The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Nice to see the same old faces in here! Some nice work as well.

Not much is news with me, enjoying a semi quite winter before I drown in my first proper wedding season!

**snip**

also been taking photos of hot girls for fun, been doing lots of this. This photo has been munched quality wise though, too lazy to get out of bed to my other computer :p
Alexx, I'm diggin' this! It shows a lot of emotion and the post work is perfect for this image.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Hey Snobbers... Does any one want a few hours work this weekend? I need to be in front of the camera for our new start up (rather than the guy taking the photos! what a change). Even though we're new with $0 cash flow, i'm not asking anyone to work for free (just don't ream me, pls!). Shoot is in Erina (nr Gosford). Transport provided (me driving!).

Usual suspects interested? Gluey? Trist? Callan? etc... interested? Drop me an email is probably best tom@mrblack.co. Cheers.

tu plang

knob
Allan has possibly spoiled the thread with his brilliance for a little while (at least until next page) but nevertheless, the upside-down world of Flickr is liking this one early on:

heavyp

You heard it here first
why all the hostility?

why so anti vsco?
I took your comment as sarcasm, if it wasn't then I'm sorry.

Im anti vsco as its just a trend and becomes the norm for everyone to take an average photo and put a filter over it that makes it look ok.
Fair enough there are a lot of new photogs who have never shot film but I grew up around it and shot and was still getting slide/trannys published in 2010 as I didn't want to do die.

I've been lucky enough to fall into the commercial/advertising world and have been learning how to light properly (no speedlights, all bron/profoto/bowens sometimes up to 10 lights in the studio or on location) and digital operate for some of the best photographers in Australia, I knew how to edit a bit before and make digital look like film but now its getting to the stage where any joe blogg can get a digital camera and put a filter on it without learning anything.

You still have to have a good eye thats the major part of photography but yeah I have issues with it.

You've prob turned off by now but yeah developing b&w film is an art and still one I live by, I still shoot film pretty much ever day and develop it and i've spent years trying to get a certain look from my film. Wow reading that back I sound like im 69 not 29 :-|

tu plang

knob
I took your comment as sarcasm, if it wasn't then I'm sorry.

Im anti vsco as its just a trend and becomes the norm for everyone to take an average photo and put a filter over it that makes it look ok.
Fair enough there are a lot of new photogs who have never shot film but I grew up around it and shot and was still getting slide/trannys published in 2010 as I didn't want to do die.

I've been lucky enough to fall into the commercial/advertising world and have been learning how to light properly (no speedlights, all bron/profoto/bowens sometimes up to 10 lights in the studio or on location) and digital operate for some of the best photographers in Australia, I knew how to edit a bit before and make digital look like film but now its getting to the stage where any joe blogg can get a digital camera and put a filter on it without learning anything.

You still have to have a good eye thats the major part of photography but yeah I have issues with it.

You've prob turned off by now but yeah developing b&w film is an art and still one I live by, I still shoot film pretty much ever day and develop it and i've spent years trying to get a certain look from my film. Wow reading that back I sound like im 69 not 29 :-|
I appreciate where you're coming from, but have to say you do just sound like someone bitter that technology has superseded some of your skillset. It'll happen to all of us in our careers, no doubt, and it'll suck, no doubt. It's part of life though I guess. As you say, you still have to have an eye for the other fundamentals of photography (composition being probably the one that people often have or do not have) else the photo will suck. I think it's futile complaining about workflow enhancements that are accessible, particularly if the end results are comparable.

Also :bounce::

I grew up around it and shot and was still getting ... trannys published

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Superseded my skill set ? didn't you read the part where I said I digital operate for some of the best commercial and advertising photographers in Australia, sorry to sound like that and blow my own trumpet but what I was saying is its easy for people now a days to just pick a look and press a button i.e: Vsco

I can do all those looks and more in PS by just using curves and a few other tweaks yes it may take a few minutes more but any one film has many different looks depending on the conditions/settings it was shot in/at.

I still work with a few photographers that still only shoot film and if you wanna see an amazing process thats the one to watch, ripping polaroids B&W and then colour for half a day to get everything spot on before a single roll of film get put in the camera.

Anyways Ill leave it at that and apologise for to anyone I have offended or come across bitter/nasty and angrily too.
I respect that you grew up on film and that you're seemingly doing well in the industry. I'm in my early 20s and have barely touched a film camera in my life.

However, I don't see how that is all that relevant to the use of VSCO? I don't think VSCO is all that accurate though it has a unique feel that is difficult to replicate. Why should it matter if it takes me 10 seconds to process an image with VSCO or if it takes 3 minutes and I don't use a preset if it has the same result?

I take offence to your comments regarding me and my work posted earlier as I am extremely proud of my work and where I am in my career. I have worked hard, worked shit jobs, shit hours and now it is paying off for me.

I don't rely on VSCO. I simply use it an additive to my photos. I sure as hell don't click one button and let it go. I still do as much as I would have before hand, just with one extra click. And so what? It works for me. It suits my style of photography.

I may have missed it somewhere, but I've never seen any of your work. Ever.

A good photo is a good photo, regardless of VSCO.

I don't know if any of that made sense or had a point. I just woke up.

Last edited: