The revitalized Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 - build in progress

teK--

Eats Squid
That was very informative :)
I actually read the characteristics, seems there is a hardening effect.

*update
... i am so tempted to get hope brakes and just ditch the Saints, might just return or get them replaced and sell them =(
I wonder Hope Tech 3 E4 or V4?
Try and get the Saints working first. You won't be disappointed.

markgab

Likes Dirt
Try and get the Saints working first. You won't be disappointed.
bike-components wouldn't want to give me credit and swap to another brand of disc brakes and i am willing to top up the difference and cover the return shipping cost which cost me $78 to ship back the brakes....

Instead their reply was... (Shimano will repair the brake, there is no exchange possible. But maybe I can give you a better price and you sell the Saint by yourself)
LOL wow.... am speechless (selling one dollar one dollar!)......

Received my engraved lizard skin grips/gloves/patches yesterday, didn't have time to open so i placed the package it on my table.
When i reached home, it was already opened?

By who? #dumbdog
My dog deiced to chew through it.... 1 end cap and leather patches ruined :tsk:

... gotta reorder the end caps and can't wait for my other orange parts to arrive :)

#dumbdog

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
bike-components wouldn't want to give me credit and swap to another brand of disc brakes and i am willing to top up the difference and cover the return shipping cost which cost me $78 to ship back the brakes....

Instead their reply was... (Shimano will repair the brake, there is no exchange possible. But maybe I can give you a better price and you sell the Saint by yourself)
LOL wow.... am speechless (selling one dollar one dollar!)......

Received my engraved lizard skin grips/gloves/patches yesterday, didn't have time to open so i placed the package it on my table.
When i reached home, it was already opened?

By who? #dumbdog
My dog deiced to chew through it.... 1 end cap and leather patches ruined :tsk:

... gotta reorder the end caps and can't wait for my other orange parts to arrive :)

#dumbdog
www.shameyourpet.com

Go on, you know you want to.

markgab

Likes Dirt
A wash after The Oaks - Woodford to Glenbrook

Reinstalled my XT disc and went for a spin at the oaks.

Was an easy ride, not very technical.

Loved the 1x10 setup, shifting was smooth as butter with no chain slaps :)

Have to take note in future, do NOT start riding the trail at 5pm LOL
It's cold, it'll rain and you'll run out of batteries....... lol that's what happened to me :whistle:
My light ran out and i had to use my iphones flash -_-!

markgab

Likes Dirt
Added all the orange parts and saint brakes to my bike and went to manly for a test ride at 5pm lol

Received the xfusion slant today, Ducan from DIYMTB is a legend! (best customer service! paid Friday afternoon, received fork Monday morning)
The drcv float 32 works really well but i find it alittle flexy for my weight!
However, the fork really surprises me as I never bottomed out and I'm 85kg (without gear), the second air chamber really helps.

Can't wait to fit the slant on :) hopefully it's stiffer than the fox 32 float drcv.
To think of it.... i've replaced almost every part of the bike except for the frame, rear sus, crank arms & dropper post.
Saddle, stem, handlebar on their way :)...... suffering from OCD.....

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
enjoying seeing this build coming along!

where did you buy those carbon bars?
are those RF crank boots on shimano cranks?
have/would you consider spray painting that white pivot link to black to match up your new fork..... saddle?

hopefully see you out on the trails!

markgab

Likes Dirt
enjoying seeing this build coming along!

where did you buy those carbon bars?
are those RF crank boots on shimano cranks?
have/would you consider spray painting that white pivot link to black to match up your new fork..... saddle?

hopefully see you out on the trails!
Those bontrager carbon bars came as stock.
It'll be replaced with a thomson setup though (on back order)

Yea those are race face boots (small), i believe (standard size) are only for saints.
They really help protect your crank legs :)

Yes i am considering painting the link, dont know if i should DIY with cans or get a pro :x
Saddle would be black sam hills scrub edition :)

Agostino

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure I saw you (spotted your bike anyway) at OMV as I was driving out on Saturday arvo?

Nice bike, I'd probably paint linkage black. Not orange or light blue like the frame.

BTW drive side photos are always better IMO and switch those cable ties for blue or black ones :p

markgab

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure I saw you (spotted your bike anyway) at OMV as I was driving out on Saturday arvo?

Nice bike, I'd probably paint linkage black. Not orange or light blue like the frame.

BTW drive side photos are always better IMO and switch those cable ties for blue or black ones :p
Yeaps was at OMV on Saturday afternoon :D
First time there and had a blast! Really nice trail :)

Hahaha yes I should change the cable ties, bunnings it is and gonna check out some paint or an automotive paint shop =D

Time to update the frame :) it's a vicious cycle ... haha
Hahahahaha no never! *although I was tempted to get a yeti*

ChopSticks

Banned

god..... I think you've been spending too much time with me
since when did you ever care about stuff like that LOLOLOLOL

Yeaps was at OMV on Saturday afternoon :D
Bugger! missed you/bike as I was riding with Agostino earlier that day. Maybe next time at OMV!
how did you find the track and the bike?

Black linkage gets my vote! and please take off those safety stickers from you rotors!

Last edited:

markgab

Likes Dirt
I was going to say the same things chops but his hubs are orange and pretty sure that's what your seeing.
Yeaps it's an illusion :) it's my hubs.

god..... I think you've been spending too much time with me
since when did you ever care about stuff like that LOLOLOLOL

Bugger! missed you/bike as I was riding with Agostino earlier that day. Maybe next time at OMV!
how did you find the track and the bike?

Black linkage gets my vote! and please take off those safety stickers from you rotors!
OMV is just awesome :)
Went there last week (Thursday) and trail was close..... should have checked trail status -__-
Bike performed smoothly, fork was pretty plush and i reckon the 15mm increase in travel played no change in geometry.

Just got my handlebar and stem today!
Can't wait to install them.

My last final touch to the bike is most likely the white link =(
Might be a months time when my buddy is available to spray paint em, worried that i'd screwup when DIY.

Last edited:

markgab

Likes Dirt

The feeling of hope brakes are so different!

One more thing to do with my bike, paint the link and i'll be satisfied :)