The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Angus - Wooo! Well done dude. Definitely some of the best shots we've seen in this thread by far. As Olly said, i'd love to see the third shot a little larger, for sure.

Cool story too by the way.

Edit: Just found on Flickr. Sweet!

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Angus - Radical man! well worth the effort, i'm keen to do some hikes like this. How heavy were your packs??? were you able to skimp on the water?

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Didnt you have a sigma before? I bet you will have fun with that! :nevreness:
Yep, sold to a mate cheap. First impressions between the two is the Canon has slightly faster AF and more vibrant so I might have to start de-saturating my images from now on

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
So I don't want to be the first to post a photo after those killer ones but I'm looking for some advice.
I shot this tonight for some fun - not really sure what to think of the result.
DSC_0016-2.jpg

And my super ghetto set-up.
The stool + box is my tripod since my actual one conveniently snapped. My brother was dropping water into a bowl lit by two desklights and infront of a blue card backdrop.
DSC_0063.jpg

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thanks for the comments guys!

How heavy were your packs??? were you able to skimp on the water?
Definitely pushing 25kg I'd say. I was really happy when I pulled on my pack but soon realized I was yet to strap on my tripod, snowshoes and water!

We did have to skimp on water unfortunately - pack weight was simply too unmanageable. Initially we planned for 4L each but dropped it back to 2L and settled on melting snow, or else, going for a hunt around the hut for any creeks on the second day. Rangers had previously told us water was unavailable but a quick hunt around revealed a small creek near by in addition to a rainwater tank at the toilets.

The boys are looking to obtain a carbon fibre version of the 055 XPROB - drops almost a kg in overall weight!

What is that pano camera and does it run off film or digi?
It's 6 x 17 medium format and takes 120 film producing transperincies of 56 x 168mm ('positives' instead of negatives). The result is phenomenal image quality that can be blown up to billboard size with little loss in quality. Really does put 35mm digital to shame bu t it's 11 times the size afterall...

Kelvin, the man on the right recently purchased two 6 x 24 format cameras (that's 4:1 aspect ratio and offers an image area of 56 × 224!) Problem is though that it pushes central subject content so far back that it is potentially too impractical for many situations. The cameras physical size is also quite alarming too.

As someone well versed in 135 / digital, it's all quite a learning curve!

Last edited:

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Pretty nice for a very simple setup. I'm guessing this was just one light? Speedlight + umbrella perhaps?

A couple of pointers: Get in a little closer and crop out the dead space at the top. The composition is a little boring at the moment and it'd be a really nice portrait if her head took up more of the photo. Also, do you have another flash by any chance? Adding a really subtle rim light by placing a flash directly opposite your main light to light her hair and separate her from the background would really improve the shot.

Apart from that, good work.
I was using a very cheap ebay softbox, and a sheet of polystyrene underneath, reflecting some light up into her face. I couldn't actually use a rimlight because the ebay light requires a sync cord, and my nikon D90 doesn't have a sync port so i have one of those hotshoe adapters which does not allow me to use any other triggers etc.
Thanks for the feedback !

tu plang

knob
Couple of new ones from my otherwise hellish time in Biloela. It's some consolation to come out of 3 weeks of mundane work and isolation with some photos I like. CC would be great.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
twchkin, really like it! how many shots did you have to take to get the timing right!

tu plang, i could see these on an advertising billboard, great photos! amazing light ect

i know this wont be everyones thing but i have been playing around and since i dont really have anyone else to take photos of...

shadows by rohan batt, on Flickr

and another stitch from nz

queenstown by rohan batt, on Flickr

Sam.

Eats Squid
Hey all, another infrequent post comin' atcha.

I recently visited Cardrona ski resort in New Zealand for a snowboarding trip with the girly, but after eating some bad chicken at Cardrona's noodle bar on the first day we both ended up rather sick and I missed out on taking a stack of photos I'd hoped to get. Managed to scrape through with this, thus far aside from the normal touristy ones.

Not too sure what I think of it, thoughts?

Last edited:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all, another infrequent post comin' atcha.

I recently visited Cardrona ski resort in New Zealand for a snowboarding trip with the girly, but after eating some bad chicken at Cardrona's noodle bar on the first day we both ended up rather sick and I missed out on taking a stack of photos I'd hoped to get. Managed to scrape through with this, thus far aside from the normal touristy ones.

Not too sure what I think of it, thoughts?
I like the photo! I think you would have been better off going to coronet peak, and that noodle place is dodgy! We got pad Thai there and it was like chilli bean noodles...