The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

shakes

Likes Dirt
fantastic photo's speshrider.

I would love to have a go at editing that first one if you dont mind?

singleminded

Likes Bikes
Power to the people

Lovin' the details and passion in this thread.
Its got my son and I and a riding buddy inspired to tackle the BNT, starting form Heallesvile (just up the road from us), in January 2012.
Looking at being out for about 2 weeks of self-sufficient bikepacking.
A question that keeps surfacing is how to power the electronics for days on end? Our plans aren't set in concrete but we want to stick to the actual BNT as much as possible and as such goes through very few 'plug-in' options. How have others tackled this issue??
Damo from Cog bike cafe did this ride in Feb. 2011 :-

http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/bnt-australia/

.....and used a very small solar panel with built in battery(?) mounted to the top of his helmet. His comment was that it was just OK but didn't really do the job as intended. Further discussion would suggest that there are simular units of this type out there that pack more punch----but where are they and are they any better?? Apparently there was an article on a simular unit in a recent MTB magazine, anyone come across it? Electronics and all things related are very much my weak point, so any assistance would be appreciated.
For what its worth, we are looking at these Tarptents as our shelter option:-

http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html#overview

Assorted Revelate bags are ordered and should arrive soon!!

m_g

Likes Dirt
A question that keeps surfacing is how to power the electronics for days on end? Our plans aren't set in concrete but we want to stick to the actual BNT as much as possible and as such goes through very few 'plug-in' options. How have others tackled this issue??
Not that environmentally friendly but you can use the energizer energi to go packs...

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/mobile_phones/energizer/energi_to_go/220978

Then you just need to stash a bunch of batteries (I use lithiums and they seem to work well)...I use one on my Garmin GPS/HR monitor, and you can get all sorts of mobile phone cables to suit your model

shakes

Likes Dirt
Lovin' the details and passion in this thread.
Its got my son and I and a riding buddy inspired to tackle the BNT, starting form Heallesvile (just up the road from us), in January 2012.
Looking at being out for about 2 weeks of self-sufficient bikepacking.
Damo from Cog bike cafe did this ride in Feb. 2011 :-

http://www.bikepacking.net/tripreports/bnt-australia/

.....and used a very small solar panel with built in battery(?) mounted to the top of his helmet. His comment was that it was just OK but didn't really do the job as intended. Further discussion would suggest that there are simular units of this type out there that pack more punch----but where are they and are they any better?? Apparently there was an article on a simular unit in a recent MTB magazine, anyone come across it? Electronics and all things related are very much my weak point, so any assistance would be appreciated.
For what its worth, we are looking at these Tarptents as our shelter option:-

http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html#overview

Assorted Revelate bags are ordered and should arrive soon!!
A guy I'm working with is going this route...

http://www.stkildacycles.com.au/par...t-hub-dynamos?page=shop.browse&category_id=62

plus

(will insert link here to a capacitor style battery pack with USB input that will run you i-gizmo here when I find it again)

or

(another product I cant find that is actually a little fan run generator that has enough oomph to power more i-gizmo's)

I will be back with more usefull info soon!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I use a 4 x AA battery holder with a built in USB port to recharge phone and USB chargeable devices:

I modified it to include a white LED as an emergency torch and also some leads to connect to my RC digital voltmeter. Entire setup weighs 64g without batteries:

More pics and info here.

singleminded

Likes Bikes
Summitfever.
Where does one get such an item? Is it just like an everyday electronics shop shelf item or do I godda dig a little deeper?

QZ13.
The USB adapter plug-in looks interesting. I have a AYUP 6 hour battery that looks like it would plug into the adapter. I'm assuming this would buy me a lot of charge time between battery charges.

Shakes.
I considered the Dyno hub option. This trip will be our first attempt ( of hopefully plenty more ) bikepacking adventures, so B4 I go investing that sort of money ( and weight ), I want to make sure I'm committed for the long haul.
Also, as stated above, electonics ain't my thing. I need 'knuckles-dragging-on-the-ground' simplicity. My brain isn't 'wired' to understand electronics. However the more I read about dyno hubs the more I believe they are a brilliant power-source option.

Another question.
What sort of usage time are people getting out of a Garmin 800, riding in this sort of enviroment, between charges, and how long does it take to re-charge a fully flat '800' on mains??

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Summitfever.
Where does one get such an item? Is it just like an everyday electronics shop shelf item or do I godda dig a little deeper?
I can't remember exactly. I think I got the battery holder from Jaycar. Give them a go first. The other stuff I'm pretty sure I got from Dealextreme.

Dyno hubs are a big commitment as you need a new front wheel. The gold standard in that sort of thing are the Schmidt ones, and in particular the SONdelux. Weight is 395g, so only 5g heavier than the claimed "Bling Bling super lite weight Dynamo hubs" from klite. The efficiency on the SONdelux is very good. I think its a bit misleading to call the Bling Bling Dynamo hubs "super lite weight". Schmidt also make a stack of very useful accessories like dynamo drive USB chargers etc. For LED lighting you use the under-driven 20" wheel version for greater efficiency. They can also handle radial lacing (but I'd only do this on the non-disc side).

Dyno hubs are great on a daily commuter and possibly on trips of >7 days without resupply. For anything shorter between resupply its much better to go AA lithium batteries. They are very light for their power density, you can get them almost anywhere, and if you can't you can always use any other AA's.

Personally, I'd avoid the commercial USB rechargers that use only 2 AA batteries. They utilise a boost circuit to get the battery supply voltage up to the 5V needed for USB charging. This makes them far less efficient than running 4 x AAs. A fair percentage of the battery power will be going to waste. If you want to go the 2 AA route I'd utilise the MintyBoost open source circuit. Its about as good as it gets, but even so operates at 82% efficiency (although it will get every last drop out of your batteries).

singleminded

Likes Bikes
Yep, Jaycar has the 4 x AA ones @ $6.95 each ( without the light!! ). Grabbed a couple.
Solar power options appear limited, although Garmin apparently have one available.

WildWassa

Banned
Wassa still has a strong hold on the Gold medal for high country photography!
Canbaroo, Mate you are far too kind ... and thank you. I like the shots of others, especially of places that I haven't seen.

I also like the Travelling Stock Routes of NSW. Out on those back tracks ... I'm really big on sheep shots. The paddocks are full of sheep. It is fantastic to see the farm dams full after more than a decade of drought. I'm on le grand- tour around Cavan, Glenrock, Wee Jasper and Yass (not Italy) and I came back to Canberra to change my tyres for ones with some grip. Some of the hills at the back of the Murrumbidgee are not long or high but they're like the BNT in Victoria for lack of grip. I've changed the Larson TTs back to a Crossmark and a Rendez(front). The TT obviously doesn't stand for Tourist Trophy or Time Trial when I use then, I think TT could be French for Tuff Titties. I'll keep one TT as a spare or for when I'm on the tarmac, instead of the Rendez.

Shaun the Sheep on Dog Trap Road.

The road to Cavan.

Shaun on Cavan Road. Shaun is lurking just over the brow ... spot him? The tablelands look more like emerald English pastures than straw bleached Aussie paddocks.

Shaun attempting to push over a giant Red Gum on Horse Shoe Road while others are lining-up to have their turn. For a sheep pushing over this tree is like pulling the 'sword from the stone', legendary stuff. Many sheep try, many leave disappointed ... and still they come in droves.

Shaun on Mountain Creek Road.

Do you know the normally skinny little creek that flows under Taemus Bridge? I believe it is still there somewhere.

At Burrinjuck, I'd planned to ride around the edge of the lake and find a good quiet place to hide and camp for a week and then do day rides around the lake checking-out some marine fossils ... but the lake is 99% full. So I rode back to Canberra, I've changed my tyres, bought a couple of topos of the northern Brindies, cursed both the Kiwis and the French and topped up the grub.

... and now, a parting shot of Shaun the Sheep playing with a dog.

It has been unbelievably warm weather, 8°C above average and surprisingly warm at night ... I hope it lasts. It is good to be touring with no shortage of water either. I have an MSR Sweatwater filter and boil water for 8 minutes. Sheep+dogs=Hydatids Country. There are lots of feral dogs in the ranges, they get a bit noisy at night.

It has taken a bit of planning to get permission from graziers to take private roads so that I can keep off the tarmac as much as pos'. I don't use Google Maps or the GPS for navigation out on the back roads, it is unwise. Some of the public road signs have been altered (I'm guessing by graziers) to there property names, I have found. The topos have the property names unlike my GPS. Also some of the public roads that cross properties, I've also found have 'No Through Road' signs, falsely displayed, which is not infrequent. When you travel out on the back blocks the real maps make your day. I've had to challenge one grazier this trip who was telling fibs about having no entry on a public road. With the topo it was no contest.

I hope that you enjoyed the shots. I'm restarting the tour tomorrow going via Cavan from the NW of the ACT.

Warren.

Last edited:

singleminded

Likes Bikes
Lithium batteries

For anything shorter between resupply its much better to go AA lithium batteries. They are very light for their power density, you can get them almost anywhere, and if you can't you can always use any other AA's.
I mentioned the idea of using Lithium batteries to a guy at Jaycar. His comment was that lithium batteries don't like hot conditions. Not sure if he meant they don't like being used in hot conditions or that they don't like heat full-stop. I'm assuming heat is going to be an ever-present companion on our ride in January in the high country. Any thoughts?

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
I mentioned the idea of using Lithium batteries to a guy at Jaycar. His comment was that lithium batteries don't like hot conditions. Not sure if he meant they don't like being used in hot conditions or that they don't like heat full-stop. I'm assuming heat is going to be an ever-present companion on our ride in January in the high country. Any thoughts?
Yup, it will be hot, even above 1500m. First time I walked to Kozi it was 36 in Thredbo & 26 at the top but you can still get snow at any time too. Cant help you with the battery stuff, sorry.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Total BS. Assuming you use Energizer Lithium batteries, the Energizer product datasheet rates them:

Storage Temp:
-40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F)
Operating Temp:
-40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F)

In comparison, the Enegerizer alkalines are rated at:

Operating Temp:
-18°C to 55°C (0°F to 130°F)

You'll have to leave your batteries in the direct sun in the high country for fair while before they hit +60°C. In your pack they will never get close to 60°C. The Lithium batteries also work much better at lower temps. I have had to warm up NiMH batteries by carrying them in an inner pocket in the high country in winter just to get them to work. The Lithium batteries don't have this problem.

Take a look at the Lithium datasheet here - its well worth a read and provides some comparison graphs with Alkaline batteries as well as giving mAh ratings so you can compare to your rechargables.

speshrider

Likes Bikes
Another Brisbane Tour

Not really a photographer like WildWassa...and we cheated, took the credit card instead of a tent :eek:

I just finished a loop from Esk, mainly using railtrails to get to Blackbutt. We stayed at Blackbutt in the pub and than rode back via (dirt) country roads. This was my partners first 'bike touring' experience, she loved it! The loop is about 160 km all up, most of it on dirt, maybe 40 km of bitumen in it.

Rail Trail near Esk

Linville Station

More Rail Trail

Blackbutt pub

BNT near Emu Creek

Emu Creek

We found a BNT marker!

The long road..60 k's no town, no cars..

Lunch at Andurumba hall

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Chiming into this great thread regarding dynamos and lighting.

The Schmidt hubs are great - no noticeable drag when disconnected from a device, and almost no noticeable drag when hooked up to a decent light. Audax and road riders often use the 20 models because they ride at higher average speeds and so can spin those hubs fast enough to produce sufficient output. For most mtb, commuting or touring riders who ride at lower speeds, the 28 model hubs, optimised for lower revs, are a better option.

I use the Supernova e3 pro light http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3pro.html which has excellent light output. The e3 triple version puts out more light, good for off-road use, but drags the hub slightly more. There's a K-lite light unit in production somewhere for me which I'm looking forward to trying. By all accounts it should have similar output to the Supernova in a lighter unit, and obviously some level of customisation, which is cool.

As far as charging other devices, there's the classic B and M E-werk, which you can adjust the amperage and voltage output of, and which comes with a few different plugs. I'm not sure if it comes with a USB plug or not...

There's also the very neat and tidy "the plug" by German touring/clydesdale bike manufacturer Tout Terrain (still German) http://www.en.tout-terrain.de/accessories/electric-power-supply/the-plug-ii/ which looks like an elegant solution, cable runs down through the steerer, then down the right fork leg to the dynamo.

Checking google it seems there are a few cheaper units which run off bottle dynamos as well, possibly worth adapting to a dynamo hub.

- Joel