The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Feedback would be great! Second photo annoys me because i accidentally cut the rock off at the back.
Both photos are nice, in the way a brand new Toyota Camry is 'nice'. They're well exposed, good colours and contrast, are sharp and there's lots of detail in them, but they're just…standard? I don't quite know what i'm looking for in either of them and nothing really draws me in. Does that make sense?

I think the use of a wider lens on the second shot would've made it more interesting.

Ninox

Squid
I think the use of a wider lens on the second shot would've made it more interesting.
The second shot was with a 5D3 and 17mm. Not sure how much wider you'd want. (check the flickr image, all exif is there)

Although Andrew should have no excuse cutting things off in the first instance with the second shot. :) I agree with you regarding the nice, but nothing over exciting comment though.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
I like it. I suspect you mean HDR? What I like is that it appears natural. My kind of HDR result.
Thanks Ninox. Not actually HDR tho. Had 2 exposures, 1 for the foreground, 1 for the background (which was a bit brighter due to the sky) and manually blended them together using PS layer masks.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Two quick random pics from work.

Something that just appeared and then smashed me about 30 seconds after I took this pic. Turned my back on it to get back to whatever I was doing and it made a bee line straight for the ute.

Hamersley Range.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That dirt spout looks cool. We get a similar thing here involving the ocean. Looks cool when there isa few of them together. Did the dirt attack blast you to Kansas or just make a mild fuss?

MasterOfReality

After forever
Nearly blew me off my feet haha. Helmet and glasses went flying and it cleared all the shit off the back of the ute.

The drillers were pissing themselves (they were only 15 m away).

Ninox

Squid
Thanks Ninox. Not actually HDR tho. Had 2 exposures, 1 for the foreground, 1 for the background (which was a bit brighter due to the sky) and manually blended them together using PS layer masks.
Cool, thanks for that. I just assume most mixed lighting shots are HDR and some people just have a good eye for making them look natural. I know about the technique you used, though I never use it. I am not much of a landscape shooter. Usually my PP is no more than 30-60 seconds and most of my PP is in ACR. CS6 is just used to generally resize the images for web after that. Sometimes I will do some layer adjustments or masks, depending on certain image parameters (eg flashed red eye in nocturnal birds), but most of the time my processing is pretty basic (lame perhaps). :thumb:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I just assume most mixed lighting shots are HDR
With exposure blending, you manually "brush" portions of a two or more images together (using layers and masks to tone down highlights, brighten shadows/midtones) into the one image.

HDR requires dedicated software to create an entirely new image with the entire dynamic range represented. The file is then tone mapped into a smaller range that we are able to use. How the tone mapping is carried out gives the widely varying looks (from "normal" to "impressionist painting"...)

Brooksy007: you'd do well to give your image a bit of a boost in saturation, otherwise, not bad dude!

tu plang

knob
Thanks AngoXC - gave that a try and it made it look so much better... much more vibrant. Cheers.
I'd also edit the curves. The risk with any attempt to handle high dynamic range scenes (by HDR or blending) is ending up with very little contrast - can end up removing anything interesting the light had to offer.

Ninox

Squid
With exposure blending, you manually "brush" portions of a two or more images together (using layers and masks to tone down highlights, brighten shadows/midtones) into the one image.
Yes, I am familiar with the above, I just don't use it, as I don't shoot landscapes. When I do (very, very occasionally) I would use HDR techniques. Just less hassle for me during processing. I am not used to endless brushing over images. :thumb:

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Buying a D600 and possibly 70-200 vr from a kid in Mosman. 6 pack for anyone in sydney who can check it out for me?

Last edited:

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Canon 6D + 24-105 F/4 @ JBHIFI - $2350 (after $200 cash back)
Canon 6D + 24-105 F/4 @ DWI - $2285 (grey import)

Canon 6D BODY @ JBHIFI - $1443 (After cash back)
Canon 6D BODY @ DWI - $1609 (grey import)

Looks like ill be making a purchase at JBHIFI this weekend! Thoughts people? Especially on the lens, ive always neglected to research this lens purely because of the f/4.

Should i get the 6D with the 24-105 or just get the body and get another lens... Ahhh decisions decisions. Keep in mind, $2350 is literally my max budget, all my pennies and dimes.

I can get the 24-105 from DWI grey import for $700. Or pay $900 for it in the bundle from JBHIFI. So im thinking i buy the body only from JBHIFI and then get the 24-105 from DWI for $700?

Last edited:

LJG

Likes Bikes
Canon 6D + 24-105 F/4 @ JBHIFI - $2350 (after $200 cash back)
Canon 6D + 24-105 F/4 @ DWI - $2285 (grey import)

Canon 6D BODY @ JBHIFI - $1443 (After cash back)
Canon 6D BODY @ DWI - $1609 (grey import)

Looks like ill be making a purchase at JBHIFI this weekend! Thoughts people? Especially on the lens, ive always neglected to research this lens purely because of the f/4.

Should i get the 6D with the 24-105 or just get the body and get another lens... Ahhh decisions decisions. Keep in mind, $2350 is literally my max budget, all my pennies and dimes.

I can get the 24-105 from DWI grey import for $700. Or pay $900 for it in the bundle from JBHIFI. So im thinking i buy the body only from JBHIFI and then get the 24-105 from DWI for $700?
Everybody boohoo's the humble 24-105 and says get primes or a 24-70. Well I have all that but still would never part with my 24-105. It is one of the most versatile FF lenses on the market. It delivers good sharp pictures and is spot on with focus, mine has never missed. I reckon the 24-105 is still the best walkaround do everything lens you can have in your kit.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Everybody boohoo's the humble 24-105 and says get primes or a 24-70. Well I have all that but still would never part with my 24-105. It is one of the most versatile FF lenses on the market. It delivers good sharp pictures and is spot on with focus, mine has never missed. I reckon the 24-105 is still the best walkaround do everything lens you can have in your kit.
Nothing wrong with the 24-105 f4. You certainly wont notice any quality issues with it using the 6D. If you were using a 5D MKIII and shooting high end stuff then you wouldn't even bother with the 24-70, you would just use primes as they are the best.
I am an ex pro sports and newspaper photographer and I want to downsize my substantial kit as it spends most of it's time under the bed in the bag. The 700d and some of my lenses would do the job by far! So don't get too worried about what you get, just set a budget and stick to it.
Be aware that if you intend on shooting sports, like mountain biking, you might want to invest in 2.8 lenses so you can get the best out of your cameras autofocus. Most if not all Canon camera advanced autofocus systems need a 2.8 lens to use the crosshair AF sensors. It might be f4 now, but I doubt it. I haven't read all the literature on the new gen cameras though.