The Photo Snob Thread

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Really like the tiger!

I like the idea of the elephant, but miss his eye. And that is a weird tusk...

Not sure what my feelings are on the last one. It's got that lame, washed out indie feel... for a chimp - which to me makes it incredibly interesting and humane. But part of me thinks it's just washed out.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Looking to get some lighting gear guys.
Now I've found these softboxes which seem to be alright.
However a friend of mine is persistent to the fact that I should be getting brollies.

I want to get two stands as well, which will all be used with speed-lights.

What should I get? Any other suggestions?

spj

Likes Bikes
Dude, great zoo shots! Why pick that Gorilla shot over this one though? http://www.flickr.com/photos/starkrats/7060048135/in/photostream/ ?.. If you up the strength of the blacks in that one just a little i reckon you'd have a winner.
I liked a lot of those shots of the gorilla but couldn't really decide which ones would be universally appealing plus I didn't want to clog up the thread.

Thanks for the crit though, will definitely have another go at editing the elephant one.

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
Wow theres some good shots being posted up here, keep up the good work!!

Its been a while since I have posted anything so here goes.

All taken on black and white film, first 3 on Ilford Delta 400 through a 17mm Pentax lens in Christchurch NZ

Last one is the Port Augusta powerhouse with Ilford super 400.

Developed and scanned hi-res by Atkins technicolour

3315-37 by sbruce_87, on Flickr

3315-36 by sbruce_87, on Flickr

3315-30 by sbruce_87, on Flickr

The Lineyard by sbruce_87, on Flickr

Any questions or comments welcome

I have put a few more on Flickr to browse

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rat_cam/

here is the powerhouse set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rat_cam/sets/72157629447264334/

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Looking to get some lighting gear guys.
Now I've found these softboxes which seem to be alright.
However a friend of mine is persistent to the fact that I should be getting brollies.

I want to get two stands as well, which will all be used with speed-lights.

What should I get? Any other suggestions?
Jay, those are fine, Dragon Image also sell them locally.
You can get brollies pretty cheap from them, as well as clamps for them!

tu plang

knob
Wow theres some good shots being posted up here, keep up the good work!!

Its been a while since I have posted anything so here goes.

All taken on black and white film, first 3 on Ilford Delta 400 through a 17mm Pentax lens in Christchurch NZ
Since no one said anything yet and getting no feedback sucks, I'm going to open my big gob and say I don't really like them. Composition wise, it's not clear what I'm meant to be looking at, or even what I am looking at. I am prejudiced to the trap of attaching a fish eye and taking photos of nothing. They are reallllly contrasty (the last one particularly) and maxed out highlights and shadows seem to overpower each shot with mid tones being non existent.

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
Since no one said anything yet and getting no feedback sucks, I'm going to open my big gob and say I don't really like them. Composition wise, it's not clear what I'm meant to be looking at, or even what I am looking at. I am prejudiced to the trap of attaching a fish eye and taking photos of nothing. They are reallllly contrasty (the last one particularly) and maxed out highlights and shadows seem to overpower each shot with mid tones being non existent.

Any feedback is better than no feedback. Yes i do agree with the composition in a way but it was a bit of an experiment with a street scape and the sunset, there is no "subject" per say but i was hoping the layout of some of the lines in the images would pull the eye through it. I was quite happy with third one with the reflection of the sky in the puddle continuing down the street but each to their own.

In relation to the contrast, yes I do like the high contrast black and white effect, its a personal thing I guess and there is a time and place for "soft" black and whites but i didn't feel this was it. They are unedited / cropped and scanned as is.

Cheers

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Jay, those are fine, Dragon Image also sell them locally.
You can get brollies pretty cheap from them, as well as clamps for them!
Oh, haven't heard of these guys before!
Cheers!

Edit: Oh damn, they're quite expensive! haha Might just go for the cheap stuff, then get some umbrella mounts.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Oh, haven't heard of these guys before!
Cheers!

Edit: Oh damn, they're quite expensive! haha Might just go for the cheap stuff, then get some umbrella mounts.
Yep, but the quality is great. I say get the cheaper one for now. The other important thing is get a sandbag weight, otherwise you'd be sending your expensive 580EXII to Sydney for Andrew (Unlearn) to fix!!!!!

Wait....that was me!:very_drunk:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Yep, but the quality is great. I say get the cheaper one for now. The other important thing is get a sandbag weight, otherwise you'd be sending your expensive 580EXII to Sydney for Andrew (Unlearn) to fix!!!!!

Wait....that was me!:very_drunk:
Haha, happy to help.

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Oh and I just thought i'd give this a bump. If no one is interested i'll advertise elsewhere.

Continuing with the sales, I'm selling my Manfrotto 055xprob tripod, excellent condition, there might be a couple of very minor scuffs, you would have to be looking for them to see them though -$150.

Also selling a Manfrotto 498rc2 ball head, again, in excellent condition - $100.

Can provide photo's, and i'm happy to post for $10 each, although i'm not sure if I still have the original boxes for them. Reason for selling - Gitzo.

Photo below sourced from the net, but this is what you'll be buying. Seriously solid tripod and head.

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Few photos from the last week or so, been talking so many photos lately which is great, not lots of good ones but Its just still nice to be talking photos.

These shots really required more effort being put into the hair. My composition is strange, but its just how i felt like shooting. Callan has already pointed out the one dimensional lighting, ill try be more creative next time :) Also, brown back ground as opposed to white.. Don't mind it though.

5dMKII, sigma 50mm 1.4, 26 days.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'm confused, is half her face missing or is it just the way its showing on my phone?

I can dig the last one though, is like to see it as a big print.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Photo I like so i thought I would share!

No need for comments regarding my composition, I know I know :p .
As you wish alexx :p
I will say that I really love the processing on this one though. I feel like I'm looking at a high quality matte print!

alexx23

Likes Dirt
As you wish alexx :p
I will say that I really love the processing on this one though. I feel like I'm looking at a high quality matte print!
Haha. Thanks though! I love this style of processing at the moment, its amazing how different and better it looks on a 50D(work camera) image as opposed to a 1000d image. So excited for my 5DII to arrive! Well, once i work out were to buy it from..

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I've just spent the best ten days of my life driving around the Sth Island of New Zealand and am so stoked with some of the pic's I got. We only had one day of rain which ruined any chance of pics through Arthur's Pass to Franz Josef but it cleared the next day for an epic day on the glacier.
Here's two from the glacier.

7090233711_821bbffdbe_z.jpg

6944164700_c921f53126_z.jpg

On the drive from Franz to Wanaka

6944164246_b231babdc5_z.jpg

One from Lake Hayes just outside Queenstown with Coronet Peak in the background

6944163704_57e700d529_z.jpg

Sunset in Te Anua

7090233239_196c24ef90_z.jpg

One of the most photographed churches in the world, The Church Of The Good Shepard in Tekapo

6944163808_ebc58f40af_z.jpg

Sunrise over Lake Tekapo

6944162548_a1761e819a_z.jpg

Aoraki/Mount Cook

7090232331_1362ac56a0_z.jpg

Last edited: