The QUICK question thread.....

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Pro tip: Hairspray for non-lock grips.

Pro tip #2: don't ride immediately after using hairspray to slide grips on; it needs time to set & stick 'em in place.
I was given a travel sized cannister of hairspray years ago that I used for this purpose. It finally rusted and gave up after 15 years of sporadic use.
Air compressor can also be used to install non-lock on grips quickly.

Convince me of a single benefit over lockons, @dirtdad or @Oddjob. Seriously, I can’t objectively think of one.
I’ve never used them, I can’t imagine why I would.
They're cheap!
I loved my old Oury peasant grips. They are still going strong on my brother in law's commuter bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I had a wet 24hr race where I was either riding or the bike was sitting in the wet.

The grips progressively got loose and the more I moved the grips, the worse the hairspray got until they popped off.

I have never went back to slip on grips.

moorey

call me Mia
I was given a travel sized cannister of hairspray years ago that I used for this purpose. It finally rusted and gave up after 15 years of sporadic use.
Air compressor can also be used to install non-lock on grips quickly.

They're cheap!
I loved my old Oury peasant grips. They are still going strong on my brother in law's commuter bike.
I’m not accepting cheap as an excuse/reason from anyone on here…least of all Oddjob :D

moorey

call me Mia
I had a wet 24hr race where I was either riding or the bike was sitting in the wet.

The grips progressively got loose and the more I moved the grips, the worse the hairspray got until they popped off.

This. In the past, slip on were good until they weren’t. Damage the ends of the body, letting a drop of water in, and it’s all over.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Convince me of a single benefit over lockons, @dirtdad or @Oddjob. Seriously, I can’t objectively think of one.
More cush'n for the push'n!
No plastic slide on section means it's all rubber between hands and bar. If thinner grips are your thing, they can be softer/thinner with push ons.

Cheaper (shrug)
As per @Labcanary. Can often grab a few deep discount bmx/MTB push ons for less than $5 each. Good for kids/friends/changing it up regularly.

Modifications
Shorter or longer? Easy! Cut em shorter.
Longer? BMX longnecks. Cut to your size.
Grip shift? Cut the RHS in half.

Anyone having issues with slipping grips just needs to use better glue or add some wire as well. I don't usually have any troubles without it. Grip glue or spray paint. But its cheap 'insurance' to spend the extra minute wiring them on.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The single best feeling lockons for me are the Lizard Skins Northshore. The single ply versions feel even better, because they don't have the hard plastic layer, just soft soft rubber. The fact they are $15 as opposed to $45 is a significant bonus but the sensational feel is the primary reason.

I've also noticed the same thing with Renthal Kevlars and Ourys (which are a close cousin of the Northshore).

Once you get the hang of push ons it also opens up the world of BMX grips like the Odyssey Aaron Ross https://www.luxbmx.com/odyssey-aaron-ross-grips which I'm a big fan of.

But for $15 for the worlds bestest softest gooeeiest grips....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Given how cheap some lock on grips are now, it would take significant convincing for me to go back to slip on grips. I'm converted to lock on and only use slip on grips for the kids bikes now.
Like @dirtdad, I'll grab a few on special and keep them handy in case of emergency grip replacement.

moorey

call me Mia
The single best feeling lockons for me are the Lizard Skins Northshore. The single ply versions feel even better, because they don't have the hard plastic layer, just soft soft rubber. The fact they are $15 as opposed to $45 is a significant bonus but the sensational feel is the primary reason.

I've also noticed the same thing with Renthal Kevlars and Ourys (which are a close cousin of the Northshore).

Once you get the hang of push ons it also opens up the world of BMX grips like the Odyssey Aaron Ross https://www.luxbmx.com/odyssey-aaron-ross-grips which I'm a big fan of.

But for $15 for the worlds bestest softest gooeeiest grips....

That’s your best shot?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

This is why you use proper grip glue or wd40. Hairspray is water soluble by design.

The 3mm safety wire at both ends is an extra safety layer that also helps to keep the water out of the grips.

ozzybmx

This is why you use proper grip glue or wd40. Hairspray is water soluble by design.

The 3mm safety wire at both ends is an extra safety layer that also helps to keep the water out of the grips.
LOCK ON ! you know the score mate.

ozzybmx

Damage the ends of the body, letting a drop of water in, and it’s all over.
K'aoth

I also cant stand the additional lock on the outside.

Tried a load of those style but Ergon just feel so good for me.

Grips are a personal thing too, its like telling someone about a saddle or helmet.

One size does not fit all.

The new GD1's are a very straight grip, the Spank Spike 30 grips are pretty good too.