The rise and fall of mountain biking

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
lol, last time I asked this question I was spoken to like some dolt that "just didn't get it", like there was some sort of objective reality that only a fool couldn't see.

Aaaaanyway, definitely a fine line. More peeps means more trail funding, videos to watch on websites and hopefully cheaper parts. But it also means more crowded trails, potentially more wankers who drop rubbish and cause difficulties and bring greater heat on the sport when they cut trails where they shouldn't (abuse locals, walkers, horse riders and so on).

My local trail has become continually more and more crowded. Just recently I was pelting down a section that I've pelted for 3 years now. A lady of around 50 years was riding up hill, we fronted each other on a bend, I went off track to miss her, washed out and almost collected a tree. Shit happens, I had a laugh, made a comment of being spectacular and all I got back was a look of "Why do you have to ride like that, can't you be more considerate of others who are using the trails?". She said nothing and rode off with an air of indignance about her, even though it was me that went bush for her. She was clearly new to riding trails, which was clear not only by the way she rode her bike but also by the fact she was shocked to find people riding down hills in a frantic manner - unlike her highly measured, nervous and risk averse manner of riding.

And this is what I fear most and which has been touched on above - moderate riders and young kids hitting trails when they would be much more suited to dirt roads and scenic rides. I fear that us more racey types will be forced to accommodate for the lower skilled and less adventurous riders so that "everyone can enjoy the sport". That means gnar'd out sections becoming sanitised so riders of all ability levels can enjoy it, downhill sections of trails being covered with signs saying "reduce speed" and in general the trails being crowded out by people wearing stack hats and elbow pads.

My second greatest fear is the sport being inundated with idiots who start cutting trails where they shouldn't, littering the bush and trying to build crappy north shore shit everywhere, kind of like the way things were in the mid 2000s.

teK--

Eats Squid
I would like the sport to have enough support in Australia to have good free to air TV coverage, but I'm not so keen on the trails becoming too busy. Sure there will be more investment in more trails, but there is only so much you can build without having to travel further and further away from home to avoid the crowds.

On the other hand anything to get kids more active in sports would be good; keeps em out of trouble and off the couch...

Also it would be great if some more MTB specific shops opened up with a good selection of mid to high end gear; everything around here is lame as, but that is what the general populace wants....

teK--

Eats Squid
My local trail has become continually more and more crowded. Just recently I was pelting down a section that I've pelted for 3 years now. A lady of around 50 years was riding up hill, we fronted each other on a bend, I went off track to miss her, washed out and almost collected a tree. Shit happens, I had a laugh, made a comment of being spectacular and all I got back was a look of "Why do you have to ride like that, can't you be more considerate of others who are using the trails?". She said nothing and rode off with an air of indignance about her, even though it was me that went bush for her. She was clearly new to riding trails, which was clear not only by the way she rode her bike but also by the fact she was shocked to find people riding down hills in a frantic manner - unlike her highly measured, nervous and risk averse manner of riding.

And this is what I fear most and which has been touched on above - moderate riders and young kids hitting trails when they would be much more suited to dirt roads and scenic rides. I fear that us more racey types will be forced to accommodate for the lower skilled and less adventurous riders so that "everyone can enjoy the sport". That means gnar'd out sections becoming sanitised so riders of all ability levels can enjoy it, downhill sections of trails being covered with signs saying "reduce speed" and in general the trails being crowded out by people wearing stack hats and elbow pads.

My second greatest fear is the sport being inundated with idiots who start cutting trails where they shouldn't, littering the bush and trying to build crappy north shore shit everywhere, kind of like the way things were in the mid 2000s.
THIS. Too many people think riding on singletrack is a dawdle on the bike path on Sunday.

Fraggler

Likes Bikes
That's bound to happen but people seem to be against 1 way tracks. I can't see why a track couldn't be designated a direction for a period, some down, some up, and every few weeks rotate them.

teK--

Eats Squid
That's bound to happen but people seem to be against 1 way tracks. I can't see why a track couldn't be designated a direction for a period, some down, some up, and every few weeks rotate them.
That'd not only be confusing but downright dangerous.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
How can a one-way sign be confusing?
I can see how it'd be confusing if it changed direction every 2 weeks.

I did enjoy the 1 way tracks at Stromlo though, and it does help sort out the traffic. That said, I do like riding a trail reverse time to time, just to mix things up. It depends on the trail though, some really should be 1 way IMO.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I can definitely see the merit in the debate.

My fav two tracks at the moment are Bruce Ridge and Stromlo - the former two way and the latter one way.

I cannot go hell for leather on Bruce Ridge because of the two way traffic. I've clocked myself at 32kph on one section and I know that if some one was coming up the hill there'd be trouble as visibility is low given the trail is heavily tree'd. Lately the trails have become much more crowded, recently i even came across a "learn to ride" session of almost 30 people split in to two groups, many of them over 40s, like myself. It's difficult to enjoy the trail to its fullest potential when it's two way traffic. Of course, signs won't completely remove the risk of head-ons but will likely reduce it to a large degree. Secondly, there may be implications for conservation as riding in opposing directions may mitigate the impact certain parts of the track experiences.

I enjoy riding Stromers knowing that I can go flat out without much risk of a head on but I often wonder what it would be like to ride many of the sections in the opposite direction. I'm not a big fan of having too many rules and restrictions on trails but if the trails were properly sign posted at each entrance and key junctions I can see reversing the direction every 3-4 months being workable and increasing the fun by allowing faster riding and also enjoying the trails both ways.

I eagerly await the committee's response on this matter.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I ride mostly one direction trails, but also share it with walkers, so anytime I'm going fast and can't see round the corner I yell out "BIKE " just in case someone is there. Others I ride with do the same but use "rider". Lol - I just have to be different!

Yes, it has saved me once.

Oh, and don't even mention people with iPhones in their ears......

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
THIS. Too many people think riding on singletrack is a dawdle on the bike path on Sunday.
Yeah dude, kooks harshing your vibe, stopping you from shredding the gnar...

Shades of the grumpy surfer - I can relate. More bodies and a limited resource. But, just like cliches - change is inevitable.

Its how you deal with it. If you want empty trails choose your time and place. If there is the potential for others - see these beginners as sponges ready to soak up your trail knowledge and impart it. In the end, you are still outside riding your bike.

Fraggler

Likes Bikes
Imagine if on the roads every fortnight they said everyone drive on other side of the road.
What? For starters, I never said every fortnight and I only added the rotation suggestion because people like to go up tracks that others like to go down; rotating the directions could keep it safer in crowded situations while not limiting a track long term. It was only a suggestion for handling crowded single tracks with growing population.

As for your analogy, you already ride the tracks both ways. It's not like when you suddenly go up-hill you forget which side of the single track you're on! The signs at the start and end of the tracks would stop anyone who could read or understand the most basic of safety signs from going up the wrong way.

The other day I came across a track that had a big track closed sign on it: it was open the week before. That really threw me and I didn't know what to do!

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
The signs at the start and end of the tracks would stop anyone who could read or understand the most basic of safety signs from going up the wrong way.

..except the three guys I encountered going the wrong way on one-way trail at Langford Park on Sunday morning -.-

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I can definitely see the merit in the debate.

My fav two tracks at the moment are Bruce Ridge and Stromlo - the former two way and the latter one way.

I cannot go hell for leather on Bruce Ridge because of the two way traffic. I've clocked myself at 32kph on one section and I know that if some one was coming up the hill there'd be trouble as visibility is low given the trail is heavily tree'd. Lately the trails have become much more crowded, recently i even came across a "learn to ride" session of almost 30 people split in to two groups, many of them over 40s, like myself. It's difficult to enjoy the trail to its fullest potential when it's two way traffic. Of course, signs won't completely remove the risk of head-ons but will likely reduce it to a large degree. Secondly, there may be implications for conservation as riding in opposing directions may mitigate the impact certain parts of the track experiences.

I enjoy riding Stromers knowing that I can go flat out without much risk of a head on but I often wonder what it would be like to ride many of the sections in the opposite direction. I'm not a big fan of having too many rules and restrictions on trails but if the trails were properly sign posted at each entrance and key junctions I can see reversing the direction every 3-4 months being workable and increasing the fun by allowing faster riding and also enjoying the trails both ways.

I eagerly await the committee's response on this matter.
From my experience at Stomlo the 1 way did make a big difference to the perceived congestion on the trails and how hard you could push it down the hill without worrying that someone was coming the other way. All in all, I thought it was a big plus and the trails seemed to have been designed with one direction in mind, reducing the desire to ride it the other way around.

I can also sympathise with the 'learn to ride' groups, which seem to be gaining popularity lately. If I go riding during a peak time (weekend mornings), it's getting pretty common to have to pull over mid-trail and wait 5 minutes for everyone to cruise on by in the other direction. The flipside is they pull over, but seem to think the lip of a drop on the A-line is a perfect place to get out of the way. One of the first things these learn to ride sessions should cover is trail etiquette.

For a 1 way system to work, obviously you need enough trails in place to offer an enjoyable circuit. Gap Creek, for one, is getting closer to allowing tracks like Rocket Frog to go 1 way, with the climb via Skink Link, but that still requires a fire trail slog, which some object to (so you'll find them halfway up a climb of RF).

So I'm all in support of 1 way trails, but I think for the most part the existing trail networks would need a bit of expansion to handle it properly.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
I think MTB is at a good spot at the moment here in AUS. I too recall the boom times of the late 90's-early 00's in the minds of the mainstream consciousness. It was bound to happen, the market place bubble. Sport is slowly growing. There are some good grass roots trail advocacy groups getting some wins for trails. Thankfully no one is building hideous north short stuff, plenty of great OZ landscape to put in challenging trails. Obviously the the You Yangs is a great model to show case what is being done in the sport. But overall, it's still going to be a fringe sport in Australia.