The QUICK question thread.....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Considering shock options for my Ripley v4, not that the Fox DPS is poor but just to try something else maybe.

The Ripley shock eyelets are offset 90 degrees from each other, as below:

Stock shocks have eyelets parallel like this:

Can the can/shaft usually be rotated to offset, or will it require a bespoke shock order?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The standard DPS just has the shaft rotated around, I imagine most shocks will be the same - otherwise they'd need some kind of internal roller bearings like a lefty/Ocho fork (strut).

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The standard DPS just has the shaft rotated around, I imagine most shocks will be the same - otherwise they'd need some kind of internal roller bearings like a lefty/Ocho fork (strut).
I received my Ripley‘s DPS back from a service rotated parallel by the tech. He said it was fine for me to twist it back myself and i had no issues.

Would be interested to hear more about the McLeod @creaky. A quick google had some people claiming that it was better for heavier riders. I need to put 250psi in the DPS, so I’d be interested in an option that made things a bit more supple.

have you come across some good feedback somewhere?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I received my Ripley‘s DPS back from a service rotated parallel by the tech. He said it was fine for me to twist it back myself and i had no issues.

Would be interested to hear more about the McLeod @creaky. A quick google had some people claiming that it was better for heavier riders. I need to put 250psi in the DPS, so I’d be interested in an option that made things a bit more supple.

have you come across some good feedback somewhere?
The MTBR thread on the Ripley v4 has some glowing feedback on the mcleod.

@SummitFever and @kten were making the little shock blush yesterday also in the 'what did you do today....' thread.

I did read some issues with failures/warranty issues from a couple of years ago so I would prefer to buy from someone local who can service/deal with any issues. However, I think that Shockcraft NZ is the nearest dealer??

Also, not sure if they make a 195x45 but you may need to reduce stroke on the 195x50, which would add to cost.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thanks @creaky. I have the older Ripley LS, so I’m not sure if the effect would be the same.

but the DPS will be due another service soon, so this could be a good time to switch it out.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... I would prefer to buy from someone local who can service/deal with any issues. However, I think that Shockcraft NZ is the nearest dealer??
They are pretty easy to fully rebuild at home. A couple of special tools but Manitou sell them and they're not expensive. The Aust suspension places should be able to service them easily as well, otherwise there is always Shockcraft in NZ.

Bike24 have them at a good price: https://www.bike24.com/p2125949.html otherwise if you bought it direct from Shockcraft you could probably get the 5mm travel limiting spacer installed at the same time. You might also want to consider the King Can (higher volume air can). I didn't need one on the Spitty but I do like to run lower pressures with more ramp up at the end stroke so typically prefer the standard/smaller air can.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Option B.
Yeah, I know. I found a link in the link. They probably need to promote it a bit better. I always give them plenty of room, because I don't want the inconvenience of accidentally murdering someone, but I see some crazy shit regularly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is this 1.5 M over 60 kph a new rule, or am I just a backward boomer?

You really are out of the loop @ripvanwinkle! A few years ago I nearly had a fist fight with a toothless bogan that wanted to get a piece of me over this very issue. It was bizarre...

I was riding on a usually not very busy stretch of road (it was my daily commute for a while) that is in the middle of bum fuck nowhere and straight for maybe 800m. It's popular to drive along this rather fast and many accidents have happened.

I'm putting along on the absolute edge of the road, off the sealed surface is not possible. A school bus overtakes me. A boosted up shit looking ute pills out on the bus's slip stream...and the bus has plenty of time to get back over before the oncoming truck gets to them, but I don't think the ute has seen the truck.

Bus pulls over, ute diver seems to shit his pants and swerves off the road to avoid the truck then hammers back on the road and over into the correct lane. I'm like "what a dickhead..." On the inside.

Well up the road a wee way and there is the ute pulled over and seemingly waiting for me. It turns out that is just his house He is in front ot., But he is waiting outside all the same. He goes ape shit about me nearly causing an accident. The reason? He explains to me that he is required by law to give me 1.5m when passing me and that put him in danger of being hit by the oncoming truck...

I know what you're thinking. I tried to calmly go with the "mate...if it isn't safe to overtake, you're supposed to wait until it is." But he wasn't having any of that. He just seems to think I didn't understand and kept at me about the 1.5m and how dangerous that was and I shouldn't be in the road and rego and on and on and I should've just run you down our there and solve the problem and fuck me was his lady friend ugly and getting in on the act too!!! So I decided to ease my way out this negative space as quickly as I could.

Is that your woman or your sister? Probably both you dimwitted sister fucker. You're as ugly as each other. Your parents were probably siblings too, it's why your eyes don't work you blind piece of shit...that kind of conflict resolving stuff. I'm not proud of what I did, but surely they needed to know the people were seeing through their facade?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
There's some large grey area in it too. You can cross double lines "when it's safe" ...... yeah, um .... the point of double lines is ....?

View attachment 360319
I think that's a motorbike in those pics, not a pushbike?

In NSW it's ok to cross unbroken lines to go around a bicycle on a blind corner or with immediate oncoming traffic.

At least that seems to be a thing in the Royal National Park.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
There's some large grey area in it too. You can cross double lines "when it's safe" ...... yeah, um .... the point of double lines is ....?

View attachment 360319
This is an absolute crack up, write ambiguity into the rules that we all have to decide for ourselves "when it's safe" yet the police apply the law as black and white. in short, fucked both ways.

While i'm on a rant..... How the fuck is it that using a mobile phone while driving is the equivalent of drink driving yet police are exempt from the rule? do they have superhero concentration/observation and reactions do they?

Do as i say, not as i do, and it's $1000! which by the way is fine with me, but the exemption is not...

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Is that your woman or your sister? Probably both you dimwitted sister fucker. You're as ugly as each other. Your parents were probably siblings too, it's why your eyes don't work you blind piece of shit...that kind of conflict resolving stuff. I'm not proud of what I did, but surely they needed to know the people were seeing through their facade?
You sound like me.

Walking my dog a few days ago, a feral looking young fella (20 ish) was riding past me on a step-thru. I gave him a nod and may have smirked ....
10 minutes later he was riding past me again and giving me the death stare. I smiled, he yelled "WHAT?" I said "pull ya head in mate, you're the one staring" he stopped 10 metres past me, pretty much screaming now "well why were you staring at me before?"
I replied "I said hello and was looking at your bike, mate"
Steaming now, he blurts "well FUCK OFF! is it your's?"
I started walking towards him, and said laughing "nah, it's your mum's, I reckon" .... he rode away yelling abuse :oops: