sunrises/moonsets/sunsets to play with as well as pleanty of time for videoing (something new to me) - unfortunately we may only have executed one due to some foul weather thrown at us and even then, may be a little iffy. On the return trip, weather offered a tiny window of opportunity to capture the lone Snowgum atop Mt Stirling (below) that features in the resort's logo. I think my hands almost froze up there!

The trip was also used as a bit of a test to see whether one could actually carry such an array of photography equipment into a remote location in addition to winter clothing and hiking gear. I'd call myself a 'seasoned' bush walker but I've never lugged much photography shit in my life!

In addition to the panoramic camera, between us we lugged:
  • 3 tripods - Manfrottos 190XPROB with 128 video head, 190XPROB with 410 Geared Head and a 055XPROB with 405 Geared Head
  • 3 DSLRS - Nikon D90, D300s and D3
  • Shotgun Mic (a tidy little unit sourced from Jaycar)
  • Full compliment of X-Pro and P-Series Cokin filters
  • Film
  • Fark Off Mountaineering tent (sourced through work)

Special mention to the humble D300s that kept on videoing despite sub zero temperatures, rain and snow. Couldn't ask for much more out of a camera!

Though the planned shots on the pano were not captured, still managed a bit of video and digital stills and a number of interval time laps sequences - thought I might share a few.

6146958432_eaa1c2d145.jpg

6146412627_caf5cd0d3b.jpg

6146963622_52e00892fb.jpg

6146964570_e7990118f8.jpg

6146416347_188237d3cb.jpg

6146438889_fdc250b252.jpg

6146417437_00feb388ae.jpg

-Angus

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the comments guys. As for the Saturation, I have not added any saturation at all, only boosted the vibrancy and slightly upped the contrast along with some levels adjustment. The bright colour is based on what is common in the glamour scene. If you check out some of Danial Gowans (www.cre8tivepixels.com) work you'll see what I mean. He is one of my biggest inspirations right now for this style of photography.
Can't wait to give the new lens a workout at this weekends shoot too :D

PS. Ango, you've got some amazing images here. Love the 3rd shot although, I'd crop just a fraction off the top but that's me :)
I'd hate to think how much all that gear weighed. I'm organising a trip in late April to South Is NZ for some landscape shots. Can't wait

Last edited: