The Photo Snob Thread

tu plang

knob
No probs guys.

It's been a while since I've posted something up... excuse the compression. During the summer we had a bunch of storms in over the period of a couple of weeks, was sunrise here and the sun was on the horizon. I actually cloned out a lightning bolt that shot out of thr right hand side of the frame.
Awesome. Composition is great and it feels silly to list everything else that is great so i'll leave it there.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Its a C33 laurel. Respect people have different taste in cars. I personally see no appeal in GTI's or mazda 3's. But i respect that you guys do.

tu plang

knob
Its a C33 laurel. Respect people have different taste in cars. I personally see no appeal in GTI's or mazda 3's. But i respect that you guys do.
I don't really think it's a question of people respecting differences here. The type of car was only one point he made...

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Alex I don't mind the set, I for one understand the setting as I often take my car to the local car wash while cruising with mates- sometime in the early hours of the morning lol. Although not a fan of the processing on the second two..

Many photographers describe photography as telling a story, alex is trying to tell a story, or rather document his love for cars and how he and his mates use them.
Yes the car isnt clean, and isnt sitting in a place that some may define as 'worth shooting', but alex isnt try to shooting a feature on the car for a magazine is he? he is purely telling a story of its use... and to be honest I have seen worse photographs posted on this forum

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
No probs guys.

It's been a while since I've posted something up... excuse the compression. During the summer we had a bunch of storms in over the period of a couple of weeks, was sunrise here and the sun was on the horizon. I actually cloned out a lightning bolt that shot out of thr right hand side of the frame.

Unreal, love it!

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Alex - I really like the angle of the first one - it has potential.
I'm not sure about the last angle - it's hard to tell with the little rise infront.
I hae to agree that you should take it somewhere else - both the surroundings and the light are iffy.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Many photographers describe photography as telling a story, alex is trying to tell a story, or rather document his love for cars and how he and his mates use them.
Yes the car isnt clean, and isnt sitting in a place that some may define as 'worth shooting', but alex isnt try to shooting a feature on the car for a magazine is he? he is purely telling a story of its use... and to be honest I have seen worse photographs posted on this forum
This makes sense to me! I find these more interesting then this car in a car park, for this car I think it suits, if it was a Golf, BMW, or WRX ect then it would not have the same affect for me. And sorry for the aggressive response, bad week.

The last one is actually my pick of them all, While the angle is a little confusing it does make the car look lower, and I like that.

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Yeah Dude I like them, I think the 2nd is the best of the 3.

Anyway, Here is one from me from the weekend. Lost use of photoshop so editing on picnik(flickr) :(. Anyone recommend good free editing software (or a way to get photoshop...)

I have a feeling I made this too warm.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I find these more interesting then this car in a car park, for this car I think it suits, if it was a Golf, BMW, or WRX ect then it would not have the same affect for me.
Personally, the reason I don't find these shots appealing is because it appears you haven't done much in the way of going to a bit of effort to make the photos look "good". You've taken your camera and tripod in the car to where your mate washes it, you've taken a couple of photos, processed the shit out of them (and by that I mean you've used a couple of cheap and easy effects to make the n00bs go "ohhhh dayum snap!") and then posted them up. Sure, they "document" the moment, and i'm sure your mate loves them, but in my mind, bar the first being mildly (and I mean mildly) interesting with the star-lights in the background, all three have very little photographic merit or appeal (basics like composition and framing, for example).

alexx23

Likes Dirt
I didn't take lights cause I didn't want to, I didn't want to spot light this car in an empty multi-storie car park. With this car and the culture that goes with it it would not be right, in my opinion. Personally I am very happy the photos.
Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is my favourite car blog, http://shirtstuckedin.com/

That is what I consider awesome car photos, sure, they don't have the technical wow factor that masters like Chris benny produce, but I honestly prefer them.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Just a couple from this weekend. Definitely craving some new gear - think I'll have to start saving for a 7D.

tu plang

knob
Why?
I'm curious too. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about cars or photos of them so I'm going to give what I feel is my fairly objective view, which is to say that was a seemingly never ending page of happy snaps. You can argue that everything is art to somebody but that makes you silly. Without question there are classifiable, identifiable aspects that contribute to overall artistic merit and I would say this is more true for photography than most forms.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
I'm curious too. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about cars or photos of them so I'm going to give what I feel is my fairly objective view, which is to say that was a seemingly never ending page of happy snaps. You can argue that everything is art to somebody but that makes you silly. Without question there are classifiable, identifiable aspects that contribute to overall artistic merit and I would say this is more true for photography than most forms.
I understand what you are saying. I do have massive amounts of respect for the photographers that have amazing technical skills with car photos. Just to be clear on that.

Why do i prefer them? I just do. I think it is my love for Japanese car culture more then anything. I love japanese car culture. In my eyes that Dirty C33 laurel I took photos of in a car wash is beautiful. With shitty paint, a million possible defects, everyone thinks you are a bogan, i get it. But it honestly makes me shiver every time i see that car in real life.

Lets just end it there :)

Good to see you posting Chalkie! The photos don't have the wow factor I have learnt to expect from you, but still nice photos.