The QUICK question thread.....

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I second the Summit suggestion. Got mine done there recently (they had availability 24 hrs after I called) and the service/labour was much less than $250. My shock did need a fair bit of TLC to get it going but for a basic service (no seal replacement etc) you should be looking at around $100 less than what you've been quoted elsewhere.
And there's the added bonus that you can check out all the bikes you'll never be able to afford during pick up/drop off...
So much candy in the shop it’s hard to know which way to turn, but those Forbidden Druids are hot

stirk

Burner
Could I paint guides with red automotive brake caliper paint? Would I just give it a light sand back and spray can covering up the inside pistons from the paint?
You can paint them with nail polish if you want, the success will be in preparation and application. If you really need to sand don't use coarse sandpaper on alloy, go very fine so no scratches which would show up later in the paint job.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Are 2.5 inch wide 27.5 tyres of the same brand and model noticeably heavier to pedal than 2.3?
I reckon pressure is more of an influence than size. Going bigger for me means lower pressure and that comes at a cost of more effort. That though makes way for superior grip so it is a no brainer. If you keep the same pissies I doubt you would notice.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Are 2.5 inch wide 27.5 tyres of the same brand and model noticeably heavier to pedal than 2.3?
On a flat uniform surface yes. There's a heap of other variables though on any trail. I would say in all probability climbing is going to be slower, but you'll definitely have more confidence and thus speed on the way down

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
As above it depends on lots of things. A 2.5" Minion DHF for example has way bigger tread blocks than the 2.3, it's not just that the casing is wider. So in that case yes it's noticeably draggier. That said, if you're looking at 2.5" tyres usually rolling resistance is secondary to traction so YMMV. What tyre are you looking at?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The miniscule trade off (if you can even tell) is more than made up for by more grip and a comfier ride.

stirk

Burner
Cheers gang, @leitch, looking at Maxxis aggressor. Currently running the 2.3 and it's great but I do lose traction on some steep trails which can bust your balls if standing on the pedals when the tyre gives way so thinking I need to save my balls and get more traction.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Cheers gang, @leitch, looking at Maxxis aggressor. Currently running the 2.3 and it's great but I do lose traction on some steep trails which can bust your balls if standing on the pedals when the tyre gives way so thinking I need to save my balls and get more traction.
If you're after more traction, but want to keep the 2.3, change to a HR2, or one of the DH tyres. They won't pedal quite as well, but grip will be much better for loose climbing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I say yes! In the free ride or die era I ran 2.8, 2.7, 2.6, 2.5, 2.4, 2.35, 2.3 and so on of a lot of tyres. I never got around to using a 3 inch tyre. Anyway I believe there was a noticeable difference across sizes of same for same tyre swaps (such as a 2.3 to 2.5 minion).

As you up size our tyre you may want to consider a change in tread pattern.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'd be much more inclined to change to something with a grippier tread rather than a wider version of what is effectively a semi-slick. A 2.3" Minion DHF makes a really good rear trail tyre. Or a Dissector - I've found the 2.4" to be really good on the rear with a 2.5" DHF up front, just gets a bit out of its depth when it's really muddy.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
yep i’d b going the 2.5, i ran the 2.5 on the steep trails in macedon, the extra width alone makes up for the diff of not so aggressive tread compared with a dh style tyre..r u running it rear or front? i ran it on the front -i really like it, rolls well but holds up, in thick mud/soft loam it doesn’t have much grip..but the bee dh tyre i have on another rim blocks up also -it has much more aggressive tread