The Single Speed Thread

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys.

I'm needing to replace the stock rear wheel on my Kona Unit after riding the thing into the ground. I am looking to get a set of hope hoops online, but wanted to know if the AL free hub body is an issue with SS cog. My current one is just a bog ordinary cog, would that cut into an AL free hub? Do you have to get a cog with a wider plate (if that's the term).

Sorry if this is a basic question, I love riding it and am a mug punter rider, but have never looked into the details.

Cheers,

Coast

chrischris

Likes Dirt
I have some American Classic & Surly SS cogs. They have a wider base & never worry my freehub.

However, on rare occasions I'll put my 10sp cassette back on. Some of the smaller cogs in the cassette do bite into the freehub.

By the way, I have a 14t surly cog for sale if anyone's interested? 15t is the best I can push.

moorey

call me Mia
Got a spare 15t that was kindly donated to me by disappearin. I was going to run a spare wheelset but won't, so let me know if you can use it.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys.

I'm needing to replace the stock rear wheel on my Kona Unit after riding the thing into the ground. I am looking to get a set of hope hoops online, but wanted to know if the AL free hub body is an issue with SS cog. My current one is just a bog ordinary cog, would that cut into an AL free hub? Do you have to get a cog with a wider plate (if that's the term).

Sorry if this is a basic question, I love riding it and am a mug punter rider, but have never looked into the details.

Cheers,

Coast
Hey Coaster,

If you've only got a narrow stamped steel cog, then yes, it will gouge the freehub body. In my not-so-limited experience with single speeds, you're probably better off getting a Surly cog. They have a 6.35mm wide base. It'll last forever and they're nice and round. Absolutely the best value cog out there. Others are lighter and nicer to look at, but you'll not go wrong with a Surly.

I get mine from http://www.jensonusa.com/Singlespeed-Cogs-and-Freewheels/Surly-Single-Speed-Cog and you might find your wheel there too. Shipping costs more usually from the US though.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
All the best of Sram including wheels + Intense Hard Eddie SS build in progress
Should be hella tight yo, I'll post pics up when it's complete, I'm keen :rockon:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
hey SSers - can you use a wide narrow chainring up front with a 10 speed chain and regular surly SS cog? I have always used non ramped DH chainrings and 9 speed chains.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Surly cogs

I now have 2 of my cogs with small marks on the teeth.

The 14t cog I rode on once. The 19t cog I ride quite often, but only just noticed it. My chain line is straight, and the chain tension is good.

How does this happen??? Any clues? They ride perfectly fine, but I'd like to avoid further damage. (The smaller photo shows the 14t & 19t together)

photo.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Handekk

Likes Dirt
I would look at the chain, check for kinks and or burrs on the chain plates or maybe the chain might be stretched?

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Teaser

So, after getting a replacement frame (2 day turnaround, I'm stunned) its almost ready
and my dropout is also a bottle opener ;)

IMG_1794.JPG