The rise and fall of mountain biking

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Saw this come through my inbox from SBS Cycling Central today:
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentra...e-of-mountain-biking?position=image&cid=23218

And it made me think of some discussion I've seen on RB previously re. do you actually want mountain biking to be more popular (say, as popular as road cycling with similar money)?

Obviously, there are pro's to this - more trail development, more money in comps, more people to ride with. But there are downsides to, such as more crowded trails, more publicity (good & bad, but the media loves bad more), and probably more hate from other interest groups.

Personally, I've loved the change seen over the last decade or so in trail development in Brisbane & uptake of the sport, but I have noticed the existing popular areas getting very busy (namely, Gap Creek). This in turn has led me to discover new areas though and expand my horizons. Having the good, easy to access trails though has helped me recruit new people to the sport & get new riding buddies, which is a good thing. So I guess I'm in 2 minds about it, I like the organized trail building and legitimacy of the new trail areas, but I don't want so many people on the mountain that it's impossible to get a clean run. The legitimacy of it as a sport has also been highlighted by things such as the construction & funding of Stromlo Mountain Bike Park, which I see as a big step forward.

So what's your feel? Do you want the mom & pop groups getting into the sport in a less intense way, or would you prefer to leave it to the enthusiasts, operating on the fringes of acceptability as a sport? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

natskis

Likes Bikes
The more the better.

If every able person in this country was into this sport, that would be the optimal level.

There would be tens of THOUSANDS of amazing trails built.
Millions more great minds put to the task to optimising the experience.

Jim Junkie

Absolutely, but what concerns me is the large minority stage, like where road cycling is at right now. With increasing numbers there's more of a temptation to paint everyone with the same brush & vilify them (motorists vs cyclists), there's potential for this to occur on trails too with other trail users. I'm not saying that's a reason to not promote the sport, but it should definitely be considered and the image managed, which is difficult with rapid growth.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is a knife edge...

I miss the good old days when I could wander into the forest and make a trail to suit my style (or lack there of) and not have the ranger, trail access group, general pubic, parents taking tots riding etc get on my case.

While the masses have their advantages in creating legitimate access, that access is often pretty bland.

Also, is it just my misconception due to working in an office full of middle aged overweight oxygen thives or are most people really fucking stupid? It seems that their common understanding of what mountain biking is falls somewhere around an image of TV holidays show hosts in short shorts riding a shit hire bike on a fire road.

wavike

Likes Dirt
I think access to flatish fireroads and rail trails are the go for getting families into the sport, and keeping the singles from getting clogged up with riders who shouldn't be on them (yet). On the down side, it used to be easy getting an entry level bike - giant alias 50% or something else for under a grand. The bikes then had mostly name parts, even if low end. So you could compare. Now it's all giant/trek/??? wheels forks etc.
I'm seeing a lot of similarities with sailboarding in the 80's early 90's. Grew really big with marathon, slalom, surf - Olympic sport, world tours. Then high cost/performance came in, beginners seeing the cost of one sail being more than a whole setup used to be. Sports pretty well dead now as far as I can see.
Lots of individual riders around, but SEQ have lost a most of the main event organizers over the last couple of years. Group social rides are few. Bris Sth club seem to be the only ones promoting grassroots stuff, and that's mostly down to a small but keen committee.

Jim Junkie

Haha, maybe just your office? Mine is full of mtb'ers of all types from competitive downhill to weekend warriors, with a 200 strong bicycle user group. That may be the exception though....

As for the bland legitimate access, I'm inclined to agree there. I've noticed a lot of technical sections of track like rock gardens & so on that I have been working to master are getting groomed over with big wide super highways with very little challenge. A bit of a shame really.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Depends on what you define as 'fall'. For me it's not about the numbers whether it is the money invested in the sport or the critical mass of participants. It's about the spirit of MTB. We're quite a welcoming bunch, very laid back and that's what makes it good. It doesn't matter if you're riding a 80's steel rigid or the latest upside-down rock shox everyone is out to give it a go and smash the trails. I recently had a flat and all of the people that passed asked if I needed help. This ranged from a young gothic looking guy, two girls who looked very sharp on the corners, some oldies on 10 year old bikes and a guy so kitted up I'm sure he was starting wombat 100 2 months early. When you hit your predetermined rest spot, everyone is usually friendly and probably complains about that snake they just ran over last week of the stupidity of that tree stump that could pierce anything that touched it.

Compared this to road riding where help is more rare, there are egos all around. Everyone is quiet and keeps to themselves. It's all about the gear. Sure there are good roadies and most of us probably do both but I am certainly not imagining the difference in culture. If this ever translated to MTB I would call that the fall of MTB. Economically speaking, I think MTB will be fine.

floody

Wheel size expert
If it gets a lot bigger, it probably will tank, yes. Already happened in the late 1990s-early 2000s.
The huge trend away from grassroots competition to huge corporate event managed 'experiences' will be the first thing to go belly up...Then when all the Outback XV driving, slightly grey professionals flock to the next fitness craze there will be another round of mass attrition of manufacturers and a slowdown or halt in equipment development.

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
To me its a complete non issue. People getting outside and active - great.
The beauty of mountain biking is its flexibility and various forms - make it what you like.

People learning to surf though - that's a whole different story. Stay off my waves brah. :wink:

Jim Junkie

Depends on what you define as 'fall'. For me it's not about the numbers whether it is the money invested in the sport or the critical mass of participants. It's about the spirit of MTB. We're quite a welcoming bunch, very laid back and that's what makes it good. It doesn't matter if you're riding a 80's steel rigid or the latest upside-down rock shox everyone is out to give it a go and smash the trails. I recently had a flat and all of the people that passed asked if I needed help. This ranged from a young gothic looking guy, two girls who looked very sharp on the corners, some oldies on 10 year old bikes and a guy so kitted up I'm sure he was starting wombat 100 2 months early. When you hit your predetermined rest spot, everyone is usually friendly and probably complains about that snake they just ran over last week of the stupidity of that tree stump that could pierce anything that touched it.

Compared this to road riding where help is more rare, there are egos all around. Everyone is quiet and keeps to themselves. It's all about the gear. Sure there are good roadies and most of us probably do both but I am certainly not imagining the difference in culture. If this ever translated to MTB I would call that the fall of MTB. Economically speaking, I think MTB will be fine.
This is a big part of the issue for me. I've had similar experiences with being stuck out on the trail fixing something and nearly everyone stops to render assistance. I've been on both the receiving & giving end and it's a good feeling both ways.

The bigger a community gets, the less I think this is likely to happen. There's more anonymity, more apprehension as you're not as likely to be dealing with a fellow enthusiast, and generally just less of a community feeling. Personally, I think this would be a great loss.

However...
It's also occurred to me that what you'd probably end up with is 2 different groups under 1 name - the enthusiasts, still going out & finding some 'extreme' trails, and the general masses, sticking to the popular legitimate areas. There'd be a fair bit of crossover, but still distinct. The general masses would be almost like a feeder group to the enthusiasts.

Quintin

Eats Squid
Also, is it just my misconception due to working in an office full of middle aged overweight oxygen thives or are most people really fucking stupid? It seems that their common understanding of what mountain biking is falls somewhere around an image of TV holidays show hosts in short shorts riding a shit hire bike on a fire road.
ha. made me laugh, but i have found that most people actually have the complete opposite idea of the sport - probably because of that media coverage of that kid who hit a huge gap in the blue mtns a couple of years back and ended up getting choppered out. of course it wouldnt have got any air time if there wasnt any footage of it. nonetheless ive found they think i am evil kenevil or something.

As for the bland legitimate access, I'm inclined to agree there. I've noticed a lot of technical sections of track like rock gardens & so on that I have been working to master are getting groomed over with big wide super highways with very little challenge. A bit of a shame really.
case in point: dingo's

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Happy with where it's at.

My local trails are already too busy to ride quickly at weekends, so I try and ride elsewhere - it's getting to the point where those in the know are all riding 5km away on old school rough and ready trails in non sanctioned areas.

floody

Wheel size expert
Nothing wrong with it, but when the eco-fitness-challenge junkies go onto something else and the dollar powered events collapse there will be a big void where the big event management companies took the place of clubs, local shops and smaller competition events.

indica

Serial flasher
do you actually want mountain biking to be more popular (say, as popular as road cycling with similar money)?

?
Where I live there is clearly more money being poured into MTB than road riding. In excess of $1,000,000 is being spent here on dedicated trails and I have never seen a road put in for roadies.
Heaps of money has been spent in Smithfield MTB park on the cross country and dh trails for the WC and W Champs.

Or do you mean prize money?
We have been there and done that,