The Photo Snob Thread

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I got my hands on a Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8 today! Got it at an amazing price of $1000. I wasn't really looking to buy this lens but an opportunity popped up and it was $1000 so i couldn't resist. Though i don't really take many photos where i need to zoom that much, allot of my shots are between 20mm - 70mm at the moment but im just getting into photography.

I know its a superb lens but should i sell it and get something like the 24-105mm instead or similar?
Incredible price my friend. Incredible.

The beauty of L glass like this is that it will hold it's value - you actually stand to make money off this lens considering the price you paid!

However

I'd personally hang onto it. Give it a little time and reassess when you've had more time to put it to use.

Deliberately incorporate it into your photography. Make use of distance. Make use of distortion (use, even tele lenses offer their own set of rules for distorition characteristics, especially with regards to compression - example)

Telephoto lenses give a wonderful dynamic to portraiture also.

I must admit I don't use my 70-200 quite as frequently as I'd like but I'm well grateful when it's required for a job and I have my own lens at hand.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I must admit I don't use my 70-200 quite as frequently as I'd like but I'm well grateful when it's required for a job and I have my own lens at hand.
Yeah, i'm similar...I don't use mine all that much (70-200 f/4L IS) but when I do i'm always stoked. It produces amazing results and is ridiculously sharp. They definitely produce even nicer results on full-frame bodies, but obviously that's not always an option.

If you've got a good copy, definitely hang onto it.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
awesome read! thanks for re-posting it tristan.
No worries dude. We should be thanking the original guy who linked it. :)

I've been shooting a bunch of boring birthday parties, product and weddings lately so I thought i'd blog something a little different tonight.

Check it out, HERE.

kathiemt

Likes Bikes

I've been shooting a bunch of boring birthday parties, product and weddings lately so I thought i'd blog something a little different tonight.

Check it out, HERE.
Loved the blog post and the pic - awesome. Thanks for sharing. Have left a comment at your blog.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On your death bed, will you regret not making a few extra
bucks on your photography or getting the latest model of
DSLR? It’s more likely you will regret not creating more art.
I really like this quote.

The main problem I find is finding time to share my photos. I've taken thousands but they just sit on my hard-drive. I've almost got myself into a routine of hoarding photos and not sharing. I love taking photos but I just don't have the time to process them. Does anybody else find this?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
The main problem I find is finding time to share my photos. I've taken thousands but they just sit on my hard-drive. I've almost got myself into a routine of hoarding photos and not sharing. I love taking photos but I just don't have the time to process them. Does anybody else find this?
I think the point of the article is to point out that less is actually more. Read chapter 7 again...

"The garbage can is the most important tool in the darkroom. Editing is the skill that separates the decent photographers from great photographers. Great photographers shoot just as many duds as decent photographers, but the public never sees the duds... An editorial photographer at a major magazine may take thousands of photos for a feature and publish only 5 in the story. Being conservative with what you show to the world protects your reputation and tells a better story."

For every thousand photos you take, choose one you like the most and stick with it. Or better yet, don't shoot those thousand photos and your job will be made even easier - focus on creating only one image, rather than just taking many shots. You may spend a little more time creating it, but you won't waste lots of time culling and choosing from a whole bunch, and you'll know it's an image the world will want to see.

Last edited:

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
I really like this quote.

I've had to set up a routine. I have thousands of photos on my harddrive and backed up to an external hard drive. My 'best' shots are also on an online back up drive and some are burnt to CD. I upload a lot at Flickr and you can see them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathiemt/.

I belong to a couple of photographer's forums so am actively encouraged by other photographers and have learnt to make some things routine - but it is easy to fall out of habits if you don't maintain them. The fact that I have shared photos also means I've had an exhibition, sold photos at markets and in a cafe and online also. If I hadn't shared them, that wouldn't have happened. :biggrin:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Andrew, I feel compelled to heap praise on you for your skill behind the camera. It's not very often an image is posted on these pages where one can feel completely blown away! Thank you kind sir for sharing!

Check it out, HERE.
Tristan, I read your blog before reading the Lesser Photographer. I must say reading you blog about that image and the story behind it certainly makes the image more impressive. I knew the brief history of it from reading these pages, but the story you told on your blog elevates the image to an almost iconic level. Which bring me back to the story teller part of the Lesser Photographer. It does make a difference!

I'd also add, after reading the story behind it, you seem very wise for your age! lol

Cheers

Hux

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Andrew- Fantastic shot mate, we dont see images from you very often, but when we do, you never fail to amaze!

Tristan- Great post on your website, I think the idea of a story teller is so fundamental to photography, as a profession, art or even just expressing ones self through images :D

and to the Nikon facebook comment, I think one commentor summed it up quite well- facepalm :p

Xplor

Likes Dirt
If you've got a good copy, definitely hang onto it.
The condition if it bloody amazing!! I think i will be hanging onto it. Ill post up some photos from it and tell me if its optically good. I havent as of yet developed on eye for picking out optical sort of stuff in photography.

Last edited: